Mk2 Brake Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by lewi 8v, May 29, 2010.

1. tinydubs

tinydubs Forum Member

2. WillG

WillG Forum Member

3. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Valvers with 239s?

Regardless, it wasn't a late spec specific, it was still engine specific.

Do you always insult people for pointing things out or are you just socially inept in general.

4. clart Forum Member

Yep, early 8v + 16v had 239mm then later 16v's were upgraded to 256mm

5. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Yes...Valvers with 239s...weren`t you listening?...

Late-spec 16vs have 256mm, early ones have 239mm, making it precisely age-specific (when comparing valvers).

My original post was meant to say `Later 16vs`. An mistaken omission on my part.

And you didn`t `point something out`, you tried to state fact, and were (once again) wrong...hence me calling you a retard, which in your questioning my socially epititude, I`ll stand by. :thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  6. stew72 Forum Member

If you've got 239's at the moment then you might as well go to 280's.

take a look in the classifieds, I'm sure someone in there has a mk3 GTI set up available ;)

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

best to check if your wheels will fit over 280s though! 14s wont and even some 15s

8. lewi 8v New Member

I called the dude yesterday and asked,he said they are 280mm, defo won't fit under the RA's. I've got a MK3 as well, and measured them and as you probably know are 256mm. I think they will just fit under the RA's but then thats not taking the bigger callipers into consideration. I thought I could by the Seat ones i mentioned, and put the 256mm disks on them. If that would work, soz about the ignorance but aint done nothing like this before so I don't have a clue. Alloys and I.C.E is about as far as i know.[:$]

9. Dr Zoidberg

Dr Zoidberg Forum Member

If I upgrade my brakes to 280mm what is the smallest wheel size that will fit?

10. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

I think even the very late 8v's ended up with 256mm brakes as well, could be wrong though - it has been known once or twice

11. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

my old run out 8v had 256's but theres no saying it didnt have them put on at somepoint.

12. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

Pretty sure the only way it will work is if you grind a bit of material off the caliper body (dodgy as) or use part worn pads. That is if fitting with the standard issue 15" RA's.

13. StuMc

My previous Mk2 (very late `92 J-plate) had 256s, but I always assumed they`d been retro-fitted by a previous owner.

14. nealey Forum Junkie

Ive got a runout 8v and it has 239s

15. neil kaye Forum Junkie

my experience is that from 1988 to 1992 i worked for a vw dealer and i can say that i dont remember ever fitting the 256,s to any gti's,they were always the fixed carrier,6mm alen bolt (239) type,but from 91 to 92 i didnt do mechanics much as i was put onto the electrical side
    but a few years ago when i took a KR engine from an F plate valver it had the bolt on carriers (256) style
    and also i have been asked a few times for my chassis number when ordering pads as apparently the brakes changed at some point in 1988,how they changed im unaware of

16. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Theres a good chance the 256's had been added at somepoint on my old car, and having driven a mk1 on 239's im pleased to have never had to drive a heavier mk2 on them.

17. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

No what you're doing (and do fairly often) was act expressly rude despite the fact that it's commonly referred that 256mm are 16v brakes and quite possibly that late 8vs with 256mm have a retro fit.

You stated something you believe as fact, it's commonly accepted what I stated is true aswell so why don't you get off your high horse and accept that all you're doing is being pretentious and reverting to insulting someone rather than discussing it in a more mature fashion. Oh that's right, from experience, you can't

18. StuMc

Blah, blah, blah...

You stated `facts` (again), were proved wrong (again), and can`t admit it (again). End of...go cry elsewhere... :thumbup:

19. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

That all you've got in discussion. How do you know you're not wrong, late spec 8vs can quite easily have had a retrofit somewhere down the line or had bigger brakes as an optional extra. You're not really backing up your point, simply being childish and ignoring what's a fairly valid argument. You never seem to prove much wrong, just act dismissive and move on with a "la la la can't hear you" attitude. Grow up.

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Enough pls. This thread is going to need a tidy.