Mk2 Brake Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by lewi 8v, May 29, 2010.

1. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

He`s asked me to back up what I`m saying, so I`ll retort, then we can tidy...

You started with - `8v = 239mm, 16v = 256mm, G60 = 280mm`

As far as you were concerned, from your tone, these were hard and fast facts, no deviation...

Now, however, you are saying that 8vs might have had `an optional extra upgrade`...??...make your mind up!

You also said; 256mm were exclusively 16v items, and not age specfic. Then when presented with the fact that early 16vs had 239s, you still insisted it was exclusively engine specific.

Consider just how condractictory this statement is;

Here endeth the lesson...

2. stew72 Forum Member

15" RA's on 280's - are you guys sure there are clearance issues? 15" sebrings seem to clear fine and I'm sure there was a 15" bbs option on the G60's.

3. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

The facts regarding the 16V are pretty clear in ETKA, which shows that the KR-engined MK2 had 239mm front discs in 1988 (GO, 1988, illustration 118-30). For 1988, illustration 118-40 (256mm) does not exist.

Then if you flip to 1989, illustrations 118-30 (239mm) and 118-40 (256mm) both indicate the KR engine, and they provide the chassis serial numbers where the 16V finished having 239mm discs and then started having 256mm.

(All illustrations that are applicable to the KR also say that they're ABS-specific illustrations, but oddly they're the only illustrations that mention the KR.)

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

depends which BBS RA model you fit, there are 2 different offsets available and as far as I can tell 1 set fits fine the other can have clearance issues. I guess it could also depend on the thickness of pads used, some my be thicker than others. Its not a problem with the diameter of the brakes, its how far they stick out. Estorils have more clearance between the hub face & spokes than some models of BBS RA. I dont think any G60 models had BBS RAs either, I thought they all had split rims? Not really sure on that one though.

as far as the late 8vs got 256mm thing I've never seen any hard evidence to back this up, etka and the various VAG parts suppliers I use have never shown that this was ever the case. Unless we can find someone who has owned their runout 8v from new and can say that it had the 256mm as std I dont think this is something that can be proven conclusively either way.

Edit: Trev, if you actually look up the chassis break date though, its in 1988 ;)

256mm cutof = F1G-KW240 001/F1G-KB075 001

V-Pages -> VIN-Numbers Overview:
    31.10.1988 - 1G-KW272001
    31.12.1988 - 1G-KB077513

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  5. Golfamily7 Forum Member

Honestly, this thread is crazy. This stuff has been covered 100's of times. Use the search function. At above comment, RA's will not fit unless you use spacers (don't recall what size). Sebrings will fit along with BBS G60's (RZ's i think). These were designed for 280mm brakes from the outset.

Day one, week one!

6. Trev16v

I think it's hit and miss whether you get interference or not with 280mm and RAs. When I stuck a set of old RAs onto my Syncro when it was a rolling shell to go to the body shop, I noticed that the carriers had scrubbed on the inside of the RAs when the shell had been pushed around.

Edit: beaten to it!

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

Getting back to the OP's question:

256 discs from some passats / ibizas (I think) or golf 16v cars will be fine for most people's needs. If you're planning to go on track, and have more than 150 bhp, then 280s might be worth a look, but the downside of 280s is:

- More unsprung weight
    - More expensive
    - Less choice of wheels.

Some 15" wheels fit with 280 brakes (G60 steels, Sebrings, lots more)

With either 256 or 280mm brakes, you'll need the 16v/g60 type hubs (on the same cars as the 256/280 brakes) and the larger bottom ball joint.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  8. Trev16v

Yeah but... I'm not as nerdy as you.

Well alright, yes I am :lol:

9. rubjonny

pre-emptive nerdyness ftw :lol:

10. Dr Zoidberg

Dr Zoidberg Forum Member

well it looks like its time for me to upgrade my brakes and as I've just ordered my new wheels and they are 15" I'd better go with the 256 just to be on the safe side that the wheels will fit. So I'll need the hubs as well as all the other parts to fit these to my 8V? Don't spose anyone has a set they want to sell me do they?

11. lewi 8v New Member

Thanks for the help Mike, thats kind of the answear i was hoping for. Cheers for the input all :thumbup:

12. WillG

WillG Forum Member

Mine's a J plate 8v (no idea about runout edition, has green tinted windows though...) and had 239s.

and seat inca (and I presume vw caddy vans) new shape (1996+?)
    the ones in that vid on the first page came from a P reg seat inca van - I got the wheel bearing housing, calipers and carriers. Same brake pipe fitment and I put in new bearings and hubs while they were off and painted them.

I didn't change the bottom balljoint [:s]

13. nealey Forum Junkie

I have an original sales brochure for the runout mk2s tucked away. I will dig it out and check what it says on the brake situation

14. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

As standard. Nothing stopped you buying a new 8v and asking for 16v brakes. We'll wait for nealy to find his brochure and then we'll get a final answer.

15. tony_ack New Member

I have a runout 8v built in February 1992. It has 239mm brakes, so unless some downgraded from 256mm, then I'm guessing it came with 239s from the factory.

I also have a full 256mm setup available that I was going to put on my 8v, but I've since got a 16v, so don't need it anymore.

16. StuMc

`Nothing stopped you...` - that reads like cold, hard fact...with no proof to back it up.

Anyway, the question isn`t about whether you could get them fitted on request, it`s about whether the very last 8vs came with 256mm from the factory.

But, as you say, Nealey`s brochure will bear it out... ;)

17. Peter Forum Member

i ran 280's with standard RA's no problem

i was using the original 16 valve calipers though with the slider pins machined down a few mm

18. rubjonny

^^ this will help as the 256 calliper is narrower, this is where the problem comes from on the RAs that dont fit. bit of grindage on the outside face of the 280mm calliper can get you the clearance you need, or thin spacers

19. nealey Forum Junkie

No mention of brake size in the brochure but owning a runout mk2 myself i can confirm mine are definately 239mm front brakes.

20. StuMc

Nice one Nealey.

I think that safely takes 8vs out of the equation, leaving just 16vs that have either set-up dependant on age... :thumbup: