Mk2 golf track car - Getting the old girl back on track......

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by steve r, Sep 4, 2007.

1. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Thanks,

Heres a few pics of the car in action at Bedford, pics lifted from the Track Tour thread

One with my friend dave driving:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got a list of jobs to do over the winter ready for next years tour :thumbup:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  2. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Quick update,

I got nothing done over the winter, the car has spent the last 5 months tucked up in a single garage. I rolled it out on friday, battery fine, first turn of the key to pump some fuel and it started perfectly on the second turn [:D]

Changed the oil and fitted a shorter oil filter in prep for Sundays rolling road day. Lots of clearance now:

[​IMG]

On the way to the rolling road the water temp gauge dropped to the stop and the red light started flashing, quick stop and inspection failed to find the fault, plenty of water in the expansion tank so carried on. Investigation once home looks like its a fusebox problem or loose connection in a plug on the fusebox, will try a replacement.

Rolling road results were 162.3 bhp 138 lb/ft, slightly less than last time at garage streamline. Eddie has suggested that i try the std inlet so i will try to find the time to fit that and get it back there for another setup and run.

3. jayvr6uk Forum Member

Cool car bet it goes and handles well! Quick question have you ever ran G60 calipers on this? Wondering how the dynalite compare? Not sure if they'd be able to stop the VR.

4. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Had the car out on track at the VW/Audi Castle Combe day on Saturday. Always a great day, I love the track and always meet up with great people.

[​IMG]

I tracked my water temp gauge fault down to the foil/plastic pcb on the back of my clocks, luckily i had a spare set of clock in the shed so swapped the pcb over and the gauge worked fine.

Still got lots of jobs on the wish list but am struggling to find the spare time to do them right now.

5. ianb Forum Member

Great build Steve.....are you on OE inlet yet?

6. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Thanks,

Copied from the Combe thread:

Still on the short inlet, found all the oe inlet parts in the shed and have them all together ready to refit when I have time.

The rear bearing & brake setup is great, far better than the small taper bearings, I'm surprised there aren't more people running it.

The box makes the car, short 3-5 with 6th being the same as 5th would normally be. With the mods I've done to the shift lever and selector and would good quality cables the gear change is excellent and the ratios ensure the engine is always in the power zone. Not sure on the mph-rpm, will try to remember to check next time I'm driving it.

Also have a second hand carbon bonnet to go on and the mk1/ vw motorsport style engine mounts to do.

Discovered a leak from the adjuster on one of my rear shocks so will get them both rebuilt and also need to finish off that foot rest.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  7. steve r

steve r Forum Member

I got the car out from its winter storage single garage and over to the double garage / workshop today to get going on a few of the jobs. Didn't go as smoothly as I'd hoped as the car wouldn't start yesterday so spent today troubleshooting. Removed the megasquirt and tested that on the pc which proved all was good there, thanks to toyotec for the assistance via text :thumbup:

I noticed the pumps weren't quite as noisy as usual when turning on the megasquirt and the car would try to run for a second and then stop. A technical tap with a hammer on the pump under the car increased the priming and allowed the car to run for a few seconds but it still died. A few more focused blows to the pump and it started to sound right during priming and the car then ran [:D]

Over the winter I had picked up a Mk3 tank and pump as the lines between my pump,accumulator and filter are quite rusty. I been planning to store this until the lines got really bad but it looks like I'll be fitting this sooner than expected.

[​IMG]

Mike_H kindly came over and followed me to the garage in case I had any issues on route and to give me a lift back home, got there with no issues. He also lent me a spare set of rear shocks so I can keep the car mobile while I send mine away for rebuild.

Will try to get cracking on the list of jobs this week after work to have the car ready for some track action soon.

Thanks again to Eddie & Mike for their help, all part of what makes this club so good.

8. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Fitted in a few hours after work today and made some good progress.

Leaky rear shocks off and loan items on:

[​IMG]

Removed the metal bonnet and slaved on the carbon one:

[​IMG]

It need a bit of adjustment as my hinges are bent and the holes need enlarging for the aero catches

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  9. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Std inlet back on, Cold air box to be fabricated.

[​IMG]

Injectors will be sent for testing, cleaning & new o-rings before going back on.

[​IMG]

Some of the progress on the VW Motorsport style mounts.

[​IMG]

This lot is going to get welded together to form the lower dogbone. Solid 40mm bar machined to accept a Mk2 golf front wishbone front poly bush, 40mm bar also machined to match the OD of the bush sleeve and then 25mm OD 2.5mm wall seamless tube slides onto it. Seamless tube will be cut to length and the heavy duty eye end threaded sleeve also slides in. Rubber cover to protect the eye end.

10. danTbone Forum Member

are you fabricating these parts.

11. steve r

steve r Forum Member

One off at the moment but if it works well and there is interest I could make a few up.

I have a spare poly bush and plenty of the seamless tube. The 40mm solid bar was bought from ebay and the heavy duty eye end from a motorsport company online.

12. danTbone Forum Member

sounds good , will wait and see when done . get some pics up aswell :thumbup:

13. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Bit more progress over the weekend:

made a template for an air box round the filter, will get some aluminium soon and cut/bend it to match

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Removed the fuel tank and K-Jet pump assembly ready to fit the Mk3 items, filter fits well in place of the pump

[​IMG]

Bracket that holds the filler neck section of the tank was rusted away:

[​IMG]

1 screw came out fine but the other just span and lots of rust fell on the floor [8(]

[​IMG]

The Mk3 tank only uses one screw to hold it on but typically its on the side that rusted away on my car. Looks like may be able to drill a hole on the other side of the Mk3 tank as the provision for one seems to be there, or remove the bracket and weld in a new one.

[​IMG]

Tank straps are rusty but look like they should clean up and be ok, need to confirm they can be used with the Mk3 tank before i bother doing that though.

[​IMG]

the connector on the Mk3 pump is different to the Mk3 so need to source one of those.

Mk2 plug

[​IMG]

Mk3 pump

[​IMG]

Then fuel pipes to sort out, It looks like I could get it connected up using a mix of the K-Jet and Mk3 lines that I have but it would involve quite a few joins & potential for leaks so I think i'll pay a visit to think auto and get some made up, they made the lines in the engine bay for my fuel rail and i've not had any problems.

14. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Steve, they do work & I have fitted Mk3 tank to a Mk2 using the Mk2 straps

15. Ditchyboy Forum Member

any news on fitting the mk3 pump with the mk2 loom?

16. bones

bones Paid Member Paid Member

the previous owner of my Country made a similar airbox. If you are local, you are welcome to have a look if its useful

17. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Thanks, will look at cleaning mine up then.

Need to get hold of one of the correct connectors then work out which wires need to go to which pin.

Thanks, i'm down south so a bit, I think i've got it covered, should be getting the metal bent up this week.

18. turbotommy Forum Member

When i did this to my mk2 i only had to swap the smallest tank strap (furthest to the right in your pic) for a mk3 item.
    I just spliced the mk3 plug into the mk2 fuel pump wiring and all the colours matched too ,iirc the middle 2 are for the fuel gauge so just look at the colour of the stripe and away you go!
    I think i have a spare mk3 plug too,i'll see if i can find it for you :-)
    MK2 fuel gauge/clocks work perfectly with this also.
    I also had to swap the fuel lines to make it all fit but its neat when done and the 2nd fuel pump connector can be just wrapped up as a spare (emergency use) & tucked up by the lift pump to keep it clean & access it.

19. Willber Forum Member

Nice one, given me a good idea of how to build my airbox enclosure too now. Ideal to bend the sheet a little bit towards the grill for an instant cold air feed :)

20. bigmac Forum Member

Thats exactly what I found when I removed my tank from my Mk2.
    There is a repair patch available from VW for this . The part number is 191 803 483 its about 6