Mk2 golf track car - Getting the old girl back on track......

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by steve r, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

What are your plans for this Steve ? Trackdays as it is or further work first ?

2. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Trackdays as it is, it used to go pretty well so probably best to just get it going again and use it before doing any more mods.

The front calipers need a rebuild, I have a seal kit somewhere and new discs as the current set got warped last time I used it.

RobT likes this.
  3. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

Be great to see you on track again Steve , awesome mk2 as always

4. Nige

5. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

swine lol

6. Nige

It`s gonna be amazing ! ! lol

7. steve r

steve r Forum Member

After far to many years sat in the garage I got the car out today to try to get it going.

Fresh battery fitted and fresh fuel in the tank, it turns over but won't start.
    The megasquirt lights all flash, the fuel pump primes, all fuses are good, the coil & injectors are getting 12v, the immobiliser light goes off but it won't go....
    I tried a spare coil and checked all the connectors but no joy.
    Next step to get the plugs out to check for a spark & check the injectors are actually spraying fuel.
    Any other ideas?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  8. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Check all the obvious 1st but it still could be the immobiliser.

Good to see the car back. A lap in this at the ring in 2008 made me want to megasquirt mine

steve r likes this.
  9. Nige

Have you plugged in a laptop ? Just check the Inlet temp and water temp are ambient rather than -40 with a broken wire and throwing too much fuel in ?

Check the CPS with the tooth logger, but if the lights are flashing on the ECU that`s usually a sign it`s OK.

10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

OOHH...
    Good to see you back at it.

Give me a shout Sunday evening and I can pop around if the fine guys on here have not helped to solve it.
    Must be a wire or something daft that has fell off.

:thumbup:

11. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Thanks for the quick replies & encouragement, I've missed all this so really want to get it going again.

I didn't have my laptop with me unfortunately, part of the problem is that its not at my house, I need to move it over to my new place really.

I've removed the Megasquirt & brought it home to test but I'm confident its OK. The car spent a few months outside under a cover but other than that its been in a dry garage for around 5 years and apart from some dust looks good so I'm hoping it's just something like a loose wire.

Thanks for the offer Eddie, i'll let you know how I get on.

12. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Whats the tooth logger? I'm probably a good few updates behind on the Megasquirt software & don't remember it.

13. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Crankshaft position sensor :thumbup:

could it be old old fuel issue? If it's been that long since you used it?

14. Nige

If you install tunerstudio, it has an option to see the pulses from the crank position sensor. Dead easy way to check its giving a reliable signal and it isn't breaking down

steve r likes this.
  15. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Welcome back Steve. :thumbup:

steve r likes this.
  16. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Hiya Steve!

steve r likes this.
  17. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Tuner Studio is a more modern GUI worth getting familiar with but not essential to track your problem.

If you still have megatune 225, plug the laptop to the car and key on but do not start and go live.

Do all the gauges go live? ECT and MAT included? Yes? Next step, else check your loom.

Does the injection prime to the rate as per the priming set point? Yes? next step. Else check your map.

Crank the engine. Does the rpm gauge show engine revolutions between 150 and 250 rpm? - Yes? Then no issue with crank trigger ( confirming the flashing LEDs when cranking).
    If no, then check hall supply or earth or the sensor itself. I should have several spares to save buying one.

While cranking, does the injection rate reflect what is in the cranking tables for a the given engine coolant temp? Yes?

Does the pump run while cranking? Yes all good with that ECU function.

Your ECU is wasted spark from what I remember and should still be on 29y4 extra firmware. If the outer LEDs are flashing, that suggests the ignition drivers are working, providing they are programmed to represent spark A and B.

Next step is to pull a plug lead on one of the channels and ensure it us firing. If yes then maybe your fuel is gone off.
    If no, then check the other channel. If both are dead, then start checking ignition supply back to the ECU drivers.

If you carried out all checks and are about to burn the damn thing down, call me. By that time I will be high from sniffing burnt 2 stroke fumes lol.

steve r likes this.
  18. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Thanks Eddie,

I'll work through your suggestions.

I'm struggling a little to remember everything as it's been so long since I built it & worked on it.
    It's megatune installed on my laptop & I have wasted spark. The outer LEDs are flashing so I think both ignition drivers are probably ok.
    The pump primes and there is fuel pressure at the fuel rail as I backed office of the unions & got fuel.

I'm suspicious of the CPS as there was a lot of sycamore leaves, possible a nest on top of the blank where the dizzy would go on an 8v so I may have had a mouse or something chew through the wire.....

I might get a chance to play with it again on Friday or Monday & am working on moving it to my garage so it's easier to work on.

It was great to sit in it again & will be even better when its running again. :-)

19. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Megatune didn't want to work anymore on my old laptop so I downloaded TunerStudio and connected it up powered via the MegaStim.
    All the on screen gauges move when I turn the pots on the stim except for the RPM. I've modded to MS to run wasted spark with 2 ignition drivers so is this why the rpm doesn't work or is it a sign of something broken?

[​IMG]

20. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

The wasted spark part is output only. The RPM signal will be the input side of things. Are you running a hall sensor or VR sensor for your crank signal?

PS, you're welcome to pop over as I have a JimStim setup so can check the ECU for you.

Gurds