Mk2 golf track car - Getting the old girl back on track......

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by steve r, Sep 4, 2007.

1. steve r

steve r Forum Member

It could bend out a little further but i wanted to let a bit of air past to pass over the alternator.

Thanks, more details here

2. Erny Forum Member

Excellent car, some well thought out and executed improvements. Look forward to seeing the new mounts come together.
    When you ran the shortrunner manifold, did you experiment with moving the filter further away from the throttle bodie ie: down behind the bumper? Could this possibly help regain alittle more low end torque?

3. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Thanks, didn't play around with the filter position, can always try another time, it doesn't take long to swap them over.

Few more bits done this weekend,

fitted the bonnet hinges that foxyjay sent me, this shows how far out the bent ones were:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Braided hoses made up at Think Auto for the Mk3 tank, small section connects filter to original pipework:

[​IMG]

Picked up a fuel filter to go in the breather pipe on the tank, will be secured with a hose clamp before final fit.

[​IMG]

Cleaned up the tank straps and gave them a coat of paint, the air tool is great at removing the loose rust

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  4. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Tank and filter fitted,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mk3 GTI loom arrived today so I can remove the pump plug & length of the thicker wires from it to splice into my car. The plug for these pumps is no longer available from VW.

[​IMG]

5. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Quick update,

Got the car running again, Mk3 tank all works well.

I took the fuel gauge wires out of the Mk2 pump plug and fitted them into the Mk3 plug so I only had the cut & splice 2 wires:

(Plug cleaned before fit !!!)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

With 5L of fuel the gauge shows just below the red, 10L has it at the top of the red.

Aero Catches fitted to the carbon bonnet, had to cut and flatten a section of the slam panel. Due to it being a second hand bonnet I had to work around 2 rough holes that had been cut for normal style bonnet pins. I used hole cutters top and bottom then cut out the section in-between with a high speed cutting disc for a nice neat hole that the aero catches fit nicely into:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pins as low as they would ge to get a nice snug fit, no rattle:

[​IMG]

Next job is cooling ducts for the front brakes and seal replacement in the calipers.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  6. steve r

steve r Forum Member

One year on and no progress or use :cry:

I have however now moved house & the garage plans are well underway so should be back playing with the car soon :thumbup:

Nige likes this.
  7. Admin Guest

Good that you are still wanting to play with it. I look toward to seeing progress and maybe you back at Curby?

8. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Definitely still want to play with it, house had to come first though. We have bought our long term house which was chosen in part because of its large garden to build my garage, build thread coming soon [:D]

9. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Looking forward to the build thread.
    At this rate, we might even end up on track around the same time! :p

10. Admin Guest

Lol, when we bought our 7 year house it had To have a drive and garage, did not even visit any houses without. It has been very handy so far! Good luck with the garage build, I do love reading these and dreaming! When we buy again big plans for the garage.... [:D]

11. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Finally broke ground on the garage build today, very happy. [:D]

Hope to be back working on & tracking my Golf again soon.

12. coope12 New Member

Dash

Really liking the dash mate just doing mine out and was wondering were you brought it from as I've been looking on awtracksport and carnt seem to find a shop :/ any help is really appreciated also did you have to use part of the old dash to mount it or is that only for heaters on the screen and I apologise if you've been asked all this already :)

13. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Hmm, too long since this has seen action. Hopefully this year it will be back on track......

beetie and Toyotec like this.
  14. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Wow, hello stranger, be good to see you around again. :thumbup:

15. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Wow ! Hello :clap:

Last time we had a chat, you were wedding planning and we were at the ring :thumbup:

16. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Hi Steve! Been too long. Look forward to seeing you out again.

Gurds

17. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Its been an interesting few years, bought a house with a large garden, built a massive garage (9.5m x 13.5m), split up with the mrs & had to sell the house, now buying a new place that has a decent garage (5.5m x 8.5m) nothing compared what I built but will still be good. Looking forward to getting in there and firing up the mk2 again!

Hopefully catch up with you all again soon.

18. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Somehow of recent quite a few older members are coming back.
    Glad to see despite your life events, you have not forgotten us.
    Look forward to seeing the car at the track again.

Did you put back the OE plenum in the end?

Nige likes this.
  19. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Hi Steve, sorry to hear you've had some ups and downs.

Funnily enough I've just been using some of that LC3U paint if you remember.

20. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Thanks,

I've not lifted the bonnet for a few years but think the OE plenum is on there. [:s] It will need a remap if it is so will probably stick with the short one to get it going again with the least work.

Sounds familiar :) Glad its being used :thumbup: