mk2 radio slot gauge holder NEW PICS

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by steve r, Mar 12, 2004.

1. damogti Forum Junkie

My VDO oil tempo gauge site at the 160 degree end when the ignition is switched off, i assume i have wired them in wrong?? Any ideas??

Also i think my pressure sender is knackard too because i can either have the VDO working and the oil buzzer and light coming on everytime i rev the engine over 2k or i can have calm dashlights and buzzer but no gauge [:x]

bloody things [:x] [xx(] [:x] [xx(] [:x] [xx(] [:x]

:clap:

2. Jetta Forum Junkie

Damo, Have you wired the senders up properly, It sounds like the temp guage is earthing or not connected (I'll check it against mine) and have you got the twin pole pressure sender wired correctly, G is the terminal for the guage and WK is the terminal for the warning system.

That reminds me, I'll look at that roof motor for you.

3. damogti Forum Junkie

Simon,

I think the temp gauge problem maybe due to me connecting the earth to the earth wire for the whole gauges (for the lights and the other gauges) when it is supposed to be separate. Only thing is im not sure where it is supposed to cnnect to.... [:s]

I'll check the pressure sender when i get home tonight. When i first had it wired up the gauge was working fine but the oil buzzer and light kept going off. I've now swapped the connectors over and the gauge doesnt work (Just shoots past 5 when the car is started and stays there) and i dont have any problems with the oil light/buzzer on the dash.

E/Sunroof info would be great too :p ;) ythanks mate :)

4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Bloody hell Pete! 349,380 miles :o

5. Peter Forum Member

There not my clocks I picked up the image on Vortex, the mileage isnt genuine my friend decided to play a trick on me when changing the size of the picture in photoshop :lol: and I didnt know how to change it back [:^(]

I found a good ring video before its off a NSX Type R its an absoloute cracker, I got the link from passionford, its definiely worth a look.

Pete

6. GVK

[:D] Post up the link in the 'Ring thread, i'll have a look the next time i'm at my girlfriends [:D]

7. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Got any pics of where your radio is now Gary?

8. Jetta Forum Junkie

Sounds Like you had the pressure guage/warning system wired correctly the first time.

I made my loom out of one off an old 4cyl Audi coupe. It had two connectors one was a two pin connector for the oil pressure and oil temp senders and the other was a 6 pin connector but it only used 3 terminals:
    Black/Red 12v + ign sense
    Grey/Blue 12v + illumination
    Brown 0v - ground

All I did was reach in to the dash and cut the cables as long as I could, then when I fitted them, I crimped them onto spare ign live, ground and illumination wires I'd allready fitted, then ran a pair of wires to the senders.

9. damogti Forum Junkie

That is basically what i did to fit mine. The ign live i connected to the E/Mirror switched live. Earth to the earth point under the dash and the dash lights i connected to the spare stereo illumination wire.

What has caused the problem is the fact that the temp gauge has its own earth (brown/grey on my loom out of a 94 Audi 80 2ltr) which i have connected to the main earth. If i run that separately i think that might sort the problem.

As for the pressure gauge, i think its down to a faulty sender.

I'm gonna try another one and see if it works ok with that........ if not then im stumped [:s]

10. GVK

[​IMG]

:lol:

11. alby Forum Junkie

12. gorilly Forum Member

SONY?!?! thats where it deserves to be, or better still, in the bin :lol:

only jokin :p

13. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

14. GVK

:lol: Sorry ;)

15. GVK

Fitted my oil sender yesterday, swapped the white sender to the hole in the filter mount closest to the block and fitted the sender in the hole at the front AND swapped the wires accordingly (this is where those of you with oil warning probs are going wrong probably)

Runs at 2bar at idle when hot and as soon as the revs pick off over idle speed it's 4+bar

Can notice the pressure drop during hard cornering though [:$]

16. damogti Forum Junkie

I've swapped my wires over correctly too but i'm still having problems [:s] I'm thinking that its a faulty sender..... [:s] :(

My oil temp gauge is still sitting the wrong way when the ignition is off too [:^(] feck knows what that is [:s]
    Edited by: damogti

17. jprocter Forum Member

when the gauge has no sender reading but has power is goes to full.

18. damogti Forum Junkie

thats what i thought. I think the gauge side of the sender is fine but the ECU side is knackard. Either that or its not compatable with my car [:s]

19. jprocter Forum Member

well all u do it put + on + - to earth and then run a wire from sendor to the sendor pin on guage....... ECU?? [:s] whats all that about

20. damogti Forum Junkie

its a twin pole sender, one pole for gauge, one for ecu which controls oil light/buzzer on dash clocks. They are marked (cant remember with what exactly) to show which pole is for the ECU/dash light and which one is for the gauge. The i dont think the ECU pole is working because i'm getting the problems described above.

I currently have them swapped so ECU/oil light is connected to the gauge side of the sender and is working fine. The gauge is connected to the ECU/oil light side of the sender and doesnt work. When round the correct way the gauge works perfect but the oil light/buzzer comes on as soon as the engine starts to warm up.