MK2 Track Car - cobra buckets and a few bits sorted

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by RIP-MK3, Mar 28, 2009.

1. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

she turned her first wheel in anger today (without being pushed!!!) managed to bleed the brakes and clutch pretty well for beginners - only hiccup we had was a leaking connection at the bias valve, but considering there were over 10 home made flares i was pretty happy with that and there were two T junctions one behind the engine and one under the rear beam which would have been a pig to sort so well happy the one that did was inside the car!!!!

got all 6 goodridge braided hoses on, all we have to do now is get the fuse box back in its holder, get some appropriate pipes and plumb in the rad and then its MOT time ready for inters.

washed her and took some pics, looking pretty good i think :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Good work mate, can't belive how quickly you have got through this project.

3. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

looks great mate nice to see its moving on!! iam really pi**ed off thou!! i cant make it to inters!!! ggrrrr.. apparently ive already asked for too much time of work for vw fest in august and another 2 weeks off for a ho to majorca! robbing bast**ds for the few quid i get an hour! lol rant over!
    yep its looking cracking, great progress!

4. leontdi Forum Member

nice . looks really good on the black wheels

5. 12valver Forum Member

Looking good. As mentioned, a very quick turn around :thumbup:

6. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

cheers fella's, should we get it mot'd this week - it'll be a 12 week turnaround, which working off our front drive and doing all the important stuff like poly's, new brake lines etc were more than happy with.

About to unplug the whole fusebox, sort the wiring and plug it all back in and hope to buggery it works the way it did :lol:

just need to figure out how to get the indicator turn signals to work on our clocks - any ideas??

7. James_mk2 Forum Member

^^^^
    I've disconnected the entire fusebox on mine twice now, both times i wasn't expecting it to start afterwards but it did :lol:
    I also wrapped all the wiring from the fusebox working my way outwards (wrapping the wiring from each plug as one) so it folds down nicely to get to all the plugs

8. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

thats what i plan on doing, want it sorted so it easy to take on/off when it goes wrong!!! will take time and patience though of which i have niether!!

9. James_mk2 Forum Member

print off the fusebox FAQ page with the plug locations and label them as you take each one out, although they'll only go back in the right hole anyway it makes things quicker

10. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

i was going to get two different colour leccy tape, and label each plug top or bottom so i know which one's need to go back in...... the more immediate problem is the radiator pipes

11. Mike_H Forum Addict

What's the problem with the radiator pipes? Should be straightforward on this type of conversion...

12. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

^^ the abf one's went too far over as were using the mk2 rad, the mk2 one's didn't mate up either (top one more) so ended up using the bottom abf one which has two 90 degree bends in for the top which worked nicely and a kr bottom one which has a very slight bend but worked ok and is on securely.

We also needed a piece of hose to connect upto the heater matrix but didnt have anything the right size so we took the hose that comes off the air compressor which is double skinned and drilled out the middle which worked well, filled it up with water and ran it upto temp and she sat there at 90 degree's quite happily and the isv i got for a tenner workes perfectly which is a brucey bonus!!!!

we have an exhaust leak though, we only have 5 out of the 6 nuts on due to a snapped exhaust manifold stud and we were hoping it would be ok, unfortunately not. So we have just got the engine running perfectly and we had to start taking it all apart. Luckily we have a spare one in the shed (as you do) so getting some new gaskets and stuff tomorrow ready to put back together wednesday to drive down to guildford ready for MOT thursday and inters friday

[:s] [:s] [:s] unfortunately the list is growing not shrinking lol

13. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

So, the list to complete the car stands at:

- sort indicator turn signals
    - fit new gaskets and exhaust manifold
    - group the wiring and get fusebox in cradle
    - find a corrado airbox
    - change two tyre's over to bbs wheels
    - bolt front bumper back on
    - cable tie the clocks/switches in appropriate places

all needs to be done by wednesday night, then final checks before taking for mot!!!

14. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the problem is trying to use abf flanges & pipes with a MK2 rad. if it had a corrado/passat/seat rad it would have been a direct fit. if all the flanges & pipes had been swapped to MK2 items it also would have been a straight fit :p

15. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

with a bit of grease, and some super tight jubilee's the flanges weren't a problem :lol:

the cable ties round the hose pipe might be though ha ha

16. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

Sounds manic, but I am sure you'll get there!

Nothing like a bit of pressure just before the end!

17. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

there's cutting it close and then there's winging it! gonna be a helluva close call!
    hope the mot goes well otherwise all the recent hard work would've gone to waste, good luck :thumbup:

18. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

picked up two studs today from vw and ordered gaskets. just about to hack the exhaust manifold off ready for replacement. ordered a raddo airbox of fleabay from a fellow inters goer for 20 posted which is a bloody bargain!!!! sorting the wiring and indicators tonight.... looking good to go [:s] [:s] [:s] [:s]

19. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Good luck matey. Fingers crossed the car makes it. You need a sig update!!!!!

20. James_mk2 Forum Member

If you need any help or bits i may have give me a shout, i'm around all this week :thumbup: