MK2 Track Car - cobra buckets and a few bits sorted

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by RIP-MK3, Mar 28, 2009.

1. 1982.rpd Forum Member

Nice safety goggles:lol:

Manifold murder!

[​IMG]

2. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

thanks fella, you don't have a "get a untouchable nut off" tool do you?? bugger me we fought for hours trying to cut the manifold off as the one nut that is right underneath and has no access to is rounded. it looked a right mess when we were finished but still no joy. which means we have to do it ALL tomorrow night [8(]

not looking likely now, james if you wanna come lend a hand tomorrow night would be awesome :thumbup:

3. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

i dont have PS as it was on my GF's IMAC.... need to sort myself a copy so i can make a new one, the car is nothing like what it was when we bought it

4. James_mk2 Forum Member

i just smashed a socket over the end of mine to get them off, did mine with the engine out the car though.
    Have you got a new fannymould to go on and the rest of the exhaust?

I can come over tomorrow night that's not a problem, my mk2 is at a friends while our garage groundworks get done so i'm getting bored already :lol:

Want to PM or txt me time/location etc.?

5. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

its the one underneath the exhuast manifold so you cant hit anything onto it or even get an irwin on it - its a nightmare. i have a few things that we havent tried as yet though :)

pm with address sent

6. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

got an mot yet mate?

7. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Hows things coming along with the MK2 mate?

I finally got my lump painted up, loom in, and have bolted the engine and gearbox in so far, so nearly there...

When the both of ours are ready we should pop down to Golf night at Ace Cafe...:thumbup:

8. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

still needs taking for its mot. Needs a day spent on it sorting the suspension as its rubbing on the back before you even go near a bump. Also needs front arches riviting back on after they came off from going on the towing thing have bought the tool for it.

Also needs the battery bolting down, then its good to go. Hoping to get it done this sunday as its been sat at my new house for 6 weeks doing nothing

9. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

FINALY got round to starting to sort the small issues needed before she is road worthy!!

Check list of what needs doing:

- Battery Bolted Down/Relocated to boot
    - Front arches riveted back on
    - Raise Suspension all round
    - Work out rear bias valve as back brakes sticking
    - Get new MK2 handbrake cables

She has been sat in the corner of our drive for nearly two months as we have been busy doing other stuff, looking sorry for itself

[​IMG]

Today we riveted the arches back on which went well, spent hours raising the coilovers, did a bit too much on the back and not quite enough on the front so still some work to do on that but nothing rubbing now :thumbup:

The back brakes are binding, which is either down to too much pressure or because there is an issue. Im going to take them to bits tomorrow to check its not a sticky caliper or anything else and then look into this bias valve.

Gave her a clean, going to get cracking now as we have insurance so might as well be getting some use out of it!!!

[​IMG]

10. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Hurry up; First impression on the drive are expected as I have the option of picking up a super clean G plate 3dr 8v with a blown engine for very little cash...

11. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

^^ do it!!! I investigated the rear brakes today. Some how we had lost a carrier bolt so the pads were all jammed up against the wrong part of the disc and it was all majorly tight. Managed to free it all up and rebuild it and went to VW to order some bolts. Really ****es me off I have to drive all the way there and pay them 2.14 before they will order them.

Next step is to get a new batt of halfords as the one i bought a year ago is goosed and do a few road miles to see if we can get the bias valve working.

At present we arn't sure if it is too much pressure, the fact the arch was sat on the wheel or a missing carrier bolt that was causing the rears to lock up!!! or maybe all three :lol:

12. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Enjoyed following this, good work..

I love this. :lol: :lol:
    then later you say the opposite
    I may have missed it somewhere, but how come you aren`t fitting a cage to a track car [:s]

I know its a bit late now, but I mounted my shifter tower above the tunnel, the gearlever is much sloser to hand doing it that way..

13. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

nige underneath the 'we did some detailing' is a picture of that mad detail weirdo from the detailing forum :lol:

The plan was to get it ready for the ring trip and possibly a couple of track days with just normal road tyres then take it off the road for the winter and fit bucket seats/cage/harnesses/888's etc. We have missed the track days mostly but still plan to have a cage fitted before the season next year.

14. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

[​IMG]

Nice big driveway there, loads of room... I bet the neighbours are gonna love the both of you working on the mk2 LOL.

Glad to see its coming along nicely. Looks really nice in the pic above with the black wheels. It really sets the car off totally!!!

Would be good to see it on the road somethime soon. I bet you cant wait to give it a good run after all that work.

My MK2 has been off the road for months now. Cant wait to get it out soon.
    We should meet up at Ace Cafe one night, and get some more locals CGTIer's to come along :thumbup:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  15. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Looks great, but something on the front grill doesn't look to be lined up properly...like the bottom is leaning out? Or is it just my eyes?

16. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

need to get a mini meet going round SW london area me thinks :)

and yes, I can't wait to bloody drive the thing!!!!! lol

17. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

the clips are knackered so it has to be cable tied on properly but after 2/3 times on and off whilst sorting other bits we decided to just wait till its all done and then get it on properly (obv not properly, cable tied :lol: )

18. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

I love cable ties. Good work :thumbup:

19. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

I love cable ties, after my housemates mk2 ibiza gti - we really did become pro's at keeping a whole car together using cable ties :lol:

20. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

come on young man, get it sorted, been a while now!!