Mk2 VR6 Conversion - Update Power Figures

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by Deako, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Well, i started ripping things off the Passat last Sunday, and to date this is how far ive got:-

Heres some pics:-

The beast waiting to go in:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 16v out:
    [​IMG]

16v Wiring Loom:
    [​IMG]

Empty Golf:
    [​IMG]

Hydraulic clutch pedal box:
    [​IMG]

Passat Donor car looks sorry for itself:
    [​IMG]

16v Fusebox - organised chaos
    [​IMG]

Give me back my engine:
    [​IMG]

Hopefully by the end of this evening ill have the hydraulic pedal box in and possibly the clutch slave cylinder and plumbing sorted.

The Mk3 Subframe is being powder coated tomorrow and will then be bolted up with the brand new set of Eibach ARBs and brand new mounts, to include a vibratechnics Front engine mount.

After this my electrician mate will have hopefully completed stripping whats unneeded from the VR6 loom by Monday and that will then be installed. Monday evening may possibly see the VR6 lump dropped in too!! [:D]

Im hoping to have the car up, running and fully operation by next Saturday.

(Still have 5stud conversion to do)
    Edited by: Deako

2. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

going well :)

looking forward to get mine started, tho i'll have to make do with a lowly ABF [:s]

3. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Cool. :)

Getting some stuff polished up too, already got a manifold to go on and im getting the belt tensioner, alternator and oil filter housing done. Although im not 100% sure on the latter as its a bit out the way for polishing. Might get it powder coated instead!! [:D]

4. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

my rocker cover and manifold have already been highly polished, and there's a polished stainless steel housing thing around the starter motor too. was considering painting block before it went into car...

5. hayesey Forum Junkie

cool! I didn't even realise you had this planned.

6. Golden Forum Junkie

Deaks are you doing all this work yourself?

7. Chris H Forum Junkie

me neither. nice one. where did the passat donor come from? how much it set you back? :)

8. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Ive stripped the engines down and removed the wiring looms mostly by myself with the aid of a friend or 2 here and there. Jettaman is going to be in charge of the electrics and is going to extend my ecu portion of the loom to run it in the stock position. The only strange portion of the 16v loom was the decision by VW to include the wiper motor wiring on the main engine loom. This is included on the VR6 loom, but so is all the lighting, not the case on the 16v.

Myself and mechanic mate have just done the pedal box swap, what a pain in the arse that was. Half way through i wished id have kept the SEAT clutch assembly that was previously on the 02A 16v box. All plumbings sorted now, and the bulkhead needed minor modification (with a hammer) to get the clutch slave cylinder seated correctly.

The pedal box also needed a bracket grinding off its welds and repositioning/welding to meet up with the top captive nut.

Roll on tomorrow when the Mk3 Rear Subframe and ARBs should all be mounted up. I'm still on the look out for a set of Corrado VR6 fans or just the cowling (this is the same as Passat TDI - as long as its slimline and a twin fan setup) so if anyone sees/hears of one then please let me know asap. It will be the only thing holding this conversion up. I do have a brand new rad to go on though, so thats not needed.

I did create a thread a while back discussing the conversion. However, for those that missed it, here are the details:-

The passat was an L reg 1994 model manufactured on the 31st Dec 1994. It was typical VR6 spec and in Dragon Green. In 2001 there was an electric water pump problem which caused the demise of the engine, and the owner decided to buy a new one. He sourced this from GTI International (off a trader) and it was a brand new, never run complete block and head minus ancillaries.

Since it was fitted the owner clocked up about 39k miles on the engine and i have to say its in immaculate condition. There was some mayo on the filler cap when i first saw the car, but it had been unused for 3 months. This didnt bother me as the head gasket was changed recently due to a mis informed oil cooler problem. The hard work of changing the head gasket was carried out when in fact the cooler blew its seals. After a short run the engine was clean as a whistle and i had a massive grin on my face.

The reason for the grin??? Getting a passat vr6 with low mileage engine that i can break for spares and also sell my 16v lump. I get a free conversion (might even make a little bit of money) as the Passat VR6 only cost me 1100. Yup thats right!!! Bargain!! [:D]

PS Sorry for long message [:$]

9. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Good work Luke :p

10. wolfsburg85 Forum Member

1100? :o why can i never find any for that??

Nice work :thumbup:

11. Golden Forum Junkie

More pics Deaks, be interesting to see it come together as you do it.

12. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Absolutely! :)

Here is a pic of my powder coated Mk3 Subframe, brand new gearbox mount and new rear engine mount. Also trial fitting the ARB into the subframe to make sure the powder coating wasnt too thick and that the bushes sit nicely.

Edit:- Forgot the pic :lol:
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the poor quality, but i forgot my camera, this was taken on my phone.

You can also notice the new vibratechnics front engine mount in front of the subframe. :)

That little bundle on the floor (including whats left in the ARB box) is worth 340 without even taking the subframe into consideration. Yikes!!!

13. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Good work! I`m doing the wiring to mine on Sunday, fitting digi1 to the k-jet, good tip about the wiper loom, I`ll have to strip that out!

14. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Ive seen your posts in a fair few 16v threads about the Digi1 Keith. Good luck with that.

Ive just had a credit into my bank account from my old mortgage company. Might have to treat myself to some coilovers and poly bushes all round! [:D]

15. buzzby Forum Member

Nice

its would be a lot of work but could you not put the 16V back in the passat and sell the car as one unit. it would save the hassle of having to break a car.

16. alby Forum Junkie

four page answer to that question

;)

17. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

:lol:

Yeah its far too much work. And i can make more breaking the passat for parts as i have abs, airbags, electrics, panels etc to sell. This conversion will make me money believe it or not. Doesnt usually work this way around, but then you dont find passat vr6s with low mileage engines for 1100 everyday! [:D]

18. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Tasty looking subframe - how much was the powdercoating, if you don't mind me asking?
    I might have my whole car powdercoated.... :lol:

19. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

LOL

Paid 20 at a local place. They do f1 and motorsport piston coatings and all sorts. For that price they acid dipped, shot blast and powder coated it.

20. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Niiiiice - I can do the acid dipping myself, too.... :lol:
    Bring on the powdercoated Mk2 shell! :)