Mk2 VW Golf GTi 16v - Engine Start Problems

Discussion in 'Engines' started by dan_1987, Jul 27, 2007.

1. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Hiya,

I was hoping someone could help me. A few weeks ago I bought myself a Mk2 Golf GTi 16v on a J plate. A problem occurs when I try to start the engine. It rarely starts first time. When I turn the key, I think I can hear the engine turning over, but not firing up. The engine will always start - I just have to keep the key in the final position until it kicks in.

The battery is almost new. My first suspicion was the starter motor being old, but would the engine turn over still? I thought the starter motor required 12V and so if it has that, then its gaurenteed to start?

Any idea's? Spark Plugs? HT Leads? :)

Thanks,
    Dan

2. jamesa Forum Junkie

Is this only when cold or every time ?

Have you cleaned the connections:

Battery / starter / body earth / engine block earth / coil earth to rear of cylinder head -rocker cover / alternator ...

3. vegabass Forum Member

It could be any number of things. If the engine sounds to be turning over at a normal speed then the starter is probably fine. When they're on their way out they will intermittently not turn over properly or at all, and soon they'll permanently stop turning over and you'll need a new one, so it doesn't sound like it's that. It's likely to be something fuel or ignition related.

Try priming the ignition several times (i.e. turn key from off to position two, wait for it to prime (you'll hear a loud buzz from under the rear of the car on the driver's side), then turn the igntion off and repeat the procedure a few times), then try to start it. Sometimes if the fuel accumulator is not retaining the fuel pressure to help starting then it can need a few tries. If that helps it's probably the fuel accumulator, particularly if once the engine has been run and turned off it starts no problem afterwards, only struggling when it's not been run for a few hours.

Have you tried using a bit of throttle to help it start when you're turning it over? Sometimes the idle speed valve doesnt do it's job and that can make them struggle to start without a bit of gas when turning the engine over.

It could be spark plugs, HT leads, or the coil perhaps, but it's more likely one of the ones I've suggested or perhaps a worn dizzy cap & rotor arm. Unclip the distributor cap and see how work the springy black stub in the centre of the inside of the cap is. Should be maybe 8mm long if it's new. Also if the contacts on the rotor arm look corroded give them a gentle brush with sand paper, though it's worth renewing the cap and rotor arm just to rule them out as they're not too expensive.

4. vdub_16v Forum Member

Have you checked the cold start, it may be fluiding the engine or not working

5. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

I think the problem occurs more when the engine is cold. I seem to remember it starting quicker when the engine has just been run.

I'll try priming the engine tomorrow sometime. If it turns out to be the fuel accumulator, is this an easy to replace part?

What do you mean by this?

Apologies for my lack of car knowledge. Thanks for the help so far! [:D]

6. vegabass Forum Member

Yes it could be that, or possible something like the non-return valve. Not difficult to change, but you get covered in fuel. :( Over 100 new IIRC so get a second hand one if possible.

The cold start valve is the thing on the right hand end of the inlet manifold with the light blue plug going into it at the front of the engine. It sprays in a mist of fuel into the inlet manifold to richen the mixture during cold starts (when the head is below 30 celsius IIRC). If this isn't firing it could be that. You can take it out (unclip the connector and undo the two bolts) and put it in a clear container, then get someone to crank the engine when the engine is cold and see if it sprays a conical shaped mist of fuel for a few seconds to start with.

7. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

I shall probably give this a go tomorrow if I'm feeling confident.
    Silly question though - would this not leave a 'hole' in the inlet manifold while I try this?

Thanks for your help - its much appreciated.

8. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

I forgot to add. The air breather hose is a little split. I am hoping to get a new one ASAP.
    Would this affect the start up? I guessed that the whole cold/warm engine issue meant this was not the cause of the trouble.

9. vegabass Forum Member

Good point, bung a bit of rag or something in there to temporarily seal the hole in the manifold. Try taping up the split hose well until you can get a new one fitted, as it's probably not helping!

10. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Hi again,

I tried priming the engine last night - turned the ignition on/off about 5 times. The car had been stood for about 1 day but started almost instantly.

However, I tried the same again this morning and it didn't fire up well at all. So maybe the fuel accumilator/pump is ok?

Also, I noticed yesterday that when the ignition is on, there was a buzzing coming from the Cold Start Valve. I think I heard a spraying type noise also, though it wasn't just for a few seconds. If its not a spraying noise, it sounds somewhat like a crackling noise, though its not loud.

What do you reckon? Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
  11. vegabass Forum Member

Hmm might be worth testing the cold start valve to se if it's spraying a conical pattern (or at all). They don't normally buzz though I don't think - normally it's the idle speed valve which gently buzzes and vibrates when the ignition is on. You could try removing that and cleaning it with petrol or carburettor cleaner. Try those first as it may just be the cold start valve.

12. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Right, I've just removed the cold start valve. The car was running about 2.5hours prior to this.

As my dad started the engine, I held the CSV into a clear bottle. It didn't spray any fuel. However, when the engine started, it cut out instantly. Is this because I didn't cover up the hole where the CSV is positioned?

Then I reattached the CSV but unplugged the electrical socket. The car started as normal.

So after all this, I'm still not sure if the CSV is working or not. Was the engine too warm to begin with? I have picked a very hot day to be checking the CSV too. Any idea's?

Thanks, Dan

Last edited: Aug 5, 2007
  13. vegabass Forum Member

Hmm yeh possibly the engine was warm enough, but maybe not - hard to say. The CSV might be dribbling rather than spraying fuel perhaps. Try repeating the test in a clear botte on a cooler day. However what I would do is leave the CSV in place but the connector disconnected, and see how well it starts on the colder mornings this week.

14. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Tomorrow morning I'll give it another go. I'll remove the CSV, cover the hole, and get my mum to turn the key without giving it any gas. If it struggles to start (as it did initially) and no fuel squirts from the CSV, I think I can assume the CSV is fecked.

How much do these cost? Is one from GSF good enough or should I stick to VW (bearing in mind I get 10% off at VW). ;)

15. golf16vgti Forum Member

Cold start valve is about 53 from vw.
    I had similar problem with my valver and changed everything. Sods law it turned out to be the fuel pressure accumulator.
    Now it starts first time everytime.

16. shane d Forum Member

By ''the air breather hose'' do you mean the pipe from the air filter box to the throttle butterfly/inlet manifold?? If so then this is most probably the problem. You would be losing vacuum and the flap in the metering head would struggle to lift during cranking. Also check that there is no air escaping from any of the other vacuum pipes especially the one from the back of the inlet manifold to the brake servo. Cheers.. Shane

17. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

The air breather hose I'm talking about is just visible on this pic I've got off Google. Its the one just behind the dipstick. You can see the shine/reflection on it.

The previous owner has bodged a layer of rubber sheet around the join with some gunky brown/black stuff. Is this the pipe that could be causing my start up problems?

Also, the fuel pressure accumilator. How can I test this, and is this easy to replace considering I am a bit of a novice.

[​IMG]

18. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

I've given it another go this morning. It's far colder than it was yesterday and the engine manifold was stone cold. Would this weather/temperature ensure that the CSV would help out?

Firstly I wrapped a rag around the dodgy part of the air breather hose to make it as air tight as possible. I held another rag over the hole where the CSV is usually positioned, while holding the CSV into a clear bottle.

As friend held the key on to start the engine (with no gas) and the engine turned over a few times, but then fired up. No fuel was injected from the CSV.

What do you reckon? Is it fecked? My worry is that I buy the damn thing and the engine is no different. Furthermore, I'm sure I recall the engine not starting sometimes when it was warm, though I may be wrong.

With regards to the air breather hose, does anyone have the part number or one available to sell?

Thanks for your help. [:D]

19. shane d Forum Member

My cold start injector has never been connected and the car always starts very easily and runs perfectly smoothly. Do a search on cold start injector and i'm sure others will tell you the same. With regard to the broken pipe, If you post on the parts wanted section, someone is bound to have one. Cheers.. Shane

20. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

I've just put up a 'wanted' advert so lets hope someone has what I need.

Back to the engine starting problems. I took the car for a run today. Part way through, I pulled up and switched the engine off. Waited 10 seconds or so, and fired her back up. It didn't start straight away. This suggest the CSV is not the issue, so where do I go from here?

Thanks for your help. :)