mk3 16v fuel consumption

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by hum22a, Jun 2, 2008.

1. hum22a Forum Member

I have a 94 mk3 16v which returns about 200 miles to a full tank. I have tried both v power and normal unleaded but still get in the region of 200 miles. My old mk3 was also like this which was standard but my current one has cat back exhaust and lightened and balanced flywheel and a eprom chip from ebay. Is this normal? What kind of mileage do you get?

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

you should get 300 miles a tank, ever time, pretty much no matter how hard you drive it

i have an eprom chip from ebay too, that made it better, if anything

i bet, if you pull out your plugs theyre black as the ace of spades

get vagcom out. i bet youve got dead sensors, missing vac hoses etc

get it running right. youll get more speed and get 33mpg over every tank

ps... i want your lightened flywheel

(on an all motorway tank, it got 380 once)

3. Lhasa2008 CGTI Regional Host

How many miles has your engine done?

Have you checked for air leaks? Cleaned/replaced your air filter recently? spark plugs? etc. It could also indicate a fault with the lambda probe/catalyser?

I get 40+ mpg with v-power when on the motorway@70mph :)
    Fuel ecomony is much improved since I've fitted the 'Man in the Shed' head and new piston rings.

Lhasa2008

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

ps i want you man in the shed head

5. BIG AL

BIG AL Forum Member

Got just under 400miles out of mine at the weekend on a round trip. Half motorway half single A roads.

6. hum22a Forum Member

my car has done 130k. I checked for air leaks etc but couldnt find any. Spark plugs were black. Has a induction kit on. I am planning on giving the car a full service inluding all filters and new plugs. Any recommendations as to what plugs to use?

7. Ess Three Forum Member

You simply can't say that of all ABFs...
    Mine returns around 200 miles to the tank...OK, it's well modified, but it's using the same fuel map as it was before the head/cams and it was doing around 200 miles to the tank then.
    A mixture of town driving and hard backroad driving gives 200 miles to the tank.
    My engine ir tip-top...no dead sensors, no black plugs, no missing vacuum hoses etc.

The way I drive I was only getting 250-260 miles to the tank with the car bog standard.

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i didnt say that that applied to all abfs. yours is very different spec to, well, anyone elses actually.

his is basically standard, and so is mine. i give mine death whenever i get a chance and the currnent tank has done 319 and the needle is now into the red. the mfa mpg thing wont be 100% accurate, but you cant dispute the number of miles per tank youre doing.

im really not suprised yours isnt as economical as a basically standard car

9. Ess Three Forum Member

I thought this bit was clear:
    Bog standard...around 250 miles from full to the red.
    Chipped, filter etc...around 200...still around 200 now.

My Dad used to get 300 per tankful from it...but i've never seen that in the 7-8 years i've owned it.

If you do lots of short runs or lots of backroad stuff, I'd not be surprised if a std ABF Mk3 does around 200 miles to the tankful.

It doesn't mean there is a problem with the engine.

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

200 miles a tank on a standard abf, without looking at a calculator, is going to be close to 20mpg. i would have to thrash the granny off mine, almost continuously to do that

imo it is improbably that someone will be trashing a car continually over various tanks of fuel and on top of that be left wondering why he gets poor mpg.

hence, i suggested he whip the plugs out, and ill even bet money those plugs are ace of spade spec and its gone into super rich abf safe mode.

... lets wait for the plugs ;) ill claim my five pounds then lol

11. Ess Three Forum Member

Lets not forget all Mk3 fuel gauges aren't calibrated the same...but your calculations work for mine: around 44 litres for 200 miles of fun.

It depends on the journey too...
    Lots of small journeys = higher fuel usage.
    Lots of sitting in traffic = higher fuel usage.

I *can* get through 45 litres in 120-140 miles if I really want to use all the revs....It wouldn't have been that thirsty standard...but certainly on a mixture of driving conditions, I could get it down to 200 miles per tankful (42-45 litres).

My plugs are normally a healthy colour (not that 'healthy' gives much idea of the colour) but not black and sooty.

12. prof Forum Addict

In an albeit different car, i can get between 200-400 miles out of 60 worth of fuel, depends entirely on driving style and journey type.

but if he has black sootyt plugs then it needs a good check over and vagcom

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

my bet still stands, 5 on his plugs being sooty as fook and his car is running like a dog. the only way i can lose this is if the OP drives like utter nutter, all the time

bring it on!

14. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

He already told you.

15. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i claim my 5 right now woop woop

16. hum22a Forum Member

didnt know my post would kick up such a fuss lol. just wanted to know around how many miles i should be expecting. Going to give it a full service on the weekend. See what its like after that

17. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

not a fuss at all, got vagom? i recon youve got some dead sensors

18. Sukh

Sukh Membership Team Admin

ABF's should get easily around 300miles to the tank more if on the motorway.
    If you are getting less then theres something wrong with your engine get it checked out.

19. suttonval Forum Member

I live over in Brum and took my car to bath and back (240ish miles round trip) a couple of weeks ago, filled her up just before i left, gave her the thrashing of her life there and back and was just into the red when i returned. Driven sensibly I can see 300 miles out of a tank. The car is just coming up to 104k miles and is serviced more often than my missus and is completely standard.

If your car is only lightly modified and you get 200 miles out of a tank when driven sensibly there is definately something wrong with it, ill stick with Matt on this one.

20. Dub Nutta Forum Member

Mine has a BMC filter and puts out 172bhp on TSR's rollers (new accurate ones) and does about 350 to a tank, 310 is it involves alot of town driving and nearly 400 at 60/70mph being carefull.