mk3 16v fuel consumption

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by hum22a, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

wow... that is impressive :S

2. 87 UMN

87 UMN Forum Member

ive got a mk3 vr6 and to 50quid a tank im doin between 260 and 310 miles and thats always having a play! as matt said maybe one of the sensors is faulty and putting to much fuel in. worth a look over time will save you money,
    then again my friend has my old mk2 16v and it would absolutely drink the fuel and is completely standard and not high mileage either..............?lol

3. prof Forum Addict

sold my ABF lump and it now lives in gti69's mk2, who was seeing 41 mpg on the run to work...

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

abfs are the greatest. my mfa will show early 40s on the way to work if i dont get much traffic and its pretty accurate (not more than 0.4-0.5mpg out over a tank)

the best ive seen was 17mpg after quite a severe killing on a extended route.

just needa to be in a mk2 really lol

5. prof Forum Addict

with a 6 speed box, plus axle suspension and throttle bodies it'd be awesome.... er hang on why did i sell all that :lol: :lol:

6. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

I regularly see 350+ from a tank of Optimax or Tesco 99 and seen 450 out of a tank once whilst going camping. I was skint and had to eek out overy last drop of ecomomy - really gentle part throttle acceleration, changing up at 2.2K and trying to run it closed loop all the time works wonders but it's extremely boring but that was with my last 177K valver, but I drove at 50 everywhere. [:$]

It has to be said that I can't get the same ecomomy from my latest which is on 130K but I can't complain as it doesn't use a single drop of oil between 5K changes.

I've found cleaning all the ECU and loom electrical plugs/contacts, all the crap off the plugs/dizzy and especially the earth points works wonders for increasing your overall fuel consumption.

Think about it this way - The highest frictional losses in the engine are related to the rings. Now as the car gets older the rings wear and friction should decrease and mileage should increase asumming reasonable compression, good sensors and electrical conductivity.

Thoughts?

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

definately. the last ones i need to clean up at the ecu reference earths, i think theyre hidden under the battery tray.

450miles? thats basically an average of 40mpg, on a 2.0 petrol engine that we all know has infinity bhp and does 10 second quarters. [:D]

8. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

hi Matt,
    I said it was a 16V.. Not an 8v like you suggest! :lol:

Incidentally it was long straight 40-50mph runs on empty roads with 'hours' between stopping and starting. I seem to recall the MFA showed 44MPG.

Borrocks... thats what those earths are for... Not cleaned those ones up yet but I have a new battery tray to go in at some point in the near future.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  9. Ess Three Forum Member

How the hell to you lot drive?
    I only get 40 ish to the gallon in my Fabia vRS...and I'd have to drive like I'm taking my gran to Church to EVER see the right side of 30 in my Mk3 16v!

Do us northern typed drive harder?
    Or is the gallon just not as big up here?

I can easily get rid of a full tank of unleaded in under 200 miles in the Mk3...and that's not holding it on the limiter in every gear...just using it 'properly'.

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i kill mine too, i promise that i do, people can vouch for me

you must have lead feet, with lead shoes to go with them [:D]

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i once took mine on a run from southend to wales and back in one night, something like 520 miles.

it averages 42mpg over the trip and i caned it a fair bit

12. prof Forum Addict

depends, my coupe gets 200miles for 60 or 400 totally depending on use, and i use it well

13. Golf-Fiend Forum Member

Just to chip into this thread. Now I have had all new engine sensors (ECU temp, Lambda, New Dizzy, etc) no fault codes showing I decided to do a few experiments over the last few weekends. These are actual figures based on filling to brim. Driving. Filling to brim and calculating actual MPG.

1 - day out to Brecons with wife, kids and a whole load of crap (food, buggies, walking boots etc ) in the boot. 180 miles 50% M4 50% A roads and twisty hilly B roads - 36.7 MPG

2 - camping in Dorset. Wife, kids (x2), big MoFo HEAVY tent, Roof box, every nook and cranny stuffed with stuff. Not one door pocket left unfilled etc (looked like I had lowered it by 70mm all round!!!) 210 miles 50% A roads 50% B roads and towns and slow driving - 30 MPG

These are actual figures. I was driving for economy, not fast pleasures. I dont with the wife and kids. Really gentle acceleration, changing gear at 3k rpm, reading road well ahead to avoid heavy braking.

Not sure if these are good figures or not. Just what I have experienced. I guess they are much better than my very tweaked MK2 16V I had last (25-28MPG average) but then I was younger and didn't have kids so i drove faster.

With petrol (good stuff) at 1.21 per litre and considering a few camping trips to Scotland and elsewhere next year it's sadly looking like a diesel estate is on the cards [:^(]
    With these kind of milages it looks like a 70-90 saving on fuel per trip!!! You can't argue with that!!

14. hum22a Forum Member

i dont have vagcom so cant check for any sensors but will see how it is after the service.

15. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

whats getting carried out at the service?

16. hum22a Forum Member

got some iridium plugs, oil filter, fuel filter and going to give it an oil change

17. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

id say check the vac hoses are all in tact, they can cause it to run very rich

the first obvious sensor to test is the ecu water temp sensor on the side of the head.

18. hum22a Forum Member

i checked all the vac hoses a couple of days ago as the car started idling around 2000 rpm and i thought it may have been one of the hoses. Turned out the isv needed a clean. How do i go about testing the sensor?

19. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I get 25mpg on my Mk2 Valver all the time - 7 miles to work 7 miles back. The Skoooooda I have no real idea as half the time it's running central heating oil plus it has no MFA being a taxi spec sh*theap with a sump made from Araldite. The diesel Caddy gets over 50mpg most of the time. But the winner is the 2000ish Passat Tdi (90 or 110hp I don't know or care which!) which got me 62mpg on a long run (100 miles driving like a nun) while towing a small boat...

20. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the isv fixed the idle?

http://evoposters.net/gallery/main....fe8&g2_fromNavId=xc9429b42&g2_navId=x5a00bfe8

have a look in there, some tables with resistance values of the sensors