Mk3 8v tuning - what have you done?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by mr.brown, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Southy_GTI Forum Member

whose rollers were those?

2. gti3_20 Forum Member

Alwyn Kershaws in York. Was also on new throtle body and had been serviced 2 days before but I was shocked myself!! Plenty of other ClubGTI people were there as it was shootout day. Was supposed to be in Rabbit or The Golf sometime but never was!!

3. gti3_20 Forum Member

I suppose the other thing is how do you know that your car is 115bhp from factory?? It is only an average figure. Some higher, some lower!!

4. S1MMA Forum Member

what utter sh1te, the mk3 8v may be slow, but its faster than a mk2 driver mate. I'll prove it to you if you live near me.

5. Jettin' Forum Member

So they could use the same gearboxes. The reason they had 115 instead of 112 is probably because of the increased rolling resistance from the weight. The 1.6 Mk1 engine had 110, up to 112 for the 1.8 and then 115 for the 2l. I think that VW concentrated on torque from then on. From the sounds of it a good p&p and a decent Cam will give quite nice top end power gains on these motors, similar to what Chrismc has.

Could be talking crap here tho!

6. chrismc Forum Junkie

Well I guess it depends on the rollers...

If it is possible to extract 135BHP that easily..it doesnt say much for my car when it made exactly that with the 2L block, stage 1 head, 202 cam, AmD chip, matched manifolds K&N & Supersprint..

Either that, or Stealths rollers are underreading or the rollers ure car went on are overreading...

7. Jettin' Forum Member

The great bit roller debate. Its very easy for the operator to change the value up and down so you need a place that you can trust.

8. smithy Forum Member

Yeah. Very hard to say whats accurate and whats not, the place I went to did have some standard car readouts that were pretty much the same as stock give or take a couple of ponies but you never really know for sure...

9. JEZ

Jez Forum Member

I've heard of 130bhp+ from the mk3 8v before with only a remap and zorst. I don't doubt it either.

Will a mk2 8v engine fit a mk3?
    Edited by: Lemming

10. Jimbob Forum Member

haha, sorry i didnt mean standard MK II driver! i admit i spent about 150 to get it to about 105bhp, still have a ported/polished head and 4 branch manifold waiting to go on when i get the h/gasket kit after crimbo.
    anyways, yeh. i live in cornwall, u close? i'd love to beat a gti in my driver, straight line or proper racing? (private road)
    MK III's are slow (8v), raced 2 or 3 down here, gutted!

where u from? what spec car etc?

11. S1MMA Forum Member

whats the engine code on the mk2 1.6 driver? Doesnt it have 75bhp standard? You'd have done well to get 105bhp out of it for spending 150, has it got gti cams or something?

I live in kent, so its a bit far away, the performance of a mk3 8v gti is the same as a Megane coupe 2.0 8v, as I was side by side with one upto 110, absolutely nothing in it. I cant find any tested performance figures for the mk3 8v, but I have for a megane.

Megane 2.0 8v, autocar test:

0-60 : 9.2
    0-100 : 28.2
    30-70 : 8.9

it has 115bhp, 124lb/ft torque and weighs 1045, which is basically the same as a mk3 8v (mk3 weighs about 35kg more).

My car was completely standard against the megane, now it has a full SS exhausts cos the standard one rotted away. Not really much of a difference performance wise. But it's stil faster than any standard driver.

12. Jimbob Forum Member

definetly faster than a STANDARD driver!
    yeh, was well lucky to get my stuf so cheap, im good at scabbing around the scrappies!
    got a 4 branch similar to tsr's one for 3!! gti cam free!loasa bits!
    although, at the moment, i have 17s n they have destroyed my performance! [8(] [:x] [:^(]
    if ur ever around cornwall, (run to the sun?) we shud go for a boot! (although im part way through gettin a 2.0 16v with about 170bhp! :lol:)

13. jayxx83 New Member

i have to admit after 110 it all goes a bit pear shaped i had 145mph out of my saxo when i had it and that was a 1.6 8v. for me tho i love the 8v pull. i dont race all time mostly stuck in back city roads where a nice bit of early pull is the call of the day. plannin on amd chip, bmc airbox, powerflow exh( looking to sell my current remus system). then hit a stage 4 head from tsr with fast road and flowed inlet and outlet manifolds. Torque monster!! with a nice bit of top end pull. should b enough to see off all lesser motors.
    Edited by: gbolton

14. steved Forum Member

I've made some great mods to mine... Remove the engine :lol: :lol:

15. S1MMA Forum Member

agreed steved

16. tomasz Forum Member

hi i`ve got LHD mk3 2.ol 8v.it`s got pipercross filter,lighted flywheel,replace cat.,sport back box.i was doing 135mph on autobahn :p .it`s cost me 250 pounds to modyfi and it`s quicker then 16v.0-60 9.8 sec.
    sorry for speling i`m not english.

17. S1MMA Forum Member

tomas, I've done an indicated 135mph on my 8v which is standard apart from a stainless exhaust system. I think that you'll find a GTI 16v is around 8.1 seconds 0-60 (or there abouts) and will be significantly faster than your 8V after 60mph.

The 8v engine is a nice lazy unit, really goes to sh1t at the high end of the rev range (in mostly standard form) as everyone knows, so 16v in same state of tune is usually faster in drag races.

18. binliner Forum Member

so what exactly did you do to get an extra 30bhp for 150?
    Edited by: binliner

19. whitie Forum Member

did you forget to mention the addition of a turbo and hill with slight downward breeze :lol:

saxos....i rest my case

on a different note, why bother getting into the rolling road debate
    especially if your talking about power at the fly...
    this is all about how the car drives; 1/4 mile and track days would be a fairer comparrison

awaits abuse [8(]

20. chrismc Forum Junkie

I agree Whitie.... [:D] [:D] Id be confident on the 1/4m now.... 1800 valvers no problem!!

Did the 145MPH Saxo have a Jet Engine strapped to it or did the speedo just lie jay!! ;)