Mk3 Golf 2861cc Track car project - Phase 2 pg11 >

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by 12valver, Jan 14, 2008.

1. 12valver Forum Member

Sorry for the late reply.

Chris, I believe that Cibie made a kit for the Mk3 but would have to check, may be them?

I am pretty sure the later 'votex' (vw option) were Hella, as I know the dealers sold them.

Mike, I have the dtm type mirrors already, a friend who lives in Germany sourced me a set. You can't see much out of them either :lol:

You can just about see them in this pic:

[​IMG]

2. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

How do they compare to the standard ones, i want some but need rear vision really:lol: .

Are yours the mattig ones ive seen a set for sale the other day.

3. 12valver Forum Member

They are not great to be honest but slightly lighter than standard and probably more aerodynamic if you are splitting hairs :lol: I used them for a track day but he mirror lenses do move around if the car is pretty solid and it is obviously not easy to correct them if the window doesn't wind down [:x]

4. 12valver Forum Member

Well I got a bit of work done today.

Started to clean off the remaining under seal / tar from the interior, I had not done the drivers side arch previously as it was a nightmare to get in to with the fuse box being in.

[​IMG]

The old boy carefully removed the front seat supports last week and did a cracking job. OEM seat rails are next.

[​IMG]

I started to clean up the rear arch / panel

[​IMG]

This pic shows the flare on the rear arch nicely! Matching fronts should be here end of March.

[​IMG]

Should get some more done tomorrow all being well.

5. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Liking the updates yet again.

How handy is it being able to `remove` the bulkhead !!! Brilliant idea.

6. powernut Forum Member

looking very sweet pal ,,,,lovin it ,,,in every way

7. 12valver Forum Member

Thanks Nige. It is very handy, makes plating up all redundant holes in the bulkhead alot easier. Go alot of work to do on the shell to get it ready for summer but got a good bit of motivation on the go so 'should' be done. Glad you are enjoying the updates, I follow a lot of build threads (mainly the track car ones) on here, and it is good to see what people are doing and the way they do them, gives you plenty of ideas as well!!

powernut - thanks mate, it should come together this year all things being well. After this rebuild it should just about be all the boxes ticked for the things I wanted to do to the car (apart from the dog box which I can't see happening) so looking forward to driving the thing and doing as many track days as possible.

8. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

plating?!

grommets are lighter ;)

9. steved Forum Member

Aliminium Tape even better.

10. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

These landed in my workshop today.:)

Made by hella

[​IMG]

Go for the ali tape its just right for the job.

11. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Sorry for picking up on an old post, but does anyone know if these calipers fit onto a 2.0 16v 4 stud hub? I would assume so (VR6 ones are the same), just a case of sourcing 312mm 4 stud discs, or redrill 5 stud ones, or convert to 5 stud.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  12. 12valver Forum Member

I wouldrather plate them over as had some issues with some engine bay fumes coming into the car previously, so would rather it was plated and sealed up. Does the MSA allow you to use aluminium tape? Is there not something about having the cabin sealed from the bay? I really need to get a blue book.

Good stuff Mike, are you removing the inners for better flow in to the bay? I hope you are not going for a colour change for the car as well? :)

Deako, I imagine they would fit with the spacers and longer bolts you need between the carrier and hub to run 312mm discs on a Mk3. I 'think' you only get 305mm discs in 4 stud (ibiza cupra r ones) so may be worth using those brakes as they bolt straight on and not bothering with 312s?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  13. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

The 305s still require carriers to space out. And i had the Brembo brakes on my old Jetta VR6. To be honest, it might have been a pad/disc factor, but they werent overly impressive. Hard part is getting hold of them for a good price these days, someone is trying to sell a set on ebay for 699, without the adapters or hoses required. Mentalist. Im sure when i bought mine back in 2003 (albeit a long while back) they were about 425 for the complete kit.

14. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Im staying with the same colour, i love the metalic grey. The main reason for the twins is the air intake, to generally keep the lump running a bit cooler and the old ones needed replacing as they are looking a bit worn and used now.

Ive wanted twins for ages and been toying with the idea of dtm's to pay homage to the tarmac mk3 rally cars.

Im not copying you honest, but there is a chance the cars might look a bit similar. :lol: ;)

Whats you final bodyspec or are you keeping it under wraps for now.

15. 12valver Forum Member

I believe it is 'storm' grey, a nice colour which is pretty rare? Two friends had VR6s that colour before I had mine, one was a GTi Engineering tweaked one.

Ye I know what you mean about it getting hot, the quads do help. Going to lift up the back of the bonnet on mine as well as removing the rain tray to try and reduce temps.

The cars will look a bit similar but still be pretty different, doesn't really bother me anyway. Not as if they are together often :lol:

Colour choice is down to 2 at the moment, bored of the black so it is changing.

Small update from today / yesterday:

Inner arch almost done, still a bit of underseal to come off the panel joints.

[​IMG]

Rear panel getting there.

[​IMG]

These arrived as well.

[​IMG]

Going to get a pipe bender ordered up and need a refill of the gas bottle before work can start on the cage.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  16. 16valver Forum Member

There is only one possible colour Martin, dont fight it!

After all your talk over the years of "there is only one colour for a race car..." blah blah - see if you go and paint it something else now...:lol:

17. 12valver Forum Member

Ye I know what you mean Ali, I think that the colour has been decided years ago. Will see what happens when the panels arrive though.

18. strapper Forum Member

12valver when you installed the vr6 lump into the golf did you encounter any problems that you had to over come with the wiring, engine mounts etc being as it was a gti you were fitting it into or was it pretty straight forward? Reason I ask is that I may have the chance of getting a vr6(whole car) and might fit the lump into my golf as it's in better condition. I just don't know if it's as easy as a straight swap or not.

19. 12valver Forum Member

It is relatively easy to put a VR6 into a 16V (which mine was) but an 8V is more work IIRC. Never looked into it as never owned one but I am sure there is something about the 8V requiring the cable change gear box / hydraulic pedal box.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  20. strapper Forum Member

so the pedal box would have to be replaced also?