Mk3 gti 20vt. 5/7 now gutting the inside.

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Switch7, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

Hi all!

Am new to the forums and club, just waiting for membership to come through. Been one of those long time reader types but finally joined.

Bought this car over Xmas after looking for a good 6months or so to find a good one at my price and this popped up 5 mins from where I live for 1200. Full dealer history yada yada...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have absolutely no car mechanical experience, Ive never changed brake pads or any other basic maintenance tasks, im jumping in head first and learning as I go. This is what I wanted to do and partly why im doing this, as well as having a great love for golfs! Every thing I do I have learnt from hours of reading on the net or from books and a bit of trial and error.

Ill try and document my swap as I do it when it gets started then maybe others can benefit from my mishaps!

I stripped out some of the excess mk3 beef, Ive not gone mental on this because its my everyday as well, but got the rear out and it weighed in at 57kgs on the old bathroom scales. Something has got to happen with the front but no sure yet! Maybe possible cage but its not a priority for now.

[​IMG]
    It looks like a tip in the back but its just temporary! Just a go between from the garage while I work on stuff. [:$]

Got a new scuttle tray since all the rubber had perished where it seals to the window

Before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

have done a test fit and its big improvement but me and the clips that hold it in have issues so wont fit it until after the engine swap because the ecu is under it and that needs to come out.

I got some vinyl dye from halfrauds and did the door handles and rear spoiler, makes the car a bit fresher

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got these bbs off eBay for 270 and wrapped them in Yoko 195/40s.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Are they mk3 anniversary wheels?
    They are in pretty good condition when they came, the guy who sold them said they had been reconditioned but they still had a few small marks on.

Ive managed to fit ebc disks and pads all round and Ive got some caliper paint to put on as well when I get a moment.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Quick question, I havent put the front pads in yet because the new ones are much thicker than the old ones they replaced so dont fit, can I push the front caliper in like I wound the rear ones in?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  2. DODGER Forum Member

The piston will just push in. Just apply firm even pressure.

3. OldDirty Forum Member

Quick question, I havent put the front pads in yet because the new ones are much thicker than the old ones they replaced so dont fit, can I push the front caliper in like I wound the rear ones in?[/QUOTE]

yep , just be careful when you drive the first time on them - you wont have any braking power at first , but it will go away in couple of brakings

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

good to see someone who has the nuts to just jump in and try something like this!

i might try n pinch some of the abf bits off ya ;)

5. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

and some more.....

Needed a lot of help from some of this to loosen the bolts which all came with rounded hex heads which sucked to remove.

[​IMG]

While I had the wheels off also got an h+r cup kit fitted and am pretty happy with the stance although im tempted to get coilys and slam it.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Heres the 1.8t I got.

[​IMG]

Its from a 04 Ibiza with all clocks, keys, ecu, full loom etc with only 20k on the clock. Going to stick with the o2a in my 16v for transmission for now, will see how it goes.

It will be running qpeng so should be running 200hp. But am looking at k04+injectors so 270 is on the horizon. For now though I need to get it in.

Intercooler
    [​IMG]

Non-aircon belt
    [​IMG]

Also noticed that the inlet manifold was cracked when I was taking off the engine loom, so ill have to find another
    [​IMG]

Ordered a new clutch and lightened flywheel, miltec high flow cat and system, qpeng down pipe, which should be here next week. Im looking at getting it in the next couple of weeks and Ill take lots of pics along the way

6. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

Cheers!

7. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

yep , just be careful when you drive the first time on them - you wont have any braking power at first , but it will go away in couple of brakings[/QUOTE]

Okies, cheers!

8. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

Your welcome to any of the abf stuff :)
    the engine has an oil leak somewhere but i havent looked into it as i bought the car especially to fit the 1.8t lump!

9. cocobay63 Forum Member

i like that, those rims are superb mate i wanted them on mine when i had it

10. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

thanks mate, i was looking for some 16s so i can get bigger brakes under em. then i saw these on ebay and got em for a great price :lol:

i was gonna polish the lip and get the centres powdercoated black but not sure?

11. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

ditto with the wheels!!! thats a good buy imo... you can get them for 150 but they are all crappy, yours look nice.

I found a good way of pushing the piston back was to put a bit of 2 x 2 through it and levered it back... just an idea

12. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

i got a cheapo caliper tool from halfords ;)

13. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

Mk3 Valver to 1.8t build up thread (lots of pics!) Update 18/2/08

Hola!

Heres an update from yesterday, not much but thought id put it up anyway.

My friend has told me I should be able to borrow his engine crane by the end of this week, so thought I better start getting the ABF prepped to come out.

Got the grill off
    [​IMG]

Drained and disconnected the radiator
    [​IMG]

I know im not meant to put oil/power steering fluid down the drain but what about anti-freeze?

The entire front off
    [​IMG]

Intake and all little tubes off, fuel lines depressurized and disconnected but still petrol everywhere! :p
    [​IMG]

Collection of bits from the front!
    [​IMG]

One of the headlights is cracked so thought this was a good excuse to order some new clear ones, and fogs + repeaters too.

Tests fit of the intercooler behind the grill. Its sat on a mug so is a little high but you get the picture!
    [​IMG]

The gap at the bottom is where I want to fit the intercooler
    [​IMG]

Will need a bit of a grind, but not much because it slides in 1 end, maybe a few mm
    [​IMG]

Thats it for today! This took me a good 3 hours lol but got there in the end. [:$] All I have to do now it work out how to split the engine/tranny apart and the engine is ready to pull.
    [​IMG]

Switch x

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

brakes wise you could go to 288s. i cant tell what year yours is but if its after 96 then you prollyhave 288s already. 288s will take a world of abuse if chosen correctly, next top from there will be 312s (from audi). you keep the same caliper but get a different carrier.

you keeping your gearbox to put on the 20vt?

which 20vt you going for? (150 model or a 225 etc?)

ought to be a killer [:D]

15. Vdubbster Forum Member

I intend to go for this if my engine goes, but its only on 70K lol so may have to just do it regardless.

So far its looking good, how much are you expecting it all to cost?

And how much did you pay for the engine?

Keep the updates coming

:clap:

1.8tgti likes this.
  16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

expecting it to go at 70k? what engine is it, a vauxhall? lol

if its an abf you could drain the oil and coolant and it would probably still go till about 100k.

mine has gone past 176k. its in well good health

17. Vdubbster Forum Member

HAHA, exactly ! 176K, thats good news

18. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

its 95 so its only got 280s, although these seem to be ok atm with the new pads/disk combo, ill see how it goes :) i want 300hp+ so the time for brake upgrades will come!

im gonna keep the 02a from my car now, it seems ok atm but will need work when i start pushing power in the future.

the engine i got is a 150 but its only got 20k on it ;)

19. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

my abf has 151k on it atm and a *****in oil leak and i been drivin it around for a month with no probs :o :p

the engine was 1500k but i got a box + shifter, clocks, loom, keys ecu and a load of other stuff with it that once i have sold it will of cost me around 1k if im lucky which is a bargain for such a low milage engine. having said that u can get 1.8t passat lumps from 700

car 1200
    engine 1500
    qpeng 1300
    wheels + tyres 600
    brakes + pads 500
    gauges and other toys 400
    exhaust 550
    clutch + lightened flywheel 400
    suspension 300

erm dont want to add it up coz its to much [:$] lol

if u take it to basics u could do it for less than 2k i recon

20. Matt82