Mk3 gti 20vt. 5/7 now gutting the inside.

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Switch7, Feb 17, 2008.

1. nealey Forum Junkie

Looks amazing, one thing though, replace that front number plate!

2. Hawkesybaby Forum Member

Amen to that!!!

Dan [:o)]

3. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

look forward to it, can awe at the vr6 note on his vr :drooool:

pfft! [:$]

its meant to look hard not puffy! polished lips would be nice but its all about practicality rather than looks for me, thats why i got the whole wheel done. Same with the respray, the paint looks ace and my friend spent 2 weeks solid on it but at the end of the day it was just to tidy it up and sort the bodywork out, i wanted a fresh, near standard looking mk3. its meant for track and hard road use, its gonna get no pampering and nailed everywhere so anything that needs looking after (other than the engine etc) isnt gonna cut it :p

aye :) the back one is also ratty although it doesnt look it in the pics, its on the 500 page list of things to sort :thumbup:

4. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

Howdy.

Cars not progressed so much lately, job changes and a lot of other stuff going on has left me little time.

Good thing about job change has meant company car and has meant that I have no reliance on the golf anymore. So ive decided it doesnt need a lot of stuff anymore..

First out the dash is gone, and staying gone! Have also removed all the carpet and sound deadening in the car.

In place of the dash I have made a dash (a box :lol: ) outta ally.

[​IMG]

Heater is staying as is for now, need something to heat the screen
    [​IMG]

Crappy pic from the other side
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ive fiber glassed over the air vents and the feet well vent ports on the heater box leaving just the screen heater vent open. Bad pic but you can see it. Also im moving the cars fuse box to the middle at the bottom after a rewire.

[​IMG]

box position

[​IMG]

ive measure the box so its perfect for my seat position and me.

Had a package from performance trim

[​IMG]

also bought manual window winders to ditch the electrics, was a surprising difference in weigh from ditching the motor

manual

[​IMG]

electric

[​IMG]

fitted

[​IMG]

handles for 2

[​IMG]

and on

[​IMG]

next up.. I ordered door cards from performance trim 4 months ago. Turns out that even though they were listed for sale on their website, they didnt hold templates for a 3 door mk3, only 5 door. So I made templates for the car and sent them in and they made me a full set for my troubles for only the price of the fronts, was pretty happy.

Taped on and drilled

[​IMG]

fixed

[​IMG]

measured them for a perfect fit into the door recesses

[​IMG]

handle on

[​IMG]

release handle

[​IMG]

all done, have put a bolt in the middle for some handles when I find some I like.

[​IMG]

back to the box, made up the faceplate for my switches and dials.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mounted with most of the hardware in

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

side panels for the box cut

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dash and steering column mounted. Ive got a cage on the cards and ill re do the steering column onto that when I weld it in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

also got some spot weld drill bits and drilled out the rear bench support.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tidied up the welds and zinc primered although havent got pics of this.

[​IMG]

couple of pics through the car while the front seats were out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

have lots more in store!

5. nealey Forum Junkie

This just gets better and better

6. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Coming along really well, is that body shop in Bristol? It looks like the one I pushed a car to the other day from my mates garage. I think the guy (must be your mate) is painting one of his customers race Boras.

7. N/B

N/B Forum Member

'king hell mate, you don't hang about!

Can I ask though, why would you not angle your alu 'console' box up a little, and towards the driver a bit?
    Can see you possibly having to crane your neck a bit once you're in a helmet, etc judging by this shot

[​IMG]

Going Digital Dash (Stack, etc) ?

8. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

yeah its just round from grant motorsport? on the same estate. that bora is gonna be nice when done, seen them spraying the interior last week and think most of the panels are done too. im up there several times a week, good pair of guys always working their ass off!

lol :p

i did look at angling it towards me more but i spent ages lining it all up and i can honestly say i have no problem with its location currently. i only have little legs and the seats not in the correct position in the shot. when in the seat i can see it fine and all buttons are in reach.

you can see the dash in the shot you quoted and heres the webbie for it. and a pic below

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  9. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Yeah thats it, looks like a wicked workshop he's got there.

Looking forward to seeing more pics of your car!

Looks hard as nails.

10. Aphex Forum Junkie

I was thinking about this thread the other day and thought I'd just been missing it. Any updates?? [:D]

11. leontdi Forum Member

nice one looks like its gonna be a proper track weapon , you chippenham by any chance ? my mrs lives their ,and i have seen your mates orange mk2 around .

12. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

he has been quiet of late. Knowing him he has probably been making a frame for a 7ltr chevi v8 or something to stick in at the weekend :lol:

13. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

Haha, im still around. I have a read most days just don't post much. Currently traveling a lot with my job so get no time for the car :(

Put fully adjustable coilys on the other week, will have to get some pics up.

Leontdi - yeah am from Chippenham. That orange mk2 is a real weapon! Tractor paint as well.

14. leontdi Forum Member

cool think some lad at an audi meet at the lysley said thepaint job was like 50 qui or something then i saw it a few weeks later .