Mk3 gti 20vt. 5/7 now gutting the inside.

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Switch7, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

thanks for the support guys, appreciate it!

Its a 150 bhp motor as standard so the ko3 turbo thats on it is only good for 200-230. From what i've read 230 is pushing it. i got plans for a big turbo setup later in the year though, my goal is 300 [:D]

U mean with the secondary air and evap systems? i dont lol! i did a lot of googling and found a few threads on vortex and also i looked in my haynes manuals [:$] and its got diagrams for all the components so i just removed each bit and checked it off against the pictures.

once you get started with it, its pretty easy because each part is linked to another part of that system and its all gotta come out!

2. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

Howdy folks!

I really wanted to get a lot more done this weekend and have more to show you but the rain set in so I figured id type this up after a quick trip to the scrappy

First off this came from integrated engineering.

[​IMG]

Can you guess what it is yet?!

[​IMG]

It’s a block off plate for the side of the engine to go where the secondary air pump valve was. Comes with a nice ‘o’ ring and some hex bolts, good stuff and nice quality!

[​IMG]

Voila!

Bought this off the bay so I could polish it up but it wont fit my engine, its got no oil breather outlet for some reason? So if anyone wants it cheap send me a pm.

[​IMG]

This came from qpeng, its awesome quality, really nice welds and fits like a glove.

[​IMG]

This meant I could start on the exhaust, which I did yesterday. I didn’t manage to get it all done but I meant I could get most of it out my house and off the floor of the lounge!

Got the old one out which was an ass of a job. It had corroded and wouldn’t come apart so I got the death disk out and cut it out.

[​IMG]

look at the holes! I will miss it sounding like a corsa with a 5” on the back you can get your arm up!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Old and new side-by-side. Was amazed just how much lighter the miltek is over the stock system. Crazy.

[​IMG]

miltek in place, looks good

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next up…plumbing!

Loadsa tubes came this week.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ordered this forge unit as well but don’t think ill need it

[​IMG]

Started off by doing the rad plumbing

[​IMG]

I need to get some alloy couplers this week to link up with the engine but couldn’t order them until I knew the lengths, which I needed to measure in situ.

[​IMG]

got some different fuel line as well, this stuff is so thick

[​IMG]

And this is how the engine is looking at the mo.

[​IMG]

I got more hose to put on for the coolant tank and need to sort out the secondary pump as well. I really want to start the intercooler pipe work but I missed a few bends/reducers so that will have to wait a little bit.

Also fitted a vr6 throttle cable which is longer so it will reach my throttle on the intake manifold.

I got a hose through to cockpit for my boost gauge and all the red cable at the top is for other gauges.

Fingers crossed the weather will hold out tomo and I can get the rest of the exhaust done.

Stay tuned!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  3. Vdubbster Forum Member

4. challice Forum Member

awsome work there...its looking real good :clap:

5. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

cheers dude! your from wilts as well? where bouts?

6. turbotommy Forum Member

Great thread,and a very well deserved pat on the back for the hard work you've done so far :clap:
    Thanks for posting the link for the SAI blanking plate too ;) been wondering where to get one of those for ages!

7. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

no prob dude, they got issues with their postage on international orders so if it quotes you $1000 for shipping, send them and email and they will sort you out, and send you free stickers as well!

Howdy!

Small Sunday update, really havent got much to show. I didnt get the exhaust done like I wanted but I got a few other jobs done that were playing on my mind and needed doing.

I drained out and changed the oil in my 20v, also changed the filter.

[​IMG]

Sorted out the front brakes. Got the pads in, needed to do this for ages. I was going to paint all the calipers red but im gonna change them for something different in a few months so I figured it was a waste. Need to sort out braded hoses and bleed them all also but I can do this when I put new calipers on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I started on sorting out my intercooler piping. This is where I wish I had stayed in bed today.

I got all of one side in and routed really well so I though.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I started to mock up the other side. I couldnt complete this because I didnt order all the other tube. I did this on purpose because I wanted to mock it up and not order extra than I need because this stuff is 15quid a bend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That let me get the rest of the tube measured up and I know exactly what I need now.

After that I though it was looking pretty good until I realized I had run the pipe where the alternator is meant to be. [:x] [xxx]
    I took the alternator off because it was damaged 2 weeks ago.

So I took the pipe off and put a spare alternator on i had. Then i chopped up the pipe and managed to swing it by adding a 45 into it. Its tight but it works

[​IMG] [​IMG]

and from the front

[​IMG]

Its ok but im not 100% happy with it. [:s]

Other than this all I need to sort out on this side is somewhere for my map sensor to go, its gonna be a pain because theres no lengths of alloy for me to weld a housing in for it.

Its coming on! :thumbup:

8. Vdubbster Forum Member

Sorry to go back, whats from Qpeng ? and which Clutch and fly?

I am so doing this (after you :lol: )

9. dubvrs Forum Member

Qpeng is the modified engine loom and ecu with map.

10. gillm

gillm ***** User

lovin it mate top work again :)

11. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

From qpeng i got a modifyed wiring loom, ecu, boost switch, turbo downpipe a few adapters to make it fit the miltek and also a throttle body

the flywheel is a lightened g60 one, its 228mm in size which is perfect for the 1.8t/02a combo. the clutch is a stage2 vr6 jobbie. many places do kits which include the flywheel and clutch/pressure plate from 300 upwards if u shop around but you get what you pay for. ;)

if you got questions or need help just ask :)

thanks dude, appreciate it!

12. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

Hey peeps,

Just a small mid-week update but felt I had to post because my ecu came and im pretty excited! [:D]

New ecu:

[​IMG]

The loom:

[​IMG]

More hose! Hopefully this will be the last lot because its bankrupting me! I ended up totally blowing my budget for hose by spending 3times more than what I estimated. Dam. [:s] [:^(]

[​IMG]

Managed to get away from work on time tonight so it was nice and light when I got home:) , so I started on the other side of the intercooler.

Mock up of the route:

[​IMG]

Adjusted and connected. Could do with finding some clamps other than jubilee clips, they suck.

[​IMG]

I got some new hose for the fluid bottle as well which you can just make out in the pic.

Pic from the front, looks pretty mean with the blue pipes at the bottom!

[​IMG]

And this sandwich plate came as well, not sure what its gonna be like but will give it a try.

[​IMG]

I really want to crack on with this and get it running but im busy for the next few nights and im still waiting for a new engine accessory bracket and mk4 PAS pump to come. Think I might have to buy a new alternator as well since my mk4 one is minced. Will see if my mk3 one fits but its only 70amp and mk4 ones are 90amp, hopefully it will be powerful enough.

Cheers!

13. Jonny777 Forum Member

Great project mate. [8D]

14. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

Thanks mate!

Yoyo!
    Today was a great day, I got the power steering sorted! This is the biggest relief off my mind. Got a mk4 PAS pump and a different engine accessory bracket. Got it all bolted up and fits perfect! So happy!

New and old, the new one needs a good clean up.

[​IMG]

bolted on

[​IMG]

pipes needed a little bend, but only slightly. Fits perfect!

[​IMG]

Also got the oil sandwich plate on, fitted great!

[​IMG]

thats it for today!

15. KEV

Kev Forum Member

Good work

16. Hawkesybaby Forum Member

You have a mann sandwich in your engine.....:lol: :lol: :lol:

No.... ill get my coat [:[]

Dan[:o)]

17. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

lol u so got my sense of humor! shame nobody else gets it [:$]

18. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Forum Member

awesome job mate!!

19. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

Thanks mate!

Weekend update time!

Well its Friday and I finish work at 1pm on Fridays so with it being 5 mins from me I popped over to Combe and into Merlin to pick the last few bits I need to finish up my air pipes. nearly.

Itg air filter, more intercooler pipe and some heat sleeving to go over my throttle cable.

[​IMG]

now I got the hot side of the turbo plumbed, ended up using the forge adapter, which is great since it cost the same as 5 normal bends.

[​IMG]

Still waiting for a length of 63mm alloy pipe for the last bit, will hopefully be here next week.

[​IMG]

Then I got the intake side of the turbo done. Im real happy this is out of the way. The 63mm intake on the itg filter fitted real snug onto the end of a 63mm alloy bend I had which was great, looks clean.

Only problem I got with the filter on this side is its where the battery is meant to go but since I have an empty side on the other side of the engine I might put it there or relocate it to the boot. Anyone know any good battery relocation kits?

Could also do with making a heat shield/barrier and an intake pipe for the filter.

[​IMG]

Next up, the new ecu.

I got the old ecu out, its huge compared to the MBE!

[​IMG]

mounted it onto the old ecu bracket, nice and tight.

[​IMG]

I then mounted it in the car, didnt take any pics yet but will do once I have cleaned out the organic compost heap I found under the scuttle tray.

The new loom

[​IMG]

I got this on the car and routed, connected all the connectors but I have to splice a few wires in like the tacho, fuel pump etc if I can find them. More on this later.

I took the rocker cover off so I could give it a spruce up, real clean underneath!

Sorry the pic is a bit dark, sun was going down!
    [​IMG]

then covered it in cleaner and left it to soak while I cleaned up.

[​IMG]

thats it for today!

Saturday

Dont have many pics of the processes for this. I put the cover in the shower and blasted all the crap off it, came up great. Then I keyed all the metal with wet and dry and cleaned it again.

Then I masked all the stuff I didnt want painted and gave it 5 coats of plasti-kote metal protekt. This stuff is heat rated so should be good. Went for white to spruce up the bay and also colours were a bit limited at b&q.

[​IMG]

Then with all the tape off

[​IMG]

Put it on the engine

[​IMG]

Then wired

[​IMG]

Now the rain has just started hammering down so I guess thats it on the car for today, unless it dries up a bit. Think tomo is going to be the same as well. If it was dry I think I could get it running this weekend.

On the upside, I just ordered some new seats so thats something to look forward to!

Things left to do:

Finish the exhaust + fit lambada
    Change oil again, Fill power steering reservoir
    Put last bits of the pipe work together
    Plumb boost gauge and map sensor
    Finish last bit of wiring and sort out bits of old loom I can remove
    Clean the bay
    Fit new inlet if it ever comes!
    Fit new seats!
    Finally clean the entire car out so it doesnt look like a skip!

Oh while i remember, does anyone know what powersteering fluid i should use in the mk3, cant find any anywhere and dont wanna go to the steeler!

Cheers!

20. pwoiks Forum Member

its coming along nicley now mate. fair play to you. i finished a simular conversion on my mk2 about 6 months ago. i also baught a sandwhich plate so i could put my senders for my gauges in. i would say chek the nut type thing they supplied you with the sender. i was sent the wrong one and it only caught the oil filter housing by about 2 threads. when i started the engine for the first time and revd it a little to get the oil pressure up the filter poped off and a shed load of new oil went eerywhere lol.