MKII 16 Valve: Cant engage gears

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Peter, Jan 5, 2006.

1. steved Forum Member

Its not the box thats the problem its the fitting.

2. mk1. Forum Junkie

looks like everthing has been covered,the only thing I can suggest is a faulty pressure plate,ive fitted a few of those over the years [:s]

3. Peter Forum Member

I think youre right mk1 I cant think what else it could be, it is a Sachs clutch so I presumed it would be good quality, decided to fit the old KR set up but with the new friction plate and see if the pressure plate is at fault, hopefully we'll get the time to swap it all over pretty soon

pete

4. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Assemble the pressure plates and flywheels off the car and compare the gap where the friction plate should sit.
    They should be the same within a few thou anyway.
    If they are the same, there's a good chance that it's nots the clutch assebly but some other, usually small part or stupid reason why it doesn't work.
    I know you said he had the end cover off, but did he take the finger out?
    It can be really hard to see if there's a crack in it when it's all full of gunk and pooty oil.

5. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

No problem Pete, happy to help if I can. I would come and have a look in person if I could help but I'm not too well at the moment, still if you can use anything from my pile of bits to narrow down the fault then you're more than welcome :)

Try and crack on and get it finished rather than lay it up though, we're all keen to know what the problem is now!

Putting the old clutch bits in sounds like a good plan, I agree that it's probably not the gearbox at fault unless the clutch finger is knackered but you've checked that so I suppose it's unlikely. Maybe double check as Hotgolf says, or try my complete gearbox with clutch mechanism on there if you want? Good luck, the end is near! [:D]
    Edited by: Stu

6. Peter Forum Member

Thank you again everyone

Just got off the phone and the problem seems to be fixed, the old KR set up went on and the problem has apparently gone away. I can only presume that it is the pressure plate which is faulty, its very annoying as the gearbox has been fitted and removed three times now which is a real pain not to mention time consuming I thought that this was a quality item when I bought it guess you live and learn, only problem is I am unsure whether I can return the plate as I bought it nearly a year ago now although it has never been used n the road and still looks like new,

I need to go and take a look myself but my mechanic has told me we can get gears now but first is very notchy do you think it needs aligning? It seems odd I only unclipped the round plastic clip and removed the pin from the weighted shift rod when I removed the engine and box; I havent touched any of the gubbins directly beneath the gear knob.

My immobiliser has also decided to throw in the towel guess it must have happened when the gearbox earth was removed, its another thing that needs sorting!

Thought I would enjoy doing the engine swap but to be honest its been a thoroughly un pleasant experience [8(]

Pete

7. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Pete - chin up mate, you're getting there - it sounds like the main problems are sorted now. I would definitely try and return the faulty pressure plate even if you've had it a while, the fact is it isn't suitable for the purpose it was sold for so you should get a full refund.

The immobiliser probably needs resetting once all the earths are back in place as you say. I'd disconnect the battery, put all the wiring back where it goes and then reconnect the battery - it might be as simple as that (you never know)!

As for the gears - shouldn't need aligning really but it's easy enough to do so long as you are very careful with movements of the shift rod once the pinch bolt underneath is undone. Bit of trial and error may be required but I'd leave it as it is for now, could be notchy for other reasons - does the box have plenty of oil in and is the clutch fully disengaging?

You'll soon forget about all the mither and skinned knuckles once the car is up and running, I did! :)

8. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Can you get somepics up of the pressure plate?
    It would have to be pretty defective to not work at all, so the problem should be apparent by looking at it i.e, bent spings or fingers.

9. stephcasscar Paid Member Paid Member

sound like you have had a nightmare with the clutch stuff,

The gear selector can be a bit fiddle to set up, as Stu says though, adjust it a little at a time, If you can get some to sit in the car and hold the gearstick steady you can it set up quicker.

10. Peter Forum Member

I'm away tomorrow but I'll try and grab a pic of the plate over the next few days, it looked fine TBH the only apparent fault was that it sat approx 2mm closer to the block than the original [:s]

Am I right in thinking that the linkage would only be out if I had had moved the parts beneath the gear stick?

Its worn me down Stu every time I seem to be finished something else crops up, being very short tempered doesnt help either [:$] I should have the original invoice from ECP so Ill see what they say, failing that I'll have to see if I'll be able to buy a replacement pressure plate with out having to buy the full kit

Pete

11. Carl loader Forum Member

Hi Pete, just been reading through the thread out of interest as im getting ready to put a 2 litre lump into my car

When you say that 1st gear is apparently a bit notchy, it sounds like you just need to adjust the gear linkage by using the appropriate vw tool. I had to adjust mine once i'd replaced all the bushes, and i could never get it quite right until i found someone selling the tool on ebay. Its so quick and easy once you've got that so i'd try and get hold of one if i were you

12. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Probably, yes, but with having the engine and 'box out and presumably renewing the mounts and other bits and bobs the box might not line up exactly where it was before so the linkage might need slight adjustment. I did mine without the special tool although I believe Dave227727727 ( :p ) on here sells them so might be worth getting hold of one.

13. Andy Plastic Forum Member

Just read the thread, sounds like a right mare...

I adjusted my linkage without the tool when I changed the clutch. put it in neutral and tightened the linkage screw up. Had to make a couple of tiny adjustments to get all the gears smooth.

It should'nt take you long, have a go before you go and buy the tool.

14. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

The tool Dave sells is quite cheap and well worth having if you run a mk2 with an 020.

15. Peter Forum Member

Going to have a bash at fixing the aligment on saturday morning if possible I'll PM'd dave in the meantime

Been away all day but spoke to dad before and the mechanic has been out in the car and apart from the notchy first all seems fine, he mentioned that it was very brisk!

Just need to fit my new wheels and tyres sort a few other bits and bobs out then hopefully I can really give it a good testing

Pete

16. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Very brisk eh? Sounds good! [:D]
    Take it easy when you first test it and keep an eye on oil pressure/temp and water temp and keep a lookout for leaks. I found mine had sprang a few water leaks and needed some ptfe on the thermotime switch and other senders to seal them tight when the 'new' engine was in place.

Glad to hear it's nearly sorted!

17. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Glad to hear it's running Pete, hope you don't have any more probs. :)

Gear alignment - Could try putting it in 3rd, slackening the clamp and tightening it up again.
    Edited by: GVK

18. Peter Forum Member

Thanks fellas :)

busy at work today so I cant get out but dad picked the car up for me, the linkage has been sorted so it gets gears fine now, unfortunately its now misfiring past 2000rpm with the rev counter becoming very jerky when doing so [8(] sounds like something electrical to me so I'll have to investigate it, it reved fine right up to the redline last week so its another puzzle, I think this car is going to send me mad! :lol:

Ordered a tool from Dave :thumbup: as you say Gary its useful to have for the future

Pete

19. Peter Forum Member

All fixed now, a bad earth was the culprit picking it up after dinner tonight, very excited, if a touch nervous :lol:

Pete

20. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Good stuff Pete - report back when you've had a good test drive! :)