MKII 16 Valve: Cant engage gears

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Peter, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Peter Forum Member

Right picked the car up a few hours back, the drive back was a bit annoying as the roads were very busy and I was itching to open it up, went out a bit later when the roads were a little quieter and gave it some beans, first impressions are very good I can feel the increase in torque but its the top end rush that surprised me the most, was really good fun I can see it becoming quite addictive!!, air box sounds really good and the 4 branch wasnt as loud as I expected which is cool,

Also replaced the front mount with a VT one and changed the sub frame bushes for Powerflex ones when everything was out, engine and box feel nice and taught now which is cool

Another thing that surprised me was the steering I replaced the rack bush again with a Powerflex item the steering feels noticeably better now with a sharper and more connected feel

Got to do a few little jobs tomorrow the I'm going to clean the car as its really dirty inside and out, the front wheel bearing needs doing so Ill get that done next week, think I'll try and get a tune up locally if possible, Ideally I would like it to Stealth but its quite far away when I get a few free days I might try and run it down there.

One thing I did notice was the oil pressure, when starting from cold the oil pressure was under the 5 bar reading about 4.6 4.7 this surprised me as my old 150,000 KR would sit dead on five from cold, the car idles well at approx 900rpm, blipping the throttle slightly sees the needle go up to five but it then falls back, during driving the needle seems fine in fact it seems to read slightly higher than the KR, when the car is fully warm the oil sits at about 1 bar when idling which is same as before, is this reading from cold ok?

Pete

2. shopatron New Member

Hey, back to your original clutch problem.
    I've just had exactly the same problem!
    Finaly got round to fitting my newly refurbished 6a block and 2y gearbox only to find that i was able to raise the clutch arm very high before the rod hit the release plate. (lucky i noticed before i went ahead and bolted the rest of the conversion together!)

Guess what i've got a new Sachs clutch!
    Did you ever manage to compare your old clutch to the Sachs one?

Unfortunately i've no longer got the original pressure plate or release plate to compare. I do still have the friction plate and it matches up. (ap clutch)
    I will be well p***** off if it's the Sachs clutch that is at fault. I've been down all the roads that you have tried and it looks like either the pressure plate is closer to the block than it should be or the small hole in the middle of the release plate is too deep. I'm going to try and get hold of an AP, Valeo or Luk to compare.

3. Peter Forum Member

Didnt compare the clutch unfortunately but when I get chance I'll go and get a photograph of it and take some measurements, it was doubly annoying as not only did I have to have the gearbox fitted and removed three times I also had a flywheel balanced to the pressure plate, need to try and take it back to ECP sounds if you are experiencing similar problems maybe its not a fault with the plate it may be a slightly different design to other manufacturers and it works fine with the KR but not with 2.0 blocks

Pete

4. shopatron New Member

Cheers.
    I'll report back any findings if i get a chance to compare between manufacturers.

5. Peter Forum Member

That would be great :thumbup:

Pete