Modified Cars..... Mugs Game!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Andy947, Mar 21, 2004.

1. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

A mugs game huh? Guess what andy, I rolled my twice thrash-featured, modified, respected white mk1 16v a couple of weeks back! The car is beyond any physical repair. You know what, i didnt even post this up on the forum... You know why? because at the end of the day, its only a car! I spent untold hours and cash on my car and loved every minute of it. But i wouldn't say that it was a waste. It doesn't matter if your car is modified or standard, or wether you drive fast or cautiously, anyone can have a crash at any time, we just dont know. I am looking for another shell and get back motoring soon. My car cost me a fraction of the price of cars with similar performance, but if its money your worried about, but a nissan micra 0.9L or get a scooter because cars cost money, they dont make money.

2. prof Forum Addict

you must have been driving some shagged mk2s then matey,

with good tyres and brakes, a mk2 is a very safe handling car. Compared to a 205 of the same era the lift off stability is pretty good. It's only when heavily modified or poorly shod that the ar5e out antics raise their head.

3. prof Forum Addict

remember that Andy was running very wide wheels with stretched tyres, i wouldn't personally muck about with the tyre fitments in this way, an 8" rim should have a tyre designed for an 8" rim IMHO,

4. damogti Forum Junkie

Agree with Prof, my Mk2 was great in standard form!!

5. b'locks Forum Addict

it's well known (or i thought it was) that standard mk2 suspension is pretty good (miles better than lardy mk3). i think the brakes were an improvement in the mk3 tho?

6. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

just don't drive like a tw4t then....

7. prof Forum Addict

says you :lol:

8. ViCk Forum Member

Street sleeper is definately my thing! :thumbup:

Sorry to hear about your car vw singh (one less Mk1 16v in Hayes eh), that was a nice Mk1 u had, like u said it can happen to anyone, and I was lucky to survive myself in a car accident with my dads A4 1.8T on the country roads.

Definately agree with Drew also.

9. mk2driva Forum Member

i almost had the same change of heart last week. Got a new webber fitted and some other stuff and it aint made much difference so i was thinkin feck this ill buy a newer car thats already modded so i dont need to do anythin to it - r reg seat ibiza gti cupra sport. was going to get a good trade in price from my bruv (he's car salesman) insurance was not going to be a problem then ... it failed its mot!! just as well i didnt buy it. the lesson i learned is that old or new cars modded or not you still get problems, lose shed loads of money and they all come to the same end result - crashed, broken up or sold for a fraction of what you spent. i think id rather spend my cash on a car thats (lets face it) a bit different for your average 18yr old than a new but borin standard car. Sayin that from now on im only doing moddin if its somethings broke. Not going to waste money replacin things that are alrite.
    thats my rather useless 2p's worth [:D]

10. Andy947 Forum Addict

OK - This thread was started after a night on the drink, gettin depressed about the feckin car and the hassle its provin to be sortin all this out!!!

Upon reflection, modified cars are cool, but to me the real fn is in the actual bild - i took way more pleasure from actually being able to say i did that all on my own than i ever did from actually driving it.

Drew - yes you are right, the car was a total compromise in terms of handling, it was a superb dry weather car, all those with uprated suspension and ARB's will confim how good it is - but show it a wet / damp road, and there is your trade off - you lose wet grip. Fact is, it WAS a combination of slight excess speed and suspension mods that killed the car - not disputing that.

And for those of you saying that it was simpy just a clean car, with a set of wheels - cheers [xxx]

i WILL be back with another MK2 - i'll hopefully have a full compliment of bits to get started on the other car, and it will get the same amount of hard work and effort that the last one did.

11. Andy947 Forum Addict

Oh and yeah it can happen to anyone - that was my orginal point - you spemnd all that time workin on the car, and it can simply be destroyed at any time - hence if you had a standard car, you would feel no real loss like destroyin something you worked your ass off for. :)

12. drew Forum Member

New standard car maybe. Old standard car? No way.

Just because it's stock doesn't mean a lot of work hasn't been put into it. I've put in hundreds of hours getting my car both back to standard and keeping it that way, not counting keeping it shiny. It's bloody hard work, but fun...and like you, done mostly by myself.

Could I replace my Mk1 Campaign? Not easily. Just because it is standard doesn't mean there isn't a lot of blood sweat and tears invested.

Cheers,

Drew.

Edited by: drew

13. b'locks Forum Addict

yeah but that's Andy's point....instead of working your arse off modifying your car, you worked your arse off tidying it up and getting it back to standard, therefore if you spanked it into a tree, then you'd be more p1ssed off than if no work had gone into it.

14. GRINGOG60 Forum Member

Some interesting poits from all you chaps!
    I think it's all about knowing to say when enough is enough with modding them. I like the way Vw built them realy and like to improve them a little hear and there. I think spoilers and side skirts etc are a right load of old b*llocks and a complete waist of money and actually slow your motor down! ANd people dont look at your car thinking wow! what a cool car! they think what a Pratt!

The thing i love best is hunting for the bargains in the classifieds and all the money i spend is always from either being paid for working on other peoples cars or buying and selling bangers. My 16 Valve transplant into Mk1 Cost me hardly anything- i bought a 16 valve Mk2 and ripped every thing out of it for the job- i bought the car for a Measley 150 and sold the wheels off of it the next day for 270 and the Cd player and speakers it had for 100 - ok so i was lukcy and got the car off of a right plank who didnt know what it was all worth but it paid for it self. This is what you lot should maybe think about?

The very first car i had was a Mk2 driver which i through every penny i had at- i crippled my self financialy with credit cards and an overdraft etc and looking back it looked nice on the drive but that was about it! It was heavy and very slow and it was never what i would call a descent motor- Some guy in a Rover 200 once kicked my A8rse! [:s]

Dont spend the money if you dont have it! And start with a car where the performance and handling is half descent otherwise youl'll never be happy with it.

My 2p

15. minto Forum Member

Sorry, didn't mean to upset you

16. ValverPaul Forum Member

With regards to modding-
    Do what suits you!! - I'm not into following a big crowd with the bits i've done to my car, just subtle and to MY liking!! When I get it all back together and on the road it wont of cost me an arm and a leg, just abit of time!!
    It wont be a show stopper (far from it) but its mine and I like it, I think anyone who wraps their car up-old, new,modded or standard is gonna be gutted!! IMHO ;)

17. Andy947 Forum Addict

You arent a stupid guy - you knew what i meant!!!

I meant cars that had had loads of work ont hem - no standard MK1 golf is "standard" in the way it was when it was new - all of them have had lots of work to look after them - put it this way how gutted would you be if you lost thecar, even though it may be full insured for all its value???

Cras that have required a lot of personal hours are impossible to replace - full stop!!!

And if you are ever in theposition like me that building a car like that is maybe a one off project due to time and job constraints then maybe you will realise just how crap it is to lose it all - and with the insurance not playing ball, possibly losing ALL the custom parts on the vehicle!!!!!!!!! [:^(]

18. Rallye Forum Junkie

maybe the building is more funt han the product for some of us!

lol so thats why mine is so draqgged out!

19. Jeff Forum Junkie

andy and drew agree on something? I think I need to lie down :lol:

20. drew Forum Member

Agreed. :clap:

Cheers,

Drew.