Modified Cars..... Mugs Game!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Andy947, Mar 21, 2004.

1. edition38 Forum Member

here here wish i had a pound in my pocket for every hour ive put in over the last ten years [:s]

2. Rahul Forum Junkie

thought you said you had an agreed value?

am i missing something here?!
    Edited by: CabrioRags

3. Andy947 Forum Addict

Yes agreed value - but stuff oike the dash conversion may be lost if i dont get to keep the wreckage, sane with other bits n bobs i have worked on.

4. damogti Forum Junkie

surely you had it in the policy that you retained the car in the event on an accident??? I have thsi on my policy...........

5. Andy947 Forum Addict

yeah its on the policy, but they are being arse's - sayin its not company policy and stuff - but i'm gonna fight em on this!

6. damogti Forum Junkie

if its on the insurance docs then they have to honour it!! What insurance company are you with?

Good luck with sorting it :)

7. Andy947 Forum Addict

Its HIC - it does say we will "endeavour" so christ knows - nut it aint been an easy task so far!

8. damogti Forum Junkie

[:^(] I'm with HIC too, hope i never have this problem if the worst happens.......

"endeavour" sounds like a bit of a copout to me..... [:x] [:s]

Keep us all posted on what they say mate:) ;)
    Edited by: damogti

9. Dinibird New Member

I've never seen the point of spending thousands upon thousands modifying cars. You don't get it back on resale, insurance is higher, and lots of mods on the road look plain nasty. Best to keep it simple, with some subtle mods and buy clever. For example. Hubbie made sure his Mk3 came with BBS's when he bought the car - cheaper than getting them separately. All he has done to it is get a headlamp conversion, and it looks lovely. Not OTT at all. Its a bit on the slow side to me and I hate the spongey handling, but he spent lots of money in the past just keeping his previous Pug205 1.9 GTI on the road (which I subsequently wrote off!), so didn't want to spend too much on the VW.
    With my Sportline, the basic car is beautiful enough, I was going to get an eyebrow for it, a bigger exhaust but nothing else as repairs cost enough as it is, and I think it was fine as it was. Alas, I didn't get the chance.
    The ones I think are really stupid are those who do up 500 Novas, especially 1.3 or smaller. Its very wannabe. If you want to do a car up, at least make sure its a decent model from the start. Anything else is just sad. I take that bloke who was on Britain's worst driver as my prime example. He'd spent 15 grand on his heap of a Nova!! Sheer madness!
    Sorry if I've upset some of you, but it is nice to have money for other things like holidays and a home - as much as we all love our cars, we must agree that the aggro they bring is not worth it most of the time...(maybe I'm just a bitter cow though....)
    Each to their own!

10. skinner Forum Member

Its all down to personal choice,if you would rather spend thousands on your old golf ,rather than holidays or homes etc.then it is entirely up to you ,it is not a waste of money if you enjoy doing it,neither is buying a 20k new car and losing 5k in a few months.
    Does everything have to have a reason or be financialy sound,if we gauge satisfaction on the amount of money we have saved then we all might as well just work,earn money and sit at home dreaming of all the interest it is making,while reading the financial times,i`m sure we would all have smiles on our faces doing just that....

11. b'locks Forum Addict

money is for spending

12. Poke Forum Member

Some very good points from both argument, like when i bought my golf i thought of spending thousands on suspension/brakes/wheels/interior/engine conversion, but at the end of the day i want something rear wheel or four wheel drive with a turbo, so i might just hold out and enjoy the golf as VW intended and get the car i want when i can :)

13. drew Forum Member

Ah... big mistake there.

Capital is for investing, return is for spending.

Cheers,

Drew.

14. StefanVW Forum Member

I've never bought a brand new car but I have bought a brand new motorbike. I've had it almost four years now and it isn't worth anything anymore. The pain of getting it serviced at a dealer to maintain warranty....

I'd never do it again, car or bike.

In regards to modifying, I reckon I've been quite sensible so far. But driving the vento encourages me to be sensible and think twice before I do any stupid stunts on the road. This past week I've been driving the old polo (which isn't modded) and I've been a complete hooligan. I have no respect for that car... It only cost me 100 to buy and I've had that much value out of it already.

But at the end of the day we are all different and we all have hobbies. Modifying cars is an expensive one but it is possible to remain sensible yet still have fun.

15. burkey Forum Member

Skinner is exactly right, its all down to the satisfaction you get from spending your money, whether you want to spend it all on your old golf - new car or even a boat, we work hard knowing what comes in the end, we get satisfaction from spending money!

16. vrbanana Forum Junkie

And your thoughts now???

17. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Should burkey win some kind of prize for `Most randomly revived old thread`? [:s] :clap: :lol:

18. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Who "rekks" I should revive the Big Fast Cars thread?

19. diggerbucket Forum Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

20. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i recon we should dig out the "whats the fastest car youve beaten" thread