MSDroid for Megasquirt -Android dash, tuning, and log viewer [0.3a3 update - 22.2.13]

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Trev16v, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Release 0.3a3 now pushed to Google Play

Changelog extract:

2. mickey marrows Forum Member

Used it this morning Trev with pre3.3alpha10. Worked a treat! many thanks for the update..

3. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Well, I still haven`t bought a BT adapter lol. Have you managed to incorporate exporting into the app yet ?

I realise my use is pretty specific, but If I`m mapping, I use my laptop, all I want the app for is to datalog a session then export so I can overlay the data onto a video afterwards.

If that is now a feature, I`ll get the BT adapter ordered and give it a go :thumbup:

4. Trev16v

Ah - good news is that export to MSL format feature is now done and is in the current release on Play.

The other thing is it can now also support USB instead of Bluetooth. The current Play release supports FTDI USB to serial adapters, and the next release currently being checked over supports Prolofic USB to serial adapters as well. To use USB, I'm not sure without checking how modern the Android OS version needs to be, but probably safe to say it needs to be ICS or JellyBean (so, 4 onwards). Not all devices will support it. A device that does support it very nicely is the Nexus 7 as an example. So if you're using an older device (for example if you want to use an old HTC Desire for this) then Bluetooth would be the way to go. Or use it as an excuse to treat yourself to a Nexus 7!

5. Nige

I have a Desire S, but that`s running JB ;)

I`d need an adapter from RS232 to USB, so it probably makes more sense to just get the BT adapter, so I know it`ll work.

6. Trev16v

I've got a Desire HD running JB (JellyTime ROM, or something). I think I did try the USB support on it but don't think it worked. I'll try it again.

7. Trev16v

No, no joy with the HD running JellyTime unfortunately. But I flashed it with that quite a while back now; I'll try putting a more recent OS build on to see if it will do it. But actually I have a feeling that the actual hardware needs to support USB OTG. If the actual device's USB hardware doesn't support USB OTG / USB host mode then you're kind of screwed.

I'll look around on xda-developers to see if I'm actually wrong. But at the moment yeah it seems that Bluetooth is the best bet.

8. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Trev.
    I'm Stuck trying to get the Bluetooth adaptor to work. I've registered it and trying to change any settings in the bt terminal just doesn't work. Can't even type anything into the hyper terminal.

When trying on the laptop, a click of the status? button just reads error.
    On my desktop it doesn't read anything.

When trying to change any setting though the buttons under the hyper terminal nothing seems to happen.

Tried for over an hour, an it's probably something stupid. Msdroid can find the adaptor but it is the default name and pin.
    It the obviously won't connect to the ecu as the baud rate change also hasn't been made.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  9. Trev16v

Hiya,

Is it the one I linked to that you've got? And are you needing to change it over to 115,200 baud for MS2/MS3?

Are you attempting to change its settings (particularly the baud rate) via Hyperterminal in Windows, with the PC connected to the Bluetooth adatper via serial port? If so, that's the correct thing to do. Firstly if you're having to connect to it via a USB to serial adapter, then use Device Manager to determine which 'virtual' COM port number your USB/serial dongle is at. Then point Hyperterminal at that COM port. Also, you need to have Hyperterminal configured to work at the buadrate that the Bluetooth interface will currently be at, which will be 9600 baud. Then you should be able to communicate with it, and use the command to set the baud rate, e.g. BAUD=115200.

10. beetie

beetie Forum Member

After finding a post by you on mx5 forum I got a few bits rectified. The pc baud rate to that of the Bluetooth dongle 19200.(it is the one you linked to) when typing AT and enter it comes up with OK. But still struggling to change the baud rate.

I need it to be 9600 for ms1

Typing BAUD=9600 doesn't seem to do anything.

I'll keep trying, I'll get there in the end

It's plugged into the rd232 port while trying to make the changes

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  11. Trev16v

That's annoying. So sending AT gets you the OK response then, but the baud rate command just doesn't produce any response at all?

12. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Got the settings changed to 9600 with the switch set to DCE. Switching to dte when connected to the ecu msdroid will go reading signature then fail.

Say on status connected to Bluetooth but not to ecu, check baud rate.

On checking baud rate it is 9600

13. Trev16v

Did you get anywhere with this? What Megasquirt firmware version are you using?

14. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Got the baud changed. Just won't read the ecu signature.

On the latest firmware 029y4a, although I might download it again to rule it out

15. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Finally got it working. Was on the original b&g firmware. Changed to the new extra code 029y4a and it's now okay.

Happy Days

16. Trev16v

Excellent!

17. Trev16v

Cool new YouTube video someone did of MSDroid, which shows off all the features really well:

[video=youtube;fBH2QLRjmZ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBH2QLRjmZ8&list=UUrCF0ePXrV0FZTPBAVU6tZA&index=1[/video]

18. Nige

Dongle bought. Setup (finally !) I`m writing a how-to, I think it needs one !

Installed, connected to ECU, initially it came up with an error and the fuel table was all zero`s. Tried again and it worked.

Throttle reads 20% when none and 91% when full. Can`t find a `calibrate TPS` option ?

CLT reads 72, even when the engine is stone cold.

Haven`t changed any settings since the last trackday and it was working fine then. I just booted up the laptop and that showed 0% Throttle at rest, 100 WOT and ambient CLT.. [:s]

Otherwise, looks good ! .MSL export worked without issue and imported into RaceRender.

Does the app import all the ECU settings ? I went into ECU settings >Fuelling Algorithm and neither were `checked`, even though my ECU is set to Alpha-N.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  19. Trev16v

That's great news Nige.

Regarding TPS calibration, I think that the master code branch now has the TPS calibrate facility (I think Seb or Dave have done it) but as I'm such a slacker with doing the releases, what you have off Google Play is perhaps a couple of months out of date now. I'll do another release shortly which may have it in. EDIT: Yes, just checked the changelog for the next release and the TPS calibration is in there.

What version of MS is it you're using again? Yeah the ECU settings you mention aren't read from the ECU if I remember right; they're local project settings if that makes sense. I'll check this though.

Coolant is a strange one. I wonder if it's reading in Fahrenheit?

20. Nige

The thing is, I don`t know all my ECU settings. I just let Tunerstudio read them from the ECU.

Not sure why I`d need to calibrate TPS, can`t MSDroid read the existing range from the ECU ?