MSDroid for Megasquirt -Android dash, tuning, and log viewer [0.3a3 update - 22.2.13]

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Trev16v, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks Nige. That's a good idea and will raise a ticket for it.

2. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Please clear some space in your inbox or drop me your email address.

3. Trev16v

Sorry Nige. Try again now.

4. Bruce T Forum Member

Hi Trev,

I've finally got an android device to play with. I've downloaded your software and so far it looks great! Just need to get a Bluetooth adaptor for my ms2. Do you have an updated link for the Bluetooth adaptor on the first post? Or recommendation for another that may be suitable?

Many thanks,
    Bruce.

5. Trev16v

Sorry Bruce. I missed the above post before. What Android device do you have? As depending on what it is, you might be able to use a wired USB connection. If your device something like a Nexus 7 that supports USB host/OTG (and if the Status Page in MSDroid tells you that USB "should work") then try using an FTDI-baesd USB to serial interface lead. It needs to be a USB to DB9 lead, and you may also require a micro-USB adapter cable. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FTDI-USB-...ting_Parallel_Serial_PS_2&hash=item19e7c7b986

This seller is providing Bluetooth interfaces that can be provided configured readily either for MS1 or MS2/MS3 (you have to specify). They mention MSDroid and show screenshots though I've got no affiliation to them. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LDPerform...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4acf58234f

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  6. Bruce T Forum Member

Thanks for the reply Trev.
    I've got a galaxy S3 and my brother has a kindle fire HD that we've flashed with a custom rom which might be quite good with your software.
    I actually bought one of the eBay adaptors that you linked to a few months back now. Haven't had a change to test it yet. Will let you know how I get on though. :thumbup:

Cheers,
    Bruce.

7. Nige

I`ve been using this program for ages now. Trev has implemented some suggestions and I`ve had no major issues with it. :clap:

I use it for datalogging when on circuit, but once my Turbo conversion is completed, I`ll be using the live display for the Boost pressure and IAT monitoring, as well as the datalogging. I`m not quite as good on the small screens as the `young ones` ;), so I`ll be doing the mapping on the laptop.

8. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

9. Bruce T Forum Member

Finally got a chance to try out MSdroid and the LDPerformace bluetooth adaptor last night.

Really impressed with both! The seem to work very well together, connected and communicating with my MS2 within seconds! [:D]

The only problem I had was when trying to calibrate my TPS MSdroid stop working/force closed 9/10 times. I think this may well be something to do with the custom ROM that i'm running on my S3 (cyanogenmod 10.something) as it seams to do the same when trying it with the Kindle HD fire running the same ROM. Is this a know issue Trev? Would I better trying with the stock Samsung ROM?

Everything else seems to work fine. :thumbup:

Many thanks.

10. Nige

I have the same issue with the TPS too. I mentioned it to Trev some time ago, I understand he`s working on the next version and it`ll be fixed in that one :thumbup:

Bruce T likes this.
  11. Bruce T Forum Member

Ah thats good to know! Thanks Nige :thumbup:

Nige likes this.
  12. Trev16v

That's awesome that you have it up and running Bruce! Dead chuffed about that. Great to see another CGTI member using it.

Yep I've been busy re-writing the tuning section from scratch in fact. Well actually almost the whole thing has been rewritten, hence the lack of updates on Play for a while. I really hope to get a beta release ready within a few weeks. I remember redoing the TPS calibrate part of it a few weeks back in fact.

By the way it's a good idea to stay with slightly older Megasquirt fimrware (that is, something that was released more than a few months ago) to keep using MSDroid for now, because the new MSDroid will be required to support the cutting-edge MS firmwares.

The tuning user interface is now redesigned and is very responsive to different screen orientations and sizes. I'm not sure how long Facebook image URLs stay valid for but I'll try posting them anyway.

Typical tablet tuning layout:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Typical phone layout:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Nige likes this.
  13. Nige

Trev, just a bit more feedback on my use of MSDroid.

I was at Rockingham yesterday and used MSDroid as my primary boost gauge. Not only that, but I also used it to datalog every session I did. The program didn`t miss a beat, nice quick updates, logged every session and I`ve been able to overlay that one the videos on the day.

I needed to tweak the map between sessions and that was done with Msdroid. I never took my laptop out of the bag all day, the phone and this app did it all. :clap:

For the complete engine mapping we did on Saturday, a laptop and keyboard will be hard to beat, a tablet might be fine though. For on the spot tweaks and fine tuning, this app on a phone is great.

Can`t wait for V2 !

Trev16v likes this.
  14. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I did ask on NL if you had a visible boost gauge..

Pfftt.. no analogue 52mm gauge here..

I'm so old skool. lol

15. Nige

Sorry Gary, I never replied. [:$]

I was going to get one, but MSDroid works fine. I always have the phone datalogging in the car anyway and it`s dead easy to configure so the main display is a huge Boost gauge :thumbup:

It`s cheaper too, I already had the phone & dongle... lol

16. GVK

When I had turbo cars I always had a mechanical gauge, but that was in the days before such tech.. lol

Nige likes this.
  17. Trev16v

It's really great that this is being really useful for you Nige. It's a lot of work that is paid off when you get nice feedback like that.

Anyone running MS should get a cheap Bluetooth dongle (or USB interface if your Android device will support it) and give it a go!

Nige likes this.
  18. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

When are you doing one for DTA... ;)

19. GVK

You can get a display screen for DTA, whether it's as configurable/useful as Trev's creation I don't know.

20. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Extra hardware. And they aren't. Trev just rocks.
    I hope he likes people sucking up to him... lol

GVK likes this.