My friend killed someone whilst drunk.

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by pictonroad, Jul 5, 2004.

1. pictonroad Forum Member

Well,

he's pretty numb about it all, i totally wimped out of speaking to him but my friend Andy did. Pretty much accepted he's screwed up his life, thinks he'd have to go abroad to be a doc without having "death crash doctor" type stuff hanging over him. Obviously the guilt far far outweighs anything else. He will have to face the parents of the victim in court. How the hell do you do that?

Thing is he lives 3 hours drive away from me and we hadn't spoken for a while, like blokes do and obviously he couldn't really phone round and tell everyone.

So so bad, I think this is one of the worst things that can happen to someone.

And I do think drink changes people, not everyone, I can still control my actions but I do know people who change completely when they've had a few.

And why should he get a harsher sentence because he's a doctor that's just nonsense, how the hell does that make a difference?????

2. Jeff Forum Junkie

I agree with everything you said except that bit, which is pure speculation.

If he didnt drink the alcohol, the same or very similar could have happened. Alcohol wasnt necessarily the only cause of this accident, none of us know what other factors were involved. It could well have happened to a sober driver too.

Of course drinking does make it more likely, which is why its never a good idea. [8(]

3. S700SSY Forum Member

Andy947 is quite right here.

There needs to be an intent to drive. This can be proved a couple of ways :- keys in the ignition / seatbelt on.

The police may arrest you for being drunk in charge. However, if you can prove there was no intent to drive you would not be convicted.

Back to the original thread - what a shame for all parties involved. A moment of madness and this is the result.

Very sad,
    S700SSY

4. jprocter Forum Member

From what i can see his mate obiviously intended drink driving by taking the car or by having his 1st drink. That makes it not a drunken mistake but a fully thought out action.

I also dont think drink is to blame as the guy obviously thought about it before. I belive alcohol is ace if you use it for fun i.e go out have a laugh get lashed get ur mates/gf to throw you in a taxi.

All i can say is i feel sorry for this guys family and mates and the dead guys.

p.s is this the 1st time the guy had drunk driven?

p.p.s i think the mate sounds quite cold about it thinking about his carear (abroad) i think most people would be in a state of mega guilt.

5. ZapBranny Forum Member

I'm not saying its right. Its just likely the way the court will look at it. They will say that he is experienced at seeing people in pain and dealing with trauma, and with his medical knowledge he may have been able to save his life.

I'm not sure but I don't think he would be able to practice medicine in this country again due to the hippocratic oath. There is somehing about an obligation to help fellow man etc.

I'm not suprised you haven't called him, I really wouldn't know what to say. Its not like you could be angry with him because at the same time nothing you can say will make him feel any worse, but I'm not sure I'd be able to be very sympathetic to him either. Still your mate though.

I don't know how you would ever get something like that out of your mind.

6. Rahul Forum Junkie

[:s]

i don't think his intent was to kill anyone though! [:s]

7. pictonroad Forum Member

I dont know if he has driven drunk before, certainly not around any of us but as we live far apart I cant answer, would be unfair to guess.

I think the thinking about the career abroad think is just the kind of stuff most of us would end up thinking about. You would just run over and over in your mind how every little aspect of your life has changed.

Maybe he has gone cold? I dont know, I cant jusdge because I dont know how I would deal with it. I suppose you have to find a way to cope?
    Edited by: pictonroad

8. jprocter Forum Member

My view on this mate is that if you plan to go driving when drunk you do have the intent.

9. Mk2_Ozz Forum Member

Did anyone see that program on hit and run drivers last night?? Was quite shocking, and they weren't even drunk drivers. Girl got away with a driving ban and an 83 quid fine after killing someone and leaving the scene.

I was just thinking, how did the police prove that he was drunk when he was driving? Surely if they breathalysed him in the morning he might have had some drinks when he got home?? Just a point I was wondering about, not trying to defend the actions at all, just wanted to know how these things work, I never drink and drive.

10. S1MMA Forum Member

You're right, if he hadnt have drunk, he may have gone through the exact same sequence of events and the same accident could have happened (hypothetically). But, my point is, if he had a car crash with the victim not wearing a seatbelt who died at the scene, like the above case, but he was completely sober and following the speed limit etc... (driving legally) he probably wouldnt have fled the scene, been arrested, lost his job/ messed up his life etc... its the fact that he was above the limit that has done the damage to his career/life. Of coarse living with the fact that someone died in an accident you were involved in is no small problem, but the whole situation would be different if he wasnt over the limit.

I was just illustrating that he is in more trouble mainly because he was over the limit. Yes you can still be prosecuted for many offences if you cause an accident (due care/attention, wreckless/careless driving etc... etc...) but they probably wont cause you to get struck off the GMC list of doctors and put you in jail, etc...

Damn shame, but not excusable.

11. Tuff Schmitt Forum Junkie

Not being funny now, but maybe the other person was drink-driving too?
    Late, no seat-belt on etc...

12. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Some people never wear seatbelts though, I know I don't.

13. Tuff Schmitt Forum Junkie

I didn't when I was going through a depressive episode, now I do all the time..
    True though. There's so many angles to a story like this.
    The guy could have been doing a getaway after robbing a house etc, and got hit.

You really don't know.

14. Steve B Forum Junkie

well i saw on the news about 2 days ago

about a girl who had no tax mot or insurance, ran over someone killed them and drove off because she knew she was in trouble, eventually gave her self up hours later but it was too late to save the guy

she got banned from driving for 2 years and fined 84

that was it

i mean what the feck!!

i dunno how much more seriouse somethin becomes when drink is involved but the law in this country is so f**ked up sometimes

15. mincecfc2 Forum Member

Resurrected thread.

Does anyone know what the outcome of this was?

16. Joe16v Forum Member

Hopefully he is in Jail. I personally think people who kill while drink drivng should be done for murder. They know when they get in the car that something bad could happen.

He may of been young and had a fiancee, but the 20 year old is dead, who is worse off?

Bit late to say this but it just urinees me off

17. Yorkie Forum Member

I won't make out like I'm some expert, or know it all like some have on this thread. So all I'll say is this....

Drinking and driving can, and (in this case) does kill. Please if anyone on here thinks about it, or does it (you know who you are). Then use this as an example as a good reason why drinking and driving DO NOT MIX. Don't be pushed into driving by your mates. Please either walk or get a taxi home.

Please bear this in mind when making plans as we approcah Christmas. We want to be talking to you next year, instead of talking about you.

Cheers

Jamie

18. 8VTORQUE New Member

FEEL FOR U MATE HIM BEING A GOOD FREIND OF YOURS ! MY BRO AT THE AGE OF 17 TOOK OUT THE FAMILY PANDA AFTER A NITE OUT ON A PROVISIONAL AND GOT DONE FOR D&D AND BANNED FOR A YR AND HUGE INSURANCE PRMIUMS ! THANK GOD HE DIDNT HURT ANYONE BUT I WAS DEVISTAED JUST AT THAT , TWO SETS OF FAILLIES LIVES HAVE BEEN COMPLETELY SCREWED UP , THAT NOTHING YOU CAN DO , THE SAYING YOU LIVE AND LEARN IS B*LLSH*T , WHAT HAS ANYONE LEARNT FROM THE DEATH ON AN COMPLETE INOCENT INDIVIDUAL ! I FEEL FOR YOU AND ALL CONCERNED ESPECIALLY THE FAMILY OF THE YOUNG FELLA .

19. HAMI Forum Member

He was sentenced to 6 years at coventry in sept, he killed someone after smashing into the back of a citroen picasso, left the driver crippled for life also. It was hughes birthday and he went on a drinking binge (in his merc) after a friday night game at albion against reading, he now serves in solitary because of all the villa, wolves and birmingham fans in there want to beat him to a pulp. I'm an albion fan, and for his football i love him to bits but all i can say is to have all that and throw it away is possibly the most stupid thing he could ever do.

The only thing of the whole Hughes situation i dont agree with is that at first the family of the man who was killed said "we dont care who this man is all we care is that our loved one has died" and after they found out he was a premiership footballer and what he was worth they decided to sue him, which i think is still going through the courts. which i personally dont agree with. but i still can't condone hughesie's actions no matter what.

regards all.

20. Imran Forum Member

sorry but did i read this exact thread months ago??? or even post on some ohtet forum?? is it really ur friend or u jus posting it up to make people think!