My Mk1 restoration.

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Carbs4ever, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Carbs4ever Forum Member

Ok update time!

Before head cloth went in I gave the car a wash with a nice new wool mit and some suds – hadn’t really seen how shiney the paint was before due to all the dust etc – I also cleaned all the window shuts with thinners to take off any polish or dirt so the head cloth would stick.
    [​IMG]

Head cloth wasn’t too bad to fit in the end… I put dynaliner on the inner roof skin which is a great sound deadner and I suppose its like that sticky back foamy draft excluder you get around windows only in a metre wide roll – it is great stuff and the roof has a nice ‘dead’ sound to it!

Anyhow headliner hung in place..

[​IMG]

Then we got it level each side and started trimming and sticking – bull dog clips are a great way of holding it in place to let the glue dry..

[​IMG]

Then a pic of the finished job – pleased with how it came out and a big shout to Alec Thompson at vwturbo.co.uk who supplied the head cloth and new A pillar sections.

[​IMG]

Got the carbs and manifold mounted

But had some issues with the mangoletsi linkage – basically it was bad – so I dismantled it and flatted off the moving surfaces as they were all angular and then shimmed them up with washers – now it works like it should – also the attachments for the spindles which mangoletsi supplied were useless as they moved on the spindle before the butterfly opened – so they were binned and I got some of the proper Lotus ones from Eurocarb – it pays to have the right stuff to start with…

The Rowland manifold required some modification too – had to remove the middle brace to allow the linkage to work and also hone out the inlet radius to fit the 45’s – again was good to tackle it and I have it all matched up so there’s no steps.

[​IMG]

spent a little time on the trumpets – they were machined from billet so were a rough spun finish – they had oxidised quite badly just sitting in the box – so I made a wee thing to spin them in the drill and gave them a go with some 600 grit.
    After the 600 grit – hazy finish but must of the spun marks are gone..
    [​IMG]

Then I buffed them to within an inch of their life!

[​IMG]

Trumpets mounted up!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was time to get the fuel plumbing finished – cut a little bracket from sheet stainless and of course polished it!! Then mounted it off the strut tower to save drilling the inner wing.

Couldn’t mount the linkage on the left carb and have the linkage working in the centre and the swan neck water outlet for the head wouldn’t allow this as it exits straight to stop the water pipe hitting the carb – lots of issues to overcome but all in a days work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alternator bracket was remade in stainless and lengthened by an inch to allow the carbs to clear and shorter belt to fit.

Made a little stainless box for the ECU to keep it right in the scuttle tray too

[​IMG]

wiring in rear lights and engine is next up along with making a template of a radiator and lots of other stuff…

Sorry for the words but if it helps someone then its worth writing.

2. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Stunning as always. Glad i just logged on at work to catch the thread! :thumbup:

3. fthaimike Forum Addict

OMG!!! how sexy does all that look now [:D]

4. jaswan Forum Member

stunning!!

Jason.

5. Admin Guest

i still think this is most likely the best ever mk1.....

attention to detail is beyond belief!

6. vrbanana Forum Junkie

God Im glad I grew out of the polishing stage :lol: :lol: :lol:

looking very good mate:clap:

7. Jonny777 Forum Member

The only way to describe that is stunning!

And im with Jon, definately shaping up to be the best Mk1 ever!

8. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

It's getting betterer and betterer!! Gurt Lush.

9. alcamistdvd Forum Member

mate, that car is absolutely stunning.
    cannot believe the detail and the work that has gone into it. i would not have the patience.
    i have now subscribed and will definitely be watching this thread.

good work fella:clap:

al

10. vw_stu Forum Member

so when are we going to see it at the shows then?

11. Carbs4ever Forum Member

cheers all!

getting a radiator made for it at the moment - its not too far away now... probably will take this winter giving it the finishing touches... ready to run in next year. Weather has been rubbish here this summer anyway....

more updates soon.

12. MK3_GPP Forum Member

Looks fantastic, love the whole attention to detail. Its like seeing a brand new car being built. Every bit so far is superb and really looking forward to seeing it finished and in the vw mags. :clap: :thumbup:

13. sami spydr New Member

wow!!!

iv just read the first page only of this thread! man you are a genius, a hero, a seven day wonder, an inspiration, and basically iv about wet myself! the jig is so good, i must make one over crimbo!!! can i get away with welding box with my mig though? saving the other eleven pages till i have time but im looking forward to them! im dying to get my shell stripped down now and underneath the beast. FANTASTIC!!!:p

14. POL

pol Forum Member

bloody crackin. look forward to seeing it at a show. hopefully walk round it and appreciate the effort while slurping some cold beer/ice cream!

15. Mushroom Forum Member

Any update Mr Carbs4ever? Looking forward to seeing this bad boy up and running :)

16. AndyCEB Forum Junkie

Its been awhile since ive visited this thread - Omg! I think you must have built one of the most complete and tastefully modified mk1s ever! :o

I think im in awe and jellous in equal amounts! :lol: keep the pictures coming! [:D]

17. Carbs4ever Forum Member

thank you again for kind words!

pics soon!

Well - radiator is made and fits poyfect!

At wiring currently - (excuse the pun) extended my headlight loom to pass it through front cross beam and im renewing other wiring, cleaning wiring, re-sleeving wiring, renewing terminals etc etc - soldering etc! good fun but slow work...

Have everything now to complete the car! Wife even got me new steering wheel for Christmas!

Fitting the big jetex exhaust will be next headache no doubt.... jacked car up with my new super dooper long reach jack (pics to come - it lifts like 2.5 ft!!!) to see what sort of clearance there is over the rearbeam - looks like the 2.5" pipes will clear without knocking on axle may need to add an additional mount or maybe notch the axle a little...

progress pics soon!

18. gillm

gillm ***** User

use some heat proof rubber mate i had to do that on my old ibiza coz it was too low . worked a treat

19. gorilly Forum Member

well done mate, still amazing posts get better every time, keep up the good work!

20. davew Forum Member

This just keeps getting better and better!