My Mk1 restoration.

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Carbs4ever, Jan 19, 2005.

1. prof Forum Addict

i'm not sure if stainless bolts will be man enough for suspension parts, might be worth asking Daved

2. Carbs4ever Forum Member

You want to see what was supplied with the ball joints lol - the softest bolts i have ever seen - threads were like chocolate - these are are a vast improvement...

3. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

I recognise that view with the filters, reminds me of mine (though not so much all the polished items in there!) Nice job too with the stainless braid and blue fittings. Smart. :thumbup:

What radiator are you using? Looks like a custom job unless it's just a standard part polished up! ;)

The Zeitronix looks like an interesting bit of kit!

4. Carbs4ever Forum Member

Thanks - yes radiator is custom built one - i sent the guy a pattern front panel and he made the rad to sit well out of the way of the carbs.

5. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Ideal. Was it pricey, the custom radiator?

6. jonnycab New Member

awesome job as usual Carbs, they look really well!

7. Carbs4ever Forum Member

Cheers Jonny.

Re the radiator yea it was expensive enough compared to normal radiator - but then you get what you pay for and it solves a problem - so worth the money in my opinion.

8. H8SV8S Forum Member

Great to see you still developing the car, even though it's 'finished'!!! :p Looking awesome!!

9. GAZ4149

GAZ4149 New Member

Oh My Days!

You sir are a revelation!! a guiding light in our pipe dreams! loved the build, just found the thread and havnt moved until it was all read! fantastic, you need some sort of medal or place in the ClubGTI hall of fame if there is one. i will be sure to plug this thread!

Whens the next project?! or has the mrs band you from the shed...

:clap:
    there should be a 'bowing' smiley face

Thanks for putting it up man!

10. Carbs4ever Forum Member

Thanks very much [:$]! No more projects - though still tinkering at the car - fitting a wee digital speedo at the moment... and passenger side drive shaft splines are done so sorting that out too at the moment... always something to do - still need to change the idles in the carbs... and sort the boot lid solenoid etc etc lol

11. Carbs4ever Forum Member

Got the drive shaft sorted in July - shaft was a reconditioned one but was just a bad shaft to start with so even thought it was bought five or six years ago AC Components took it back and got me another which was really good of them!

Got a couple more trophies last summer and have been enjoying driving it :) it is loosening up well and is very torquey!

Little pic taken by photographer at the last show back in the summer:
    [​IMG]

On the speedometer issue:
    With a combination of different engine, different gearbox and original 1.3 driver clocks and despite trying all the drive cogs on the cable the speedo still read too fast.

So fitted a GPS speedometer from http://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/ds100-gps-micro-speedometer-259-p.asp

Just mounted this on the dash and it is very easy to read and only needed a live and an earth! original speedo was over 10mph out - this records miles and max speed! and is very accurate! great job!

[​IMG]

And a general dash completed pic - also mounted the fuel toggle switch on the lower right of the dash and it is illuminated until switched on and is one of the covered ones!

[​IMG]

Next up is some form of front anti roll bar - not sure i can run the normal one due to exhaust diameter and four branch etc... have a few ideas

Will update as i make progress!

12. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Good to see you still enjoying the car and making minor improvements. Still one of my all time favourite build threads. :thumbup:

13. strimmer Forum Member

Terrific to see commitment to quality detail and perfection in every aspect of the car.
    Read with avid interest from beginning to end, congratulations on a superb car.

14. Carbs4ever Forum Member

SORN'd till next spring but had a good few miles this year and nice to pick up a prize at the castlewellan show... Seems ages since the sun was shining...

[​IMG]

15. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wow, that engine bay is far to clean, you sure you've driven it? :p

I love it though, it's gorgeous. Well done!

Any plans for the winter?

16. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Wow thread revival ! Nice to see this is still around and looking immaculate as ever ! :thumbup:

17. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Stunning looking MK1 !