My Mk1 restoration.

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Carbs4ever, Jan 19, 2005.

1. mk1tt16v Forum Member

cant wait to see some pics of it finished.fantastic job done there mate

2. AndyRhino

AndyRhino Forum Junkie

this is awesome, i love the attention to detail all over, it really is a credit and a proper worthy car thats actually had time and effort put into it properly. even down to cleaning the seatbelts properly. i just love it. keep up the good work and i hope u get much driving enjoyment out of it when uv finished. :thumbup:

3. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

I'll let you off having this car 'detailed' as it's a mk1!

Looks great :thumbup:

4. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

What did you use to refurb the bumper? Linseed oil? Spray?

With the picture of the underlay, how much did it cost you and what size did you order? I can't find it on the website and I hate not knowing prices ;-(

5. jamesa Forum Junkie

..... second that :thumbup:

6. Carbs4ever Forum Member

well i had to get it properly buffed etc as the holograms were all over the place in the sunshine - tried buffing my black mk2 once and put more holograms in it!!! so best leave some jobs to the pro's...

re the underlay - its on the site under carpet underlay... cannot remember what price it was - just ring up for quote..

re the bumper - the bumper skin (the plastic part) is new from vw and the bumper bar is refurbed - complete bumper is over 150 whereas skin is like 60....

7. H8SV8S Forum Member

More pics!!!!!

8. VWJ1M Forum Member

Any more pics? I have followed this from the start and would love to see the final item.

A real inspiration!

9. Carbs4ever Forum Member

yes will be completing the thread soon with lots of pics outdoors....

thanks for all the encouragement along the way!

10. MK2Bison New Member

This is pure beauty, Just read the entire thread on my tacho break.:clap: :clap:

11. Carbs4ever Forum Member

Well I have finally finished the project! About time too says you!

I have added some more restoration pictures to page 1 that I uncovered recently.

But here are some finished pictures taken after the MOT! Yes it’s MOT’d!!!!!!!!!

MOT went well and the guys were interested in car and everything seemed to get a thumbs up which was nice!

A little update:

Had to give the hubs a little tighten with the new bearings bedding in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also pic of the jetex system in place – took a while fitting as I wanted it 100% - got it welded to the Storm Developments four branch link pipe in order to cut out too many clamped joins.

Heat shielding on tank is Reflectashield from Agriemach – I works very well and the sticky back is very strong – this is installed along full length of tunnel too – keeps car cool inside and fuel cool.

[​IMG]

Callipers done with gold paint to stop yellow plating perishing and looking ruff - Front hubs just got some black paint – nothing too fancy as it rubs off when wheel is fitted anyway…

[​IMG]

General underneath engine shot –

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then some tuning for MOT to get the Co right with the Gunson Gas tester and the carbs balanced – got a Carbtune four column manometer – steel columns inside glass tubes which move up and down on vacuum – very easy to use
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Was happy with the polishing/buffing that was done last year by detailni.co.uk
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And in no particular order – just some finishing pictures….

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the shade
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interior – still a few bits to finish inside round dash etc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Engine bay completed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And for those running carbs and looking for alternative radiator designs – this is what I got made up – it doesn’t block air flow to the carbs and cools very well considering its narrow width – it is quite deep though and twin core. Slim line fan is also good performer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jetex tail pipe is very discreet – and the overall sound is good – not booming just a nice note up the gears and is easy on the ears holding a steady cruise speed. Which is great considering its 2.5” diameter
    [​IMG]

Wheels are 14x7 RSL’s running 195/45/14 Conti contact sport – great on the road and Konigsports are on softest setting – no diving in corners etc handles well and still can harden dampening if needs be.
    [​IMG]

Wheels are good offset with no buffing and no poke – site nice and flush with the arches
    [​IMG]

So there you have it!
    [​IMG]

The shed closes on a project that took a bit longer than planned – but best advice I can give is – only work on a project when you want to – not when you have to…. It’s more fun!

Thanks for all the encouragement and hope the thread has helped someone pick products or get a job done easier.

I have only 72 miles on the car at the moment so generally just cruising around getting it loosened up – haven’t stopped smiling yet either….

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Very, very good indeed :thumbup:

Stunning craftsmanship - and the tidy garage at the end says everything: the work is now done :clap:

13. MK1G20VT Forum Member

This is my kinda build!! Top quality...the way it should be done, this car will last for another 20yrs.

14. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Absolutly stunning, don't think I could bring myself to use it though, wouldn't want to get a spec of dirt on it!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  15. pRot3us Forum Junkie

Finally!! ;)

A fantastic build, absolutely no corners cut :thumbup:

16. Admin Guest

glad to see you got it done and are more than happy with it, such a fantastic car!

17. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Drrribbbble!

18. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

wow just wow! even your garage is amazing! so clean! lol

19. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Stunning.:clap:

20. smp1987 Forum Member

stunning Mk1:thumbup:

Naw all you need to do it put it away so it stays like that for the rest of time:lol:

nice job bet you love it