my s3 mk2 20vt project, oem managment, mk4 dash etc

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by timbutjack, Jun 17, 2007.

1. timbutjack Forum Member

hello people, im posting this up on another forum so i thought id post it here as well...

i have to do a project as part of my course at college and ive decided to 20vt my mk2.

its a driver at the moment so it will be slightly more work than if it was a gti but it probably works out better for the project (more work = more to write about in the final writeup ect) i was originally going to do a 16 2.0 on carbs but i wanted more power and the 20vt has the best power for money ratio.

quick history of the car up to now...

bought the car back in Janurary 06 and it looked like this

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the first thing i did was sort the interior out, installed electric windows, alarm, central locking etc. now got full rainbow interior

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

red led dash lights...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dished US spec passat vr6 wheel B) one of my favourite additions, the perfect oem+ wheel imo

[​IMG]

then i had a crash in november, it was the coldest night of the year at the time and i skidded on ice and went straight up a mahosive curb and into a field :blink: live and learn though ehh.

i decided to rebuild the car, new front end, steering rack, bent rear axel, wishbones etc

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bent steering rack

[​IMG]

while i did the rear axel i thought it would be rude not to convert to discs

[​IMG]

had to replace the axel bushes which was a **** of a job, only managed to get them in this much before the puller broke

[​IMG]

then made up a new stronger puller to finish the job [:D]

[​IMG]

new disc setup B)

[​IMG]

finally finished the rebuild with temporary borbets

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  2. timbutjack Forum Member

next was the boot install...

i made up a false floor and two false walls, i started with this but when i strip it down ill sound deaded the whole car B)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the carpet round the edge of the slam panel needs re-doing because the glue came through the carpet but im happy with the rest

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i finally sourced some more wheels from german ebay and won them for 68p (1euro) ^_^

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

anyone notice there not ats cups? :p they will be colour coded and diamond cut eventually

got some budget coileys as a temperary fix to get it low

[​IMG]

got the rears on, just need to get the fronts done

and now these bad boys are for sale, anyone?

[​IMG]

im not actually going to be doing the convo till september when the academic year starts, but ill be collecting parts and preping it till then

the plan for the interior eventually is

black leather tt front seats, red harnesses
    no rear seats, false floor, half cage
    tt dash, climate control setup etc.
    flock everything, a, b, c, pillars

stuff i need to collect

225 setup, turbo, manifolds, ecu, loom, clocks and keys etc APX, BAM
    decode
    mk3 16v cable change box
    passat or mk3 hydrallic clutch pedal and hydrallic pipes etc
    g60's up front 22mm m/c
    qpe downpipe/modified standard audi downpipe
    custom zorst
    gti fuel pump
    powersteering setup
    g60 flywheel
    mk4 golf non aircon fanbelt if i deside against the air con setup
    boost pipes
    MAF SENSOR (depending on using standard management or emerald/qpe etc)

other odd bits and bobs along the way

thats all for now...

watch this space ;)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  3. timbutjack Forum Member

got the front coileys on today ^_^ i put them on with the helper springs first but they were still too high so i took them out and now its too low lol, no chance in getting off my driveway

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i need to raise the front and lower the back a bit, also getting 20mm spacers all round so i think the arches will need rolling soon

4. timbutjack Forum Member

got the wheels back from the furbers, well happy with them. i was going to wait and get some stretched tyres but i just want to get them on the car tbh, may go to get some tyres fitted tomorow.

you can get an idea from these but wont properly tell until tyres are on and its dropped a bit more

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

also got a mk4 dash to put in or try to at least lol, just labeling up the loom so when im ready i can plug and play

5. m47k Forum Member

looks tidy, but im not sure on the rims with that yellow lip
    and why does a corse at cologe need you to do a car

6. stevegtx Forum Member

think the yellow lip is for protection till tyres on aint it! i think they look good different from the black and ats cups r sweet wheels

7. luminosa Forum Member

LOL..... dont call them ATS as he hates it they're MIM cups i think[:s] sry m8:lol:

i think you should keep the yellow bead on the rims, and get some white wall tyres would finish the look off eh???:lol: ;)

btw th college does not require you to do a vehicle/practical based project its down to choice, wether you're able to fund a project or not..... there are alternatives to this either an engine/component rebuild or even a college project which is free:p

8. timbutjack Forum Member

[:x] [:x] :p

yeah i could build a mid engined rs4 powered mk2 if i wanted, or had the money and knowledge :lol:

9. golfjunky

golfjunky Forum Member

where did you get the wheels done mate? and how much did they cost?

great build this

10. Matt G Forum Member

i got the us spec wheel too, absolute bargain and looks mint. cost sod all ad direct replacement.

the yella bits do look dodgy like.

Did you consider doing a vr swap? similar power and i think the parts would be cheaper(?).

11. luminosa Forum Member

HA HA....:lol: he's not having any of that mate, he's set on the 20v T and that that[:x] but if he wants to go on and squeeze some more horses from the engin afterwards the 20v T is the easier and less costly engin to do so. where as if you went down the VR route and wanted to get more from it you'll have to add a turbo/super charger to get what you want power wise. i haven't seen too many VR's (N/A) doing 1/4 miles in under 14 seconds.

12. MUSH Forum Member

totally. 20v power is undeniably the best power for pound way to go.....:)

13. timbutjack Forum Member

bjv engineering...very happy with the finish and there uber cheap, free collection and delivery as well if you're in a 40mile radius of them :)

somthing like 34.50 a wheel, which is half the price of some places i asked ;)

14. timbutjack Forum Member

yeah i got it off us ebay for a stupid price like 30 posted :p

the yellow is just tape to protect the rim :lol:

yeah i vr would be nice but as said only really worth it if you have money to go further and super/turbo charge it.

i do love the sound though so that may be the next project, think id go for a supercharger to add to the sound [8D]

it runs out of tax and insurance next week so ill strip it down to the shell over summer and get some body work done, windscreen needs to come out for some rust to be sorted on the scuttle and ill get the back smoothed off as well

Last edited: Jun 23, 2007
  15. MUSH Forum Member

Dont wana pish on your bonfire but i think that vr us spec wheel looks horrid. I wanted a good oem wheel as im not a fan of the aftermarkets ones. I got a corrado storm without airbag, is mint and leather trimmed. similar to the polo g40 wheels.

Each to their own like.....:p

16. timbutjack Forum Member

lol its not staying, i do like it but when i have power steering im going for a 280mm momo

17. dubvrs Forum Member

I have a 280mm with out power steering and have no problems.

18. timbutjack Forum Member

tyres on :p

at ace cafe a couple of weeks ago

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

in the last couple of days ive stipped it nearly to a bare shell, engines ready to go just need to disconnect the driveshafts and the box

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

trial fit of mk4 dash

[​IMG]

19. bertelli_1 Forum Member

Good work! Thats what I call 'stripped'!

20. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

Looks good, wish I had the time and the money to do soemthing like that!!! Mayebv one day!

Just a quick one... how did you do your red dash lights... I want some for my MK2?