my s3 mk2 20vt project, oem managment, mk4 dash etc

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by timbutjack, Jun 17, 2007.

1. nayhorn Forum Member

comin on nice, cant wait to see it finished!
    were the budget coileys and good?

2. Kav1187 Forum Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I've reached the last page! [:^(]

Mate, you've left me speechless. I'm really impressed with what you're doing here. I've just bought myself a mk2 as a second (read project) car and am considering doing most of the stuff you're doing to yours.

The only problem for me is the space to do it.

You've inspired me to go ahead with my engine/dash conversion. :clap:

Quick question regarding the wiring loom....is that the loom from the whole car or just the engine bay/dash? If I get the TT engine/dash, I'd like all the TT buttons and clocks to work, is that what it's getting sent of to have done? If so, where have you sent them off?

Thanks,
    Kav

3. benthejettaman Forum Member

any updates on this car have been following it
    also interested about wot kav has asked about the wiring is some 1 modding it for u to suit the mk2 if so is it just the the clocks and engine loom
    also who is modding it for u

4. timbutjack Forum Member

the wiring has been sent off to a guy on the edition38 forum. it is just the engine and dash loom, the mk2 light looms are being tapped into it along with the fuel pump loom etc.

he's taking out the airbag wiring and all the other unnessersary wiring that wont be used.

ive asked him to leave in the abs wiring incase i want to add it later on and also the climate control wiring as ill have that too...

you'll have to wait for me to get the wiring back and in for me to tell you more about it, dont really know much about it myself lol, ill try and run some of the engine loom and the headlight loom through the chassis legs.

5. timbutjack Forum Member

just found this picture on no-rice from before i owned it! think it was back in 05

[​IMG]

spose i should update this while im here lol, to be honest i havnt done much work, anyway the car is in college now so i dont have to work in the cold anymore :p

first thing i did was to install a 16v fuel system, i just swapped the whole lot over, so removed the tank and cleaned out all the mud behind it (dunno how it gets there, routed the fuel lines though the chassis leg and to the pump, im just waiting to underseal the whole car before the tank goes back in.

i also started on the shifter, used the plasma cutter to cut the old mount out, and drilled two holes for the studs to go through (basically just copied 'sc0rion') lol

i decided to remove the upper bulkhead so i got the plasma cutter out and took the main part off, it was a bit harder to get it off round the edges where there was no access for a grinder so i ended up using a drift and a hammer, seemed to work ok

[​IMG]

then had to get it out in the corners, using a large hammer [:D]

[​IMG]

all out

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i wanted to put back any strength that may have been lost so this had to be done

[​IMG]

so next jobs are to weld and filler the bulkhead and underseal the car, then i can paint the bay and start with some proper work.

yesterday i got some new wishbones and poly bushed them

[​IMG]

and i picked these up this evening, at a complete bargain.. brand new wings all holes smoothed and arches rolled for 30 thanks to '8vpower' on here

[​IMG]

this is the workshop, its so nice to have a ramp, makes everything much easier

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the other mk2 is my mates, hes entering the mk2 race seris next year, he picked that up pretty cheap and raped it of all the good parts, then the shell is getting crushed :p not only because the paint is complete poop but also because of this

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hes got a new tornado red shell waiting to be rebuilt with the bits from the other car

6. timbutjack Forum Member

quick update guys

got some more work done in the last week, managed to get the bay in a final coat of primer, just needs a few small holes filling in, also got the car undersealed, just have to do in the rear arches. i also cut the old bracket for the shifter out so i can mount the mk4 one, its a seriously tight fit but it will go in just..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mounted the gti fuel pump

[​IMG]

when i took the tank out it has uncovered some more rust, the bracket to hold the filler neck up isnt there anymore :lol: so im going to cut all the rust out and seal it up. im going to use a mk3 tank anyway so its not a massive problem.

next week i should have the bay done, then all i need to do is mount the subframe, and it will look alot more complete (hopefully) the subframe is being built up before with all the engine mounts, hubs, steering rack etc already mounted so after that i can start thinking about getting the engine in!

ok, so im running oem management and the thottle body is drive by wire so i thought the best thing s to just mount the s3 throttle as well. i made up an L shape bracket with 3mm mild steel, drilled the locating holes to bolt the throttle to. then offered it up to the pedal box (passat hydro), clamped it on temperarily to line it up with the other pedals then mig welded it around the edges. to hold the pedal on i welded some bolts to the bracket, this makes it alot easier if i ever need the change it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

just need to paint it now [:D]

7. Kav1187 Forum Member

Looking good mate. Do the Passat pedals fit straight into the Mk2 or will you need to sort out a bracket for them as well? Which master cylinder will you be using? Try and take some pics when you wire up the clutch pedal to the MC/clutch because I'm not sure how to go about doing this.

Do you reckon a mk4 fuel tank will fit the mk2? I've managed to get the engine with a cable throttle body so luckily won't need to do any welding but may need to fabricate a bracket for the pedal box.

8. timbutjack Forum Member

^^^ lol i wish they galvanised mk2's!

kav, yeah the passat pedals bolt up ok, but you need to drill a hole in the bulkhead for the clutch slave cylinder, so it can connect to the pedal. ill get a load of pics up when i do it...

i dont think a mk4 tank would fit into a mk2, buy apparently a mk3 one will (straight swap) and a mk4 pump would fit into a mk3 tank. this car will be a mix of loads of different vag cars when finished. maybe should have just bought a tt in the first place :lol:

9. timbutjack Forum Member

got a bit of painting done earlier

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

gave the servo another coat in different paint as it was too shiny before, and also painted the front crossmember. might do the slam panel next..

[​IMG]

the subframes coming along nicely, got some g60 shafts the other day, just need to mount the steering rack, and im going to put an arb on when its on the car as im waiting for an eibach or h&r

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

im looking into adding ABS as well now, shouldnt be too hard as all the wiring is there anyway, dont think this project will ever be 'finished' lol

also i need to work out how to mate the mk4 steering column to the mk2 rack, hmmm anyone know?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  10. Kav1187 Forum Member

:lol: I like the mk2 shape though :lol: It's not my main car so I've got all the time in the world to do it (Read: until the summer when I plan to drive it across Europe [:D] )

Which Passat is the pedal box from? Also what MC/slave are you using? I've got no probs with drilling holes or cutting things [}:)] ...it's just welding I can't do. Add ABS to yours then I can add it to mine once I've seen how it's done [:D]

Are there any advantages to using the Mk3 fuel tank? The only thing I'm worried about is whether the fuel gauge on the Mk4 clocks will work?

What are you painting the parts with? Hammerite or something better? It looks like quite a smooth finish.

Regarding the steering column, what exactly doesn't fit together? Is the UJ a different size to the rack? If so, can you not just chop the end bit of the pivot and weld the end of the mk2 one on?

This guy somehow managed to mix the two but he said it was a pain in the butt:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=808137

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  11. Jonny777 Forum Member

Looking awesome. [8D]

12. Mk2gti8v Forum Member

i enjoyed reading the thread mate, good work so far. whos garage is that your using? or is it the college garage?

13. Carl Bear New Member

Nice build mate, look forward to more updates.

14. timbutjack Forum Member

thanks ppl

carl bear - was it you who made a CAD drawing of a mk2?

15. Carl Bear New Member

yeah i started modelin a mk2 yeah, used Maya to do the modelin. used drawn blueprints, so dimensions maybe off, and its not an accurate model anyway. still need to finish it off, and some of the pics u have taken during ure build will come in very handy, especially the engine bay pics.

16. timbutjack Forum Member

it looks awsome in your sig! looks pretty damn acurate as well [8D]

17. timbutjack Forum Member

the passat pedal box is from all manual passats/corrados the same age as mk2's, so years 87-92, mine was from a corrado but its probably cheaper to get it from a passat.

at the moment im going to use the slave cylinder from the corrado and the m/c if it will fit the 02J box, if it doesnt fit the box, ill have to pipe the 02J m/c to the corrado slave cylinder (hope that makes sense lol)

the mk4 pump/mk3 tank setup should make the gauge read fine. people who use the mk2 tank and pump found that the gauge reads backwards. the best solution is to use a mk3 tank and mk4 pump and it reads like it should..

yeah im just using hamerite, i would like to get everything powdercoated but havnt got time at the moment, ill probably get it done another time.

thanks for that link ill give it a proper read sometime!

yeah the spline on the mk4 UJ is different on the mk2 one. the knuckle is the same size on both and looks like they would fit but i dont know how to split them. i guess you could cut and shut the two ends together, not sure i would trust my welding to hold the steering together though lol

ill let you know when i find a solution as the skoda one will be the same :)

18. Edds_mk2_16v Forum Member

There should be circlips that holds the shafts in place, remove them, it should then split in two [:s]

Do the same to the mk4 see if the 2 halfs go together. [:D]

That is if we are talking about the same part! [:$]

19. Kav1187 Forum Member

Hi mate...any updates? I'm about to start ripping mine apart.

I'm stuck at the flywheel/clutch assembly part. I'd like to get them together before they go in the car. I'll post my progress in my own thread.

How did you make the dash stay in the car? Do I have to get the metal bar that it screws into? I haven't got a welder so if it means making my own brackets I'm stuck lol.

Ooh this is going to be fun. The haynes manuals need more pics...they just don't make much sense to me till after I've done the job :lol:

20. timbutjack Forum Member

i need to do the flywheel and clutch tomorrow! im going to make it up as i go along lol

yeah id say the best way to get the dash to fit is too get the bar that goes behind it, i think the best way to fit that would be to weld it, so you might have to borrow a welder and someone too do it for you like i did, i cant weld properly myself lol