my s3 mk2 20vt project, oem managment, mk4 dash etc

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by timbutjack, Jun 17, 2007.

1. timbutjack Forum Member

havnt really got an update but i found out how to get the steering column to work

you need a late mk3 rack, this has the same spline as the mk4 column and will fit on the mk2 subframe (straight swap)

ive now got all the stuff to build the engine up ready to go in so ill be doing that in the next few days.

my filler neck bracket had rusted quite badly so for now ive just cut it all out and sealed it up with por 15

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

did some more filling on the bay, its now in paint but i havnt got any pics..

[​IMG]

and tonight i went to pick some new wheels up from 'nick' on here

their 16" oz vega's which are very similar to bbs splits

i only have the rear dishs at the moment so im looking for some smaller ones for the fronts. their 5x112 so after apadtors they should be pretty wide, the rears should be 8.5 et 4 ish

anyway, pics!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  2. Kav1187 Forum Member

Damn they look smart! loving the wheels!

What are you going to do with the driveshafts? Are you keeping the driver ones or upgrading? I was thinking the G60 ones will be good but not sure if the corrado ones are a direct swap? They might be easier to source.

Have you checked the length of the mk4 steering column? The guy in the post I linked to said that it was a bit shorter than the mk2 one down to the first knuckle which might cause probs when it's mounted in the car.

3. timbutjack Forum Member

im going to use some g60 ones which fit both the gearbox and the hubs. not sure about the corrado ones, in theory they should work fine, they use the same hubs as mk2's i think and they have the same gearbox (02A) not sure if their longer, is the corrado 'track' wider?

oh yeh, sorry i forgot to say! apparently a passat or A4 UJ will fit on the mk4 column and the mk3 rack.

so the combo you need is

mk4 column
    passat/A4 uj i think their length adjustable
    late mk3 rack (maybe only vr6) they are 22 (ish) spline appose to 35 (ish) on the mk2

that should work so im going to give it ago, just need to source the parts lol

4. Kav1187 Forum Member

LOL! The parts list just gets more interesting every day!

Just gave the local parts place a ring and they don't seem to have the G60 on their system. Do you reckon the mk2 16v shafts will be upto it? Not sure if they're the same as the 8v ones though?

I'm not sure about the corrado track. Might just try and get the G60 driveshafts ordered in from Germany or something. I'm hoping they'll fit the mk3 GTI gearbox. Let me know if/where you get some. I'll wait till you've done the steering column first then I'll give it a go.

That's a good guinea pig ;)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  5. timbutjack Forum Member

haha, yeh i got some g60 shafts for 50 posted so there not too bad. they should fit the mk3 gearbox

they dont fit the mk4 one i have so i have to get mk3 flanges for the inner cv to bolt onto.

6. timbutjack Forum Member

few steering uj pics, for people that dont understand lol

this is the problem, the mk2 uj and the mk4 one has completely different splines

[​IMG]

i just need to work out how to get the mk4 uj seperated from the column, is it just pressed on??

[​IMG]

7. timbutjack Forum Member

got these earlier, the other pics didnt do them justice tbh

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Carl Bear New Member

like the wheels mate

9. Aphex Forum Junkie

Bet they were cheap :lol:

10. Kav1187 Forum Member

Looking at ETKA, the UJ and column come as one piece, whereas on the mk2 they are separate. [:s] I reckon they're pressed on as well...chances are that VW would rather make more by selling it all as one. There's only one way to find out though [}:)]

Those wheels are awesome! I see they're 5 stud wheels. What hubs are you using and will they fit into the mk2 wheel bearing?

11. Kav1187 Forum Member

Hello mate,

I've just taken one out of a bora and before I figured out you can undo the spline bolt from inside the car, I tried separating the UJ from the column. It is just pressed on so if you can wedge something in there, it'll just hammer out. I got mine half way before I figured out you can just undo the bolt at the bottom [:$]

12. H8SV8S Forum Member

Awesome.

13. BlueDub New Member

Wow looking good mate!

14. timbutjack Forum Member

thanks guys, H8SV8S, you're mk1 is amazing!

lol, thanks kav ill give it a go tomoz

15. H8SV8S Forum Member

Your Mk2 is amazing aswell [:D]

16. Kav1187 Forum Member

Hey bud, how's it going? I'm about to get to the point where I'm gonna start putting bits back on...just wondering if you managed to sort out the steering column? I looked into getting a mk3 rack but seems like the mk3's have a wider track.

Anyhoo...give us an update luv :lol:

17. timbutjack Forum Member

yo yo yo lol

yeh i sorted the steering on monday, i got a late mk3 rack (just the bare rack without tie rods) and put the mk2 tie rods on and it fits fine, the mk4 uj fits the spline so i just need to get a passat uj so it reaches properly and i need to mount the dash bar so i can bolt up the column..

did you manage to get the uj off the column, is it just pressed on? ;)

18. Kav1187 Forum Member

Nice one...I'll have to go get hold of a rack then. I trial fitted the dash bar in mine and think it may need a bit of chopping on either end to make it fit. Take lots of pics when you do yours. Are you fitting the heater matrix unit as well?

I gave up on hammering the spline/UJ :lol: I'll probably get back to it when I get the steering rack and fit the dash bar. Good to see that it's all moving along smoothly for you.:clap:

19. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Forum Member

awesome tim, ya project completely reminds me of mine lol.

really, top work.. looking forward to having a look at this at a show..

20. Kav1187 Forum Member

Hey mate...how's it going?

I've got me a steering rack out of a VR6 so gonna get that in as soon as I get over my man flu [xx(]

Have you got round to fitting the bar yet? I've been sent a couple of pics by a guy on ed38 on how it's supposed to be cut/mounted. It should be pretty easy to get it on once you figure out where you need to cut.

Any idea which Passat the UJ needs to come out of? My local scrappy hasn't got any so gonna have to keep my eyes peeled on fleabay.