Mystery Oil Pump...

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Zender Z20, Jan 15, 2024.

1. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Well, sort of... it was on the MK1 (1.8 DX) and have been giving it a tidy up.

Ran the VW number pictured below and can't find any exact match, ignoring the last four digits the closest is 068 115 105 (also a MK1/2/3 oil pump). The VW roundal is cast into it elsewhere so appears to be a genuine part.

Found a few convoluted links that have got me confused as they hint at it possibly being for a diesel engined Santana / B2 Passat?

Could it be an old school upgrade of sorts, the car's had some other similar mods done to it over the years so would be in character?

IMG20240114204410.jpg

2. daNpy Forum Member

There is more info on this forum, I found it here :)
    Apparently it's sub-casting numbers.

Zender Z20 likes this.
  3. Zender Z20

Cheers - What a read!

Surprised that didn't come up in my searches, but then my number's are different again to any listed in the thread.

Interesting that VW chose to give the upper / lower castings their own individual numbers then go on to give a different third one to identify which ever combination they were coupled together as... a recipe for confusion.

As if to reinforce the point, the bottom portion of my casting has a (completely) different number to all those quoted in the thread, but appearance wise it seems to be the same thing.

So, using the measurements instead then and ignoring all the numbers, it's looking like mine's a regular 8v (petrol) oil pump with the 30mm vanes and small opening... mystery solved, cheers.

4. Zender Z20

Between me trying to find out more on what was then an unidentified pump and reading the link daNpy posted (and repeated below) it got me looking a bit deeper into them.

https://www.clubgti.com/forums/inde...many-versions-faq-added-p2-updated-p4.197527/

Would recommend you taking the time to also read it through, it's a wealth of information.

I'm coming at things from a MK1 1.8 GTI perspective (soon to be a 1900), so for the moment I'm limiting my questions to the information discussed on those, but there's plenty of other pump related knowledge shared too.

It's a shame quite a few of the images are gone, that would probably have answered most, if not all, the questions I have.

Anyhow... have I understood correctly that 1Z diesel pumps can't be fitted to 8v petrol cars as the shaft is longer plus a different end (saying as they've not a dizzy)?

I've read elsewhere (Tim Stiles Haynes performance manual) and it's touched on in the last few pages of the linked to thread, that the 36mm pumps shouldn't be fitted to engines without oil squirters or else you'll get excess pressure?

As an aside he also mentions that they (presumably he means TSR) used the standard 1.8 8v, 30mm pump for all of their 1600, 1800 and 1900 conversions.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

iirc you can press the gear off the shaft? but theres no need,. you just fit a 2.0 8v dizzy it'll achieve the same thing. or just dont bother at all, the original pump is plenty good enough

6. Zender Z20

The gear is like you say pressed on, so presumably it can also be pressed off again if you'd the tools to do it.

Reason I was particularly interested in the 1Z Diesel pump was that I'd found a NOS VW one for sale at a fraction of the price of a current day copy, but it's looking like it's not compatible.

Definitely sticking with the 30mm, specially as there's a question mark over creating too much pressure and all for no real gain as the original's more than up to the job.

Coincidentally found a boxed pump in the loft that I thought I'd put into the MK2, a Pierburg, but clearly not.

I know at the time I was doing that car I was wavering whether or not to keep the VW original as it seemed better made (and was still in spec)... must've done, just forgot!

Anyhow gave me the chance to open up the Pierburg and in fairness it's actually very well machined / made.

All within the specs. so out of curiosity I even swopped about the gears to / from the VW one mentioned at the top of the thread and they were a perfect fit on each, so suggests it's made to the exact tolerances.

I'd now be happy enough fitting it, but have to mention the pick up first.

Thankfully that can easily be changed for the one off the VW pump, so not a deal breaker.

Look at the images below, the Pierburg's mesh is dramatically less fine than the VW original, bound to be less effective / lots more crap get through?

Another possible negative was the little hole in the pressure regulator cap, (should've taken a before pic.) but the bottom of the spring within was seated so as to be almost entirely covering it, I'd imagine it could've potentially restricted flow. It pushed out of the way and is as you can see clear now.

Would like to see one of the cheap pumps you can get on the likes of Autodoc, they're as low as £21 quid (a Ridex own brand) but can go up to £80+.

Can't help wonder if they're mostly the same thing, just branded differently, or are there really quality differences?

Another thing Tim Stiles mentioned was putting the gears back in as you took them out.

There's a little dimple on both gears that's maybe for that purpose?

Perhaps if you're taking apart a used one they maybe wear in relation to one another and upsetting that's not ideal?

IMG20240125151401.jpg
    IMG20240125151432.jpg
    IMG20240125151507.jpg
    IMG20240125151511.jpg
    IMG20240125151546.jpg
    IMG20240125151657.jpg
    IMG20240125152133.jpg
    IMG20240125152148.jpg
    IMG20240125152628.jpg
    IMG20240125152636.jpg
    IMG20240125152704.jpg

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ah I see, I think I know the one you've seen as I've also been tempted to buy it :lol:

8. Zender Z20

If it is, the seller knocked a bit off just for watching it, so maybe an even better buy now?

Had spotted it when I was looking into what my own pump was and reading that old thread.

Just me delving into period mods again, but as I've since read that it's maybe not a good idea fitting the larger flowing pump to engines such as mine that don't really need them just going to stick with the 30mm one I have.