narrowing track on mk1 golf

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by jonlen, Sep 5, 2010.

1. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Still no wheel info? [:s]

To give you an idea of what you can get away with. My mk1 runs 50mm wide track at the front along with 7x15 et24 wheels. That makes the wheels et1 if I'm right which fit under standard cut arches and trimmed plastic but I do run 2.5* of camber though.

SO WHAT ARE YOUR WHEEL SPECS PLEASE?

Gurds

2. jonlen Forum Member

i am struggling with the rims because when the centre is attached to the hub with the adapter the centre sticks past the arch. so the dish would not come out as far as the wheel centre, which you see a lot with ronals, but i dont like, i would like the dish to come past the centre.

i planned on getting the centres sitting right then making the rims as wide as possible by figuring out what dishes i can manage to fit. this will allow me to make the wheels as wide as possible.

what difference did widening your track make?? have you:
    lengthened bottom arm, moved upper mount and relocated steering pick up??

in relation to dansters comments i came on this forum for some practical advice if you read back through your posts you have been a bit unfair with your comments, im just trying to solve a problem.

3. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I did all that you mentioned and extended the ball joints too but my goals are slightly different to yours.

You can shorten the wishbones by cutting out a section and re-welding them. I added strengthening plates over the joints for added security.

Get the driveshafts shortened but would be a good idea to have them rebalanced bare afterwards. Its worth doing a dry assembley with no grease or cv boots to get the correct plunge position on the inner cv joints.

Tie rods can just be cut down and the thread re-tapped. As your balljoint and tied rod mounting points will be the same, just further in, the arc they travel in should stay the same in relation. You can tweek the inner tie rod mounting to eliminate any bump steer you may develop.

Move in top mounts in via eccentric mounts.

The rear axle will be more difficult as the mounting points are less easily moved.

Is there no scope to have the rear of the wheels machind down a bit to help?

Also, using the Audi wheel hubs is a good idea as mentions earlier by Daved so youcan ditch the 20mm adapters.

Gurds

4. danster Forum Addict

You have got advice, and we have asked further questions to find out more technical specifications that will help us advise you in a more informative way too.
    I just read my posts on here and fail to see where you are coming from on me being unfair.
    Did you bother to search on that mk1 that had the track narrowed in my first link?
    Calling people clowns is hardly a good way to gain a rapport with the various folks on here.

You are trying to do something that is not considered a common modification, so will need to think long and hard on all factors involved with the job.
    I have been here too. Everyone says you cannot fit mk2 or 3 hubs to a mk1 and make it work. But you can if you apply a lot of thought and redesign certain parts to make it happen. There are an awful lot of factors to consider though.
    Physically making the wheels fit is one thing but ironing out all the geometry implications is another area entirely.
    Mine has full suspension travel with zero bump steer and maintains the correct scrub radius by using the correct ET wheels.
    Better than VW ever managed! :lol:

But what would I know.

5. jonlen Forum Member

no scope to machine rims and i dont tjink rear will need to be narrowed.

thankyou for your help.