need a new trackday car / toy for weekends

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by M7R, Oct 12, 2009.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Cheap - effectively a 306 GTI-6 minus the 6-speed box, with questionable styling.

167 bhp engines are troublesome - cambelts and tensioners failing inside service intervals, and leaving tappety heads behind, even when all valves renewed and valve guides checked (been there). No low down torque.

Engine bays are tight to work in also.

Entertaining machines though.

2. Aphex Forum Junkie

Ah didn't know there was a difference between that and the gti-6.

I take it they're cheaper? Must have been the gti-6 I was actually thinking about

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

155bhp IIRC for the S16 vs 167bhp for the GTI-6/Rallye

S16s older and cheaper (and likely rougher).

4. G-Man Forum Junkie

MK2 VR6...if you can handle the anchor power ;)

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

And if you wish to take on the challenge.....

.... of corners :o

6. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

The people that actually track them tend to do no more than use them as drift cars seeing as you can pick up standard wheels for nothing off people that don't take them and drift them to hell.

7. prof Forum Addict

my fiat coupe is for sale, 305s with 4 pots, 220bhp, visco LSD, F1s all round, for much cheapness.

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Not at all - there were several UK Supras on track at the Nurburgring in September, and one off track, purchasing armco.

9. beetie

beetie Forum Member

200sx, very cheap now and some will have good bits on for not a lot of money
    s13, s14 or s14a shape are all well priced and all easily tuned

10. Admin Guest

when you say cheap? how cheap? as the few i've seen have been

11. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

nissan s13's s14s ect seem to vairy in price alot, I was about to go buy a very good example of an s14a with 280hp and lots of good parts for 1400quid, but was put off by insurance and as it was my 3rd car I couldnt justify it, similar cars where for sale for 3-5grand!

12. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

has anyone built a raddo as a track car? (I know that Daz was builing the twin engined one. but thats a bit more mad than I am thinking :lol: )

let just say if I was to go this route any one seen a roll cage for a raddo? plus do I go late spec 2.0L 16v or get an earlier 1.8 16v? (Im thinking 2.0L for the extra CCs and then new cams and a flowed head should see me with some good power, but not sure what the fueling is on the 2.0l...ecu controlled id guess being around the M/N plate)

http://www.herbys53.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445

something abit like that when im done...Im think it maybe the right thing to do as its still VAG but something a little different.

13. jettadan Forum Member

Speak to Sambo - he's got one with an ABF for track use.

14. leontdi Forum Member

i saw a few pranged ones on pistonheads after the snow feb march time .

15. leontdi Forum Member

oops i meant nisssan 200s

how about an old audi v8 stripped bare and toyo 888 s , surely would be fun as 4wd and its all electric inside , so imagaine all the weight that could be removed ,they are cheap if you can find one .

16. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

it needs to be something small-sh, cheap to run and fix, and not going to cost me over a grand to insure as a second car...im only just 24 so abig old v8 is no good lol,

17. G-Man Forum Junkie

Insurance over a grand?!?! My mk2 with the VR and all mods declared on classic car insurance is only 500 a year TPFT with 4,000 mile limit due to only weekend use. Infact it also includes commute to work :lol:

The same car I have but with a supercharger and 250hp limit was still 750 TPFT.

Thats for someone of the same age ;) and using a 2nd car so therefore started with zero no claims bonus.

I still like a Seat Ibiza Cupra 16v with the ABF engine; lighter than a mk3 but with nice opportunities to track and tune the engine

18. Ben U Forum Member

Custom Cages do the Clubman type cages that you weld together yourself, they do it in a range of different types from rear with single diagonal all the way up to full multi point and everywhere in between. Safety Devices also do them as well, i am sure i have seen them listed but can't be positive.

I always thought a 'raddo would be a good choice. Either that or a mk3 would be my latest pick.

What about a 20v Ibiza/Mk4 Golf, they are slightly more modern but they would still be stripped and caged for that money.

Unfortunately you won't get much more retro/older VAG than your Mk1.

19. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

the grand is a top limit... im paying about 700 at the mo for the charged mk1 on a limited millage set up but with comuting etc.

ill look at the safety devices cages then and see, the raddo could be a goer....then its a case of which engine? early or late valver

20. Aphex Forum Junkie