need to beat type r's

Discussion in '16-valve' started by 85mk2golf1.3, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

why not strive to make your car better though?

i couple years back a friend of mine had a dc2. i initially wanted to make mine as good as his but then decided it would be daft

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

It's OK guys, me coat's on and I think I can hear the taxi outside...[:D]

As you were.

3. NIK

Nik New Member

Have u ever heard of AWD in Scotland??They had a Pulsar that was stripped of its kit(bonnet vent,spoiler etc)and at one point it was the fastest in europe.Was doing 10.6 1/4s.My mate now owns it and its getting more power shoved thro it.Think it was running circa 420bhp on gas with standard internals.Now the gas has been removed in favour of a massive turbo,forged bottom end,launch control,anti-lag and more boost.I'll try and find a few pics of it.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I see the thread starter has disappeared... you lot musta scared him away! either that or he's off pricing Hondas....lol

5. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

why have they held their price so well!?

6. fthaimike Forum Addict

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  7. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

that's pretty impressive, its a 07 plate S2000 so has an LSD too... lovely cars them. Wonder id it would be as close on a bigger circuit where the S2000 could stretch it's legs a bit?? With a tight and twisty track I would imagine it's quite hard keeping that V-TEC on song

8. fthaimike Forum Addict

Paul's does well for a self built in a shed jobbie.

9. thetrash New Member

Isn't the problem with GTiRs that the engine can be tuned so much that the rest of the car struggles to keep up. I've heard of the gearboxes being a weak point in them especially now they are getting on a bit.

BTW there's a CTR that runs 10.1's @ 143mph at the moment thats still FWD

Anyway I took my 16v'er out for a raz tonight, I didn't see any other cars and had a great time driving not very fast in the slippery conditions

10. NIK

Nik New Member

Yes gearboxes can be a weak point but pay good money for a good 1 and it take care of it and itl be as good as any other car.The problem is that folk buy them due to the fact they are insanely quick,then proceed to launch them at every oppertunity.Which in time weakens the parts.Then its just a matter of how long its going to last.Thing is,they dont need launched to be quick.Pull away slowly then gun it and they are just as quick.And dont bang the gears in and lift the clutch super fast or that will fuk them too.

Most of them that have had good money spent on them run Quaiffe boxes or PPG gearsets to be on the safe-side.Thats just the extremeist who upgrade to them but still makes its still a bonus buying 1 with either of those boxes.The standard box is fine and will take 1.1bar boost(300+bhp) without problems of looked after.

Its good to see a Pulsar being lauched tho.Just shows how quick they are off the mark.They will scare a super-bike.

11. Pricie Forum Junkie

Well.... yes and no.... the gearboxes only have a reputation for being made of chocolate because people jack up the power, jack up the boost and wonder why the gearbox melts. lol

My gearbox is a tight as a nuns chuff. :thumbup: but then i very rarely run it at high boost.
    Pulsars are 237hp as standard and on low boost mine runs 280-300hp, which is still upto 60hp more through the gearbox than designed and it handles that fine.

My mates got one, just had it real road mapped at 460hp. Stripped, Caged, HUGE brakes, dropped, ARB's, SB's the lot! Its basically a race car

I thought i had the measure of quickness out of my Pulsar until i went for a smoking launch after about 3 weeks of ownership, it scared me the way it launches! theres nothing like it. Nik's right, superbikers beware!

12. paul_c Forum Member

So, any Civic Type-R going to Oulton Park on 7th Feb?

13. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

14. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

thats because we're about 155 posts in and he's not had a straight answer yet... :clap:

abf + 100 shot nos + a nice shassis set up = road manners + econemy + dead type-r :thumbup:

now thats done lets continue the rant... :lol:

15. jamesa Forum Junkie

154 posts = :thumbup: for Honda then ... DC2 preferably

16. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

well I love honda's but not mad on the newer CTR... favorites are

Integra
    S2000
    EK9 Civic Type R
    Accord Type R

17. NIK

Nik New Member

Accord Type R is top of the list for me if i ever fancy Tec.

18. jamesa Forum Junkie

I`ve owned both the Accord and Integra (DC2) type R`s ... Integra was by far the better driver`s car ... for me

Here in Singapore there are quite a few of the 4 door Civic Type R`s, good looking and
    sounding car ... backed up by a huge reputation as the best handling Type R ever.

Litchfield Motors in the UK have them priced on a par with the Golf GTI ... sorry VW

19. NIK

Nik New Member

As much as i love DC2s aswell,theyrs just something about the ATR.The big 4 door saloon stance and the interiors are nice.Alot of car for the money.

20. 85mk2golf1.3 Forum Member

for all of those who thought i had left im still here and impressed with how common the tread ended out to be....i was away on hols so didnt get a chance to look at any of the posts.... i would like to remind its HOW to beat a TYPE R with an abf mk2....not advice on buying a type r or a pulsar....im 18 and have a mk2 golf that ive spent the past two years spending lots of time and money on it so im not going to buy a civiv its golfs that im into....mk2s,not mk1s.....

would anyone else like to submit their inputs??