New Polo GTI

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by Deako, May 28, 2010.

1. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Now appearing on the 1st page of a Google search for Polo GTI. :lol:

[​IMG]

2. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

What does everyone think? Pro Race 1.2 in black or LM Reps??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Go with Pro Race 1.2, Looks hard as nails;)

Ok, LM's...[:D]

4. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

The black wheels balance, and harmonise, really well with all the rest of the black trim.

5. 50ftdubdemon Forum Member

proper nice these new polos.. for me its the best looking vw since the corrado. thinks its to do with that new design bloke theyve got.. pretty sure this is first car hes had full influence over (rest have been facelifted)?

reminds me of mk1 golf in that its got very simple,clean lines and perfect balance/proportions. mk1 looked like a 'perfect' evolution of a small family hatch and this is same.. a 'perfect' example of what a supermini should look like. its exactly what a vw should be.. pure function over form with some nice detailing here and there. fingers crossed they do a similar job on the mk7 golf

lm's for me by the way :thumbup:

edit: although above dudes comment about the black balancing off the black on the roof is a good one.. black lm's? :lol:

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  6. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Mine wont have the black panoramic sunroof (it was a 760 option), but i might have the roof wrapped in black gloss vinyl. :thumbup:

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  7. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

whole roof in black would look good, also black LM's get my vote.

8. Dave

Crikey, not been called a dude for about forty years, up till now.

Got to disagree a little though. The Mk1 was not an 'In House' VW design, whereas, the Mk2 was. VW managed to make the Mk2 slightly larger, but still get a more aerodynamic design, by following the Bauhaus rule of: "Form Follows Function". The only thing that VW did wrong in the Mk2, was to undercut the front and rear wings, so that you could not remove the bumpers. The Mk1 looks so clean with the bumpers off. For me, I hope that the Mk7 looks like a Mk2 with smooth front and rear wings, flat sides and round headlights!

9. 50ftdubdemon Forum Member

see your point.. mk2 was very much an evolution of the mk1. in fact right through the 80s vag simply evolved or drew influence from the late 70s giugiaro designs, creating cars that were more functional whilst sacrificing a little of the asthetic balance of the originals. but obviously they couldnt get away with it for ever and since they started fresh in the early 90s i think theyve really struggled (although sure mk3 owners would disagree!).

to me 90s stuff looked functional to point of being lazy.. like they didnt really care how it turned out so long is it did its job. so then in the early 00s they started adding bits in a desperate attempt to make it look more interesting.. obvious example being the reintroduction of traditional 80s twinspots in various halfarsed guises which were just no longer relevent.

this new polo doesnt make that mistake tho.. it almost looks like a computer has decided which bits should go where and they simply joined the dots afterwards. and by way of sheer fluke (tho obviously not), the end result is perfectly proportioned. thats why im reminded of the mk1, because it manages to tick both boxes.

whatever influences the mk1s/mk2s have over the design of the mk7 golf theres one thing im praying they bring back.. class leading handling!

10. micky1 Forum Member

Looks like a nice car. Guess you won't have it long enough to worry about the time when it's out of warrenty! turbo / super charger /7 speed DSG :[

11. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

6 months or so. If that. :thumbup:

Plan to keep this.

12. clart Forum Member

Would be good to get a private reg of PO10 GTI, got to be the best reg plate you could ever get. Shame they don't do i's on car registrations

13. Andy947 Forum Addict

Not a chance, thats not what VW are about! They never have been.

Will be a superb wee car :thumbup:

14. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Absolutely, and im not expecting it to be. As everyone says (and all the reviewers), if i wanted that id buy a Renaultsport Clio 200. Luckily, i dont. [:D]

Plans are afoot for a bit of tinkering already though. ;)

15. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

What about the vid you posted up of the rocco R versus vairous other performance cars Andy? Twas very impressive, even they seemed shocked but its hard to tell whats going on on those vids :lol:

16. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Scirocco has a much better chassis though.

Good thing is that most the Ibiza Cupras when actually put on the rollers, are putting out much closer to 200bhp with this engine. :thumbup:

17. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

thats so cool for a 1.4, love the twin charged thing, if my local vw dealer didnt know me a broke scruff id try and blag a drive in something with that engine.

18. Dave

Ah! Know what you mean. Every time I roll up at the showroom, in the old Audi, they know I am just looking!

19. 50ftdubdemon Forum Member

maybe im being naive but i honestly think the mk7 will be different.. i mean with everyone obsessed with mpg weight reduction is a given.. and some of the prototype stuff has featured magneseum suspension components.. and then theres the new scirroco and mk5 golf which were both a step in right direction.. and i do this to myself with every generation..... alas i will no doubt be disappointed [:^(]

20. Deako Paid Member Paid Member