noisy polo gti gearbox

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by 6N-POLOGTI, Feb 14, 2005.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

oh, i was hoping the 02k would last better in the polo :(

2. amstrange1 Forum Member

6N 1.4 CLs had 085 series chocolate transmissions.

3. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Mine must have been `upgraded` at some point then...but it still went; whined in every gear, spat out a load of oil and got stuck in fifth on one long journey, then was mysteriously fine for months, before developing a whine just in fifth gear, and eventually lost fifth altogether mere minutes after I did an oil change...

4. theboymike Forum Junkie

Interesting thread :)

Can't quite get my head around exactly what you're saying. but does this mean that the internal features and dimensions of the main gearbox casings (not the bellhousing side) are different between the 020 and 02K? I was hoping the bellhousings might be interchangeable allowing the majority of an 020 gearbox bellhousing..

5. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

I really don't think the 020 nor the 02k has anything to do with this thread as the polo didn't use these boxes, but had the crappy 085 design.
    The 020 and 02k are basically the same inside dimensionally, this gearbox in this thread is totally different (y reg polo)

6. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

I was commenting on the design of the 085, using an 020 as a comparison. Also, adding my two penneth as to why the 085's fail.

7. theboymike Forum Junkie

Ahh, OK - my mistake. Saw the thread titile and assumed it was regarding the box in the Polo 6N2 Gti [:$]

I thought the Polo G40 boys managed to stuff quite a lot of torque through the 085 without too many problems; has something changed perhaps between the earlier and later boxes..?

8. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Does the lupo gti have the same boxes? They share the same Avy engine.

9. Hotgolf

It is regarding the polo 6n2 gti, but it doesn't have an 020 or an o2k in it, well, the one sitting on my drive doesn't.

10. Hotgolf

Lupo gti 5 speed is an 02t and the 6 speed 02U.
    Never actually seen one so I can't comment, altough the diagram on VAGCAT show it to have a totally different casing to an 020/k .

11. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I Have the 5 speed in mine. Was getting worried reading all this.

12. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

It was an arosa 1.7SDI that I rebuilt. Pretty sure it was an 085, but, as ever, willing to be corrected.

13. theboymike Forum Junkie

According to this the 1.7 Sdi Lupos (and Arosas too I assume but don't have the Seat bit of ETKA installed) are fitted with (amongst other codes) FFV and DXQ 'boxes; both of which have 085 prefixed part numbers on ETKA.

Hotgolf; I wouldn't take the VAGCAT illustrations as gospel; I've been confused several times by "wrong" drawings on ETKA - perhaps a complete big block engine being used to illustrate what is actually a small block engine..

:thumbup:

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  14. rubjonny

ok then, so the O2K would be an upgrade on the polo gti?

some of the polos got cable shift boxes, but rare as hell. these are the ones where you can get a MK4 cable shifter that bolts directly to a mk2

15. Hotgolf

If they have the cable change then it may explain why there's Polo's with o2j box numbers against them, although everyone I've seen has had the 085.
    The VAGCAT diagrams are correct in this instance. At the start of the Chapter it shows all the boxes associated with the vehicle, and the part numbers.

16. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

The later 6N Polo with a 085 box have cable change. Its fun to work on as the downpipe needs to be removed to get at it..

17. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Think it's only the polo tdi that had the shifter that fits into a mk2/mk3. And is cable change. Was searching Part numbers on etka for model to get spares from.

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  18. rubjonny

MK4 style cable shift fitted to:
    Polo 95-02 - TDI
    Polo classic 00-02 - TDI
    Lupo 99-06 - TDI & 1.6 GTI 16v
    Caddy 96-03 - TDI

Ibiza 99-02 - TDI & 1.8T
    Arosa 97-04 - TDI
    Cordoba 99-02 - TDI & 1.8T
    Inca 99-01 - TDI

19. rubjonny

Aha now I see! All Polos of this era use cable shifter, its just the diesel got a better MK4 golf style tower.

The 1.6 16v Polo GTI has a cable shift based box, and the lower spec polos have the 085 box. They both use the same shifter setup its just the 085 equipped cars have a set of linkages in the bay to convert the cable shifter to 085 rod

20. theboymike Forum Junkie

The plot thickens :p

Not sure about using an 02K on a Polo on account of the rod shift.. also, does anyone know for certain what bellhousing bolt pattern the 1.6 Polo / Lupo gti engines and boxes have? Assuming it's small block, but not 100% sure.

Given the 02J's apparent 02A origins I wonder if it's a similar deal to the 020 / 02K, in that it's basically a big block gearbox with a redesigned bellhousing to fit the small block engine.

If this is the case it might be possible to fit the 02J clutch housing to a stronger 02A sourced from a different application, perhaps...?