noisy polo gti gearbox

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by 6N-POLOGTI, Feb 14, 2005.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

i recon you could use 1.6-1.9 ibiza parts to convert the polo to an 02k shifter. since the ibiza 1.8 turbo uses the polo diesel shifter setup the 1.6-1.9 ibiza bits will fit. think main issue would be getting the shifter bracket on as i think the steering rack on polo doesnt have the bolt holes for it

2. danster Forum Addict

No expert on modern cars since they started fitting CATs and the like..............But there are so many Polo platforms it may be fickle to assume the boxes are interchangeable. The 6N versions used 085 boxes with a small block bellhousing, these can be retro fitted to older Polo mk1 / 2 / 3 and Golfs mk1 / 2 / 3 platforms.
    There was a large block diesel engine that was fitted to these some Polos back then, or possibly it was the 6N2 versions that got this engine. It lies canted forward so the bellhousing is not the same as the normal 020 or 085 boxes used previously.
    Then the Polo TDI estates came out, which are 6K or Ibiza style which is basically a Golf mk2 layout, they used 02A boxes.
    The newer stuff I have no knowledge on.

3. rubjonny

polo estate/classics are based on the SEAT Ibiza platform, totally different to the Polo so any upgrades are as per SEAT Ibiza.

the 'normal' polos are different, for the purposes of this discussion we are talking Polos made between 1995 and 2002. the 02k box has multi drilling for big and small blocks, this is why the discussion started in the first place :)

looking into it the reason the 02k wasnt fitted to the polo is probably because the platform is slightly different to the SEAT, with no bracketry on the steering rack for the rod shifter linkage. this means that the 02K can be retrofitted to the smaller engined polos, just need to find a way to get the linkage on.

to correct theboymike, unfortunately the 02J was not fitted to the Polo GTI. it got the same 085 box as the rest! the ESB EXB boxes were fitted to the 1.4 TDI engines :(

edit: just had another look and the polo 1.9 engines also got 085 based boxes!

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  4. danster Forum Addict

You cannot retrofit an 020 or 02K box into a Polo mk1 / 2 / 3 (pre 6N) without major effort.
    And the 1.9 diesel engine in the 6N or 6N2 (whichever it is) cants the engine forward so is also no use as a conversion box either. It appears to be big block to 085 box though. Crazy!

5. rubjonny

yeah i forgot you actually have to get the mount on them as well, plus shafts and cables :lol:

any idea how different the 02j is from 02a? etka pics look the same but the pics often just stolen from earlier models so arnt very accurate

6. danster Forum Addict

02A and 02J are very similar, and they are shorter than an 020.
    I know a lad that is fitting a big block and 02A in a mk2 Polo with the use of a subframe from some German company. It is a lot of effort. He ended up going cable change box because trying to fit the 020 linkages was a mare. Pretty much everything is bespoke in that conversion.

7. theboymike Forum Junkie

B*gger [:$]

Just had another look and can see you're right - 3cyl big block diesel..

8. rubjonny

yeah you got me all excited for a minute there, small block cable shift box... nope oh well :lol:

9. theboymike Forum Junkie

Sorry :p

What application are you thinking about - early Polo? I'm hoping a rebuilt 02K / 020 with an 02K clutch housing would do for a big(ish) power small block in a Mk2 Golf.. but as Danster says fitment into an early Polo sounds like a bit of a pain :(

10. rubjonny

it was more an option for stopping high power polos blowing up gearboxes, but not to be! oh well

11. amstrange1 Forum Member

Polos 86, 86c, 86cf, 6N and 6N2 all use the 084/085 series transmissions - except the 6N2 (and 6N??) "big block" derived diesel motors which used an 02X type with the starter motor at the front. Polo 6K/V (i.e. saloon/estate) do have 02X derived transmissions if they use a big block motor.

The Lupos that run an 02X derivative have a different engine block, which is why you can't throw a Lupo GTI 6-speed onto a Polo GTI without changing the block, even though they're very similar!

Early 86-series Polos were all rod change, all the 6Ns I've poked around with have been cable change. The 085 casing for a cable change 6N has an extra bracket in the casting to accomodate part of the cable change gubbins - but if you grind that off it's possible to fix a 6N 085 'box into an older Polo.

Early/late 085 transmission differences also include different output flanges (later are longer, so really need changing if you're fitting to an older car), and I think the diff and bearings might've changed at some point too - though I've not stripped my dead 6N 'box down yet to compare in detail.

The earlier 085 'boxes are no means indestructable. I've killed my fair share, including two 5th gear failures and a nice diff death - though they were all with a G-lader's aggressive torque delivery, the turbo's claimed none so far... There does seem to be a LOT of 6N/6N2 Polos that are lunching their gearboxes though, more so than on the older Polos.

12. theboymike Forum Junkie

Excellent info :thumbup:

I've heard that about the Lupo Gti engines, but have never actually seen the differences.. so do all Lupo Gtis have the different bellhousing pattern, or is it just the 6 speeders?

Got any links to info on your Polo? Sounds interesting [8D]

13. rubjonny

the 085 boxes are all made of cheese. its just that the newer cars are much heavier which is why the die more. same reason 020s die in mk3 more than mk1/2.

14. amstrange1 Forum Member

I'm not convinced that it's just down to weight. There are deffo differences in the diff bearing area from looking at ETKA, and the extra mass of a 6N Polo over an 86C isn't crazy (around 140kg) - yet the 'boxes don't last so well on a 60bhp 1.4CL 6N as they do on a tuned 150bhp G40. It was the diff or diff bearings that died in the one 6N 'box I tried to use on my 86C, it lasted about 5 mins - but probably came off a 6N because it was dying for all I know!

15. amstrange1 Forum Member

Not sure about the Lupo 5-speeders. Diffs must be 085 style on some of the Lupo GTIs though, as Quaife sold some 085 diffs to Lupo GTI owners in a group buy!

Here's a vid of the Polo at the Pod: http://youtu.be/pABQ7ROwhY4.

16. rubjonny

im pretty convinced its the weight, im sure vw wouldnt have changed the 085 design to make it worse! there isnt much in it from mk2 to mk3 either, but mk3s always destroy the reverse gears, and mk2s just about never.

unless the extra lengths in the shafts could effect anything...

17. theboymike Forum Junkie

This is interesting, since I've not seen any Lupo owners complaining about their boxes.. that said I suppose there are a lot more Polo Gtis than Lupo Gtis about..

Your Polo is certainly rapid - nice little sleeper you've got there :thumbup:

That said there is always room for cost based "rationalisation", also I think the 020 and 02K are potentially good examples - basically the same diff design yet in 020 form the rivets occasionally fail on cars putting out a reasonable amount of torque (stock KR for example) while in 02K form they've got a real rep for failing in much lower power applications (eg. the 1.4 16v).

Could perhaps be due to a change in case material spec or bearing supplier.. all changes that wouldn't be widely known outside of VW.

18. rubjonny

02k is mostly fitted into the mk4, even more lardy!

19. amstrange1 Forum Member

Cheers! Was running lower boost then, and I'd tracked it by eye - so hopefully there's more in it down the 1/4 mile. Really should fit my LSD too.

There are a few 6N Polos that people have done G40 conversions on, and I'd have thought if it was just the weight that they'd have eaten gearboxes fairly quickly? A friend did a conversion to his several years ago, and it lunched a 'box - but that was the original 6N one. He stuck a G40 085 'box on it, and it was fine after that - the motor should've been good for 190bhp or so too.

Anyone know if VW changed their oil specs at all in that time? Some of our proto vehicles at work have terrible 'box life, but tweaking the oil spec meant they last much much longer before they machine themselves to pieces.

I do also wonder whether wheel/tyre size has an influence too. Pre-6N Polos were all supplied with 13" wheels, and even fitting 15"s to them isn't common - whereas 6N onwards had numerous different (larger) diameters fitted to them, and big wheels fit much more easily.

20. rubjonny

could also be down to the length of time the box is being used in the car. mk3 plo has spent all its life in a lighter car, 6n box spent all its life in a heavy car. remeains to be seen if the g40 box gives up in the same time frame the 6n box did, as the 6n box would have spent say10-15 years in the heavier car, wheras the g40 box has only spend a few