Not balancing rear wheels/tyres (taken out from tyre changing thread)

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Matt82, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i was told that the rears dont need to be balanced, but ive had plenty of cars in the past where you get a wobble through the seats or the door pins shake as certain speeds if theyre not balanced.

the rears are just as important.

how much will valves cost when brought in bulk? i suppose the big problem is, if you do it 'mobile' then you may end up driving miles and miles and the cost of petrol would mean 10 a corner wouldnt be enough.

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I'm just thinking in terms of doing my own. All you'll end up doing are tyres for local peeps, max.

I'll report back on unbalanced rears - soon :)

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

take the weights off and go run it up to 70-80 lol if they are far out youll feel a wobble through the seat. if your car's interior is as bad as mine, youll have the door pins rattling. tbh, ive sometimes got the impression the rear end felt 'lighter' when ive had unbalanced rear wheels on, as in it felt a bit fidgety, but that could just be my imagination.

my brother is a bit of a bum at the moment, id recommend he did something like this on the side

4. Seraph Banned

nonsense!
    anything feeling like its wobbling at the back is more likely because you have a car designed nearly 20yrs ago!

rear wheels have to be VERY unbalenced before you can detect it, and modern tyres and practices means this is relatively unusual.

if the rear end feels light its certainly not the balencing, try checking the tyre pressures and geometry.

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

lol @ nonsense.

my previous car was a 2002 A4. one of the stick on weights came off resulting in the wobble.

the car was 2 years old at the time, i doubt the design was 20 years old at all.

there cannot be any dispute that imbalanced rears send a wobble though the car. how is it nonsense to call that an important consideration?

6. Seraph Banned

there will always be exceptions.

the one wheel weight on you car may have been hiding a much greater sin such as a partial buckle, or maybe the weight had an enormously bizarre gram-age

but in the ordinary order of things, while theres no doubt there may result neglible wobble from rears, its undetectable to the average punter.

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

* please * put down your copies of The Princess and the Pea. Thanks!

8. Seraph Banned

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

sereph, where do you get your impression from?

10. pRot3us Forum Junkie

11. Seraph Banned

?[:s]

where d'you get yours!?:lol:

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

actual experiance

13. Seraph Banned

its not a relevant factor is it, but if its that important to you, do your forum research more throughly.

to know why its not relevant, turn to simple stats and science, e.g.

because something happens once (e.g. to you) doesnt actually make it gospel, thus

show me another 100 people showing the same thing, then your hypothesis stands up slightly better.

so is there a point, or is this your continuing efforts of alienation?

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

im not on here to post exactly what everyone else posts, my contribution in this thread is what i know. there may not be 100 other people reporting the same issue becuase theirs were balanced properly when they had the last tyres fitted.

when i had my eagles changed to paradas, they didnt want to balance the rears and i told them they should because it had a wobble. they were balanced and that wobble is gone.. when the 'balanced' the fronts, however, they have cocked that up and i have a wobble through the wheel now.

youre trying to make the point that its nonsense for balancing the rears to be as important as the front. we all know an unbalanced wheel causes a wobble... therefore how is it possible that balancing the rears is any less important than the front.

if thats the case, why not go outside and bin the weights off your rear rims... unlikely, as that would involve you stepping away from the internet![:D]

15. Seraph Banned

Perhaps balencing rears isnt any less important per se....

but the point being, is that it is far from necessary in MOST cases, because the rears (presumably) absorb wobble much more than fronts!

i assume most people will want to half their wheel balencing bill when at quikfit, by ensuring only the fronts are balenced, sticking the rears straight on. Tyres (as a whole) are manufactured much better now, the amount they need for balencing is now is much less.

As for my own rears, i cant take the weights off, as i've never had the rears balenced![:D]
    ps, i work behind a desk all day(mostly), every day, so its inevitable im on the net frequently!

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

do you know what causes the imbalance? the manufacturing of the wheel or construction of the tyre.

im suprised there arnt ways around this through manufacturing etc.

nevermind

17. Seraph Banned

when you put a new tyre on a wheel, its the tyre thats unbalanced

but this imbalance only makes sense when considered once on a wheel, otherwise tyres would come already balanced.

as its impractical to try and balance the tyre itself, the wheel itself must be balanced, giving the overall effect of the tyre being balanced.

theres absolutely nothing to stop anyway from always balancing their rears, but it seems a little like extravagance - unless you know you'll put the rears on the front.

also bear in mind, that many of the suppliers of wheel balancing machines/weights ect, are subsidiaries of tyre companies!

18. abf"d mk1 Paid Member Paid Member

always get all my wheels balanced but when i have fitted an unbalanced one to the rear i have never noticed any vibration at all as far as i can recall.

19. benthejettaman Forum Member

when you are balancing a wheel you are balancing both the wheel and tye together as the wheel itself is never pefectly true and still has hi spots on it as the same is to said about the tyre

20. fthaimike Forum Addict

I have always balanced my 4 wheels regarless of what anyone could say to me.

If something is imbalanced then the more it spins the more vibration you get & i have also had a vibration from a rear wheel.