Not balancing rear wheels/tyres (taken out from tyre changing thread)

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Matt82, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

do you work for a company that curbs your rims to buggery when fitting tyres?

i hate garages.... ive been so ripped off on this one lol

2. Seraph Banned

thats exactly what was being said in the first place!...and its still incorrect

why does it make common sense? Have you measured the oscillations of a rear unbalanced wheel?
    if you have, how much does it have to be out before it begins to wear suspension components? How long does that take? How do you intend to measure the wear?!

unfortunately, having a logical idea in your head doesn't equate to reality (the famous phrase, 'a little knowledge is dangerous' springs to mind here).
    The idea is simply a no go-er. Theres no feasible way of filtering out the other potential causes of suspension wear from that of unbalanced rears. And as said before, no manufacturering R&D is going to invest in that. Why should they - they'll just advocate balancing the rears!

As for seeing tyre daily - thats great, but it has nothing to do with unbalanced rears. And if it did, you wouldn't actually know anyway with a rigorous test procedure!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

that has to be one of the most useless posts ever.

you disagree and critasise the posts above, but dont give an reasoning why or any indication to what the 'actual answer' should be.

my views in my posts up there are my opinion, it seems to be common sense that if you have a wheel having an eppy at 80, its going to be damaging something (bearings, bushes, dampers, steering rack?)

but you feel. "Theres no feasible way of filtering out the other potential causes of suspension wear from that of unbalanced rears"

im saying that the forces produced by a spinning unbalanced wheel will cause damage to the components which transmit the forces to the car.

are you saying that they wont damage bushes, bearings, dampers etc?

4. Seraph Banned

the only post that is pointless, is the one asserting something that is completely unfounded and in the imagination of a person/s guessing.

however, everyones entitled to their opinion - that can never be taken away.

unfortunately, you're struggling to make a point here that simply cant be made - its impossible.

Your trying to link unbalanced rears with suspension components wearing out, but you cant, no one can (with the exception of a R&D dept)

If your convinced that spinning forces damaged components, then fine, but back it with tangible evidence. Otherwise, you owe it to the forum, to make it very clear that its your own anecdotal opinion.

If somethings pointless, its not so much this post, its this line of debate....because it cant actually be proven by either side...thus it is fruitless
    But bear in mind, my point from the beginning, was that any effect of unbalanced rears is simply LESS important than that of the fronts...not that it doesnt exist.

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

you're avoiding the point again lol

I've said I believe that various components will be damaged if your wheels are not balanced, you have said that you do not believe damage will be caused, but have not given and reasoning why.

my view is that it is common sense. the shaking and continuous reapplying of the forces will knacker bits and pieces over time. I cant prove it, because I wasn't stupid enough to drive with unbalanced shaky wheels for long enough that bits dropped off.

what is your justification behind your view that nothing will be damaged? (other than its not been proven to damage anything)

or are you simply attempting to be controversial without any grounding for your views... as seems so common...

6. Seraph Banned

My goodness, this is hard work. And because this is going nowhere, I shall reiterate for the last time and let readers decide for themselves.

Where have I said components wont be damaged? Exactly, I haven’t. What I have said, is that even if they are, you CANNOT prove this is due to unbalanced rears. Common sense although accessible, is more or less irrelevant in science.

No, you can’t prove it, because its not provable (for the average person) not because you haven't tried! Why is it stupid to run unbalanced rears? Is it stupid because its something you don’t do? It strikes me as shrewd, not stupid, if you can save money without significantly harming a car. I know many many people agree with that.
    By your own merit you demonstrated how easy it is to have a balanced wheel without weights – that’s prob the result of modern tyre technology. How many people do you actually know that have parts dropping off because they have unbalanced rears? None, because owners or mechanics cant attribute unbalanced rears to parts damage. Theyre more likely to blame GBs poor road condition.

Why should I want to be controversial? I leave that to those who don’t know what they’re on about. As I said, there’s no proof that nothing will be damaged using unbalanced rears anymore than there is there will be damage – theres simply NO way of testing/proving it!

Additionally, highlight where my view isn’t grounded? If its not, and it should be, I’ll gladly justify it. If its only in my opinion, I’ll make that clear and it'll not require grounding.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

so you agree then, an unbalanced wheel, if used for an extended period of time will cause damage?

i dont care whether its provable because i doubt any of us are going to go out there and do it, but IMO damage is highly likely to be caused to various components, its common sense that that will happen, it doesnt need to be proven, you just need to use a little imagination lol

one simple way of proving/testing it would be to get two new cars. one has normal balanced wheels, the other are all unbalanced (because its just not important do to so lol).

run them for 50k miles and see which has more wear to its suspension components.

dont you think its highly likely that the car with unbalanced wheels will show significantly more wear and this will prove the point?

8. Seraph Banned

never any dispute that it wasnt testable AT ALL, but the average person(and thats what were talking about) wont prove this becasue they dont :

-have 2 new cars
    -that they'll do 50k in each equally
    -that are prepared to periodically check the rears are UNblanced
    -& dont have the ablility to minimise ALL other factors affecting wear, eg. road surface.

Once again, the original debate is that the rears are simply LESS important than fronts, as opossed to unimportant!

besides, dont take my word for it. Run it by a garage or someone on here of credible knowhow ,e.g. tsc.

9. squibby Forum Member

are you all on drugs? The rear wheels have about 450kg + over them. As if balancing the wheel is going to reduce the wear on bearings and suspension by any noticable amount.

I had a warped back alloy on my mk2 and it didn't wobble or vibrate. However my friends vitara has massive tyres. He went to get them balanced. The garage fitted at least 50 5g weights round each wheels and it still shakes his arms off after 60mph

10. Seraph Banned

im thinking about starting after this thread!:lol:

11. Supercharged Forum Member

PMSL at this thread....

12. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

It does seem a load of waffle for what is, at the end of the day a few pieces of lead or whatever wheel weights are made of these days.

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

It's a debate that's not easy to prove - end of.

Back to the point of unbalanced wheels. Yesterday, I fitted two tyres onto the back, tyres were scrubbed tyres, with more tread on one edge than another. Result? Jury still out, possibly a little vibration, yet utterly driveable. Oh, and I left the old weights on one, and took the weights off the other....

The bottom line is someone with a tyre depot:

a) doesn't want you to bring your own tyres in, since that's where some of their margin lies. They bulk it up with health and safety scare stories from fitting other people's tyres, but it's 5% that (if that) and 95% driven by margins

b) will happily balance rear wheels, throw new valves at you, and charge you. It's right, since they don't know if a customer will swap them round, but if a customer says "no" and the depot refuses then we're back to the margin/health & safety story again.

And a right old story it is...

14. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I paid 5 a wheel for balancing, don`t begrudge them that as they`ve already paid out for the equipment..

Changed some 245/35/18 tyres this Monday on works machine, turned out to be a right ballache!.

15. diggerbucket Forum Member

I ran an unbalanced wheel on one side of the rear of my car for a while once, I found that I was ending up with warped rear brake discs! It happened twice within a couple of months. A new tyre and balanced wheel seemed to fix it.

Make of that what you will!

16. Seraph Banned

i guess is no different from running unbalenced wheels for decades (on hundreds of cars)and having no problems...make what you will of that.

17. gaffertetley New Member

Hogwash

Now I know this is an old post, but I do get irate at ignorance, Seraph. . .you haven't a clue son.
    if anything, unbalanced rears will transmit more vibration through the chassis because unlike the fronts, they cant move!
    But they can force the wheel to hop....lessening grip.
    Further, from experience. . .I have over 15 years in the tyre trade. . .car & motorcycle, invariably, the more expensive wheels tend to be better manufactured from the factory & require less balance to true them, and equally the same can be said for the tyres, but none of them I have come across yet are perfect, but you will occasionally match a tyre to a rim that wont need weights.

IF you could find a proper tyre fitter, ( no disrespect boys, you don't get paid enough for this ) he would check the balance of the wheel without the tyre, then with, and match the tyre to the wheel as best he could to reduce the imbalance BEFORE making a final balance run, this can reduce massively the amount of weight required.
    Anybody that tells you, you don't have to balance a wheel is just a lazy ****.
    Would you like new wheel bearings with your unbalanced wheels sir???

There is no valid argument not to balance a wheel. . . end of!