Not balancing rear wheels/tyres (taken out from tyre changing thread)

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Matt82, Mar 30, 2007.

1. benthejettaman Forum Member

may i also say if u dont balance your rear wheels your suspension will fail ealier because it having to work hard trying to keep the wheels in costant contact with the rd as an unbalanced will tend to jump slightly not enough to notice on the rd half the time but enough to put added wear on suspension components,
    also if u have directional tyre thes can wear quite badly on the inside edges due to be unbalanced. u can notice this by the inside edges of the tyres starting to step out

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I used to fit tyres all the time in my last job, it's amazing how, if a wheel/tyre needs a load of weight, you can spin the tyre through 180 degs and it will either need more, or much less.

Usually only relevant to budget tyres in my experience.

Can't see why you wouldn't balance the rear wheels, daft not doing imo.

3. BIG AL

BIG AL Forum Member

An unbalanced wheel is just that weather it is on the back or the front. At work we always balance ALL wheels, and wouldn't recommend anything else. If a customer was to argue that they didn't need the rear wheels balancing they would be politely told to p!*@ off and get their tyres somewhere else.

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

thanks for confirming that.

i put it down to a garage being a bit lazy or just wanting to pinch a few more pennies off you.

ffs, not wanting to put new valves in my tyres etc fitting new tyres has been a mission and a half and i wish i had just gone to AL's in wales to do it... would have cost me less (no joke at all)

ho hum.... its all fun

5. Seraph Banned

:lol: , what utter cobblers! What other jokes do you know!

Tyre depots will always try to insit on real wheel balencing, why wouldnt they, its extra money. If its 15 to balence two wheels, its obvious the garage will want to make 30, and most punters will want to save 15! The stark reality is, that most punters dont know either way...they simply do what they're told - hand over another 15 to the garage.
    As for turning away customers who dont want the rears balenced, a garage doing this clearly shouldnt be in business.

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the ones i had called around here gave a price for 'fitting four tyres' (as i had brought them off ebay).

price varied from 40-60. some of them included new valves, some balanced the rears some didnt.

i think the tyre places see it as a waste of their time to fit other poeple's tyres when compared to selling their own, less money involved.

plssibly the justification behind avoiding doing the job properly to save time.

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

urgent one.... balancing the inner and outer rim

is it necessary to do both

some other place is trying to say you dont need to do the outside

8. Dub20vt Forum Member

Depends on the wheels. i've had lots of wheels balanced on just the very inner and none on the spoke side due to large brakes.. never had a problem with it.

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

you wont beleive it now.

took it away to have the balancing done. they put it on the machine, he goes to tighten the spindle and snaps one of the arms of the centre nut.

by this stage, he has taken all the weights off the wheel (were even some still there from when the wheel was made it seemed

i had to go to another centre to get it done. wheels were put back on.

i head onto the motorway, no wobbles. upto 120, no wobbles lol

and this is a rim without ANY weights on at all.

make of that what you will...

10. Seraph Banned

its quite possible, if rare, for a tyre to go on a rim without the need for balencing, or veryvery minimal balencing. Possibly testament to the quality of the tyre or maybe just conincendence.

modern tyre balencers allow a selection for one sided balencing, but with availablity of stickonweights, im unsure of why you would.

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

well there were about 40g or weights on there before (inner edge) which was supposedly balanced)

without any weights on there now, its fine (NSF)

the OSF still has weights and feels ok

ill leave it as it is... its working at the moment [:D]

12. BIG AL

BIG AL Forum Member

I'd just like to point out that in our particular garage the price of balancing and new valve is included in the price of the tyre[:|] . Not balancing a wheel/tyre is something we just don't do.
    Oh and by the way business is doing fine thankyou.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  13. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I think the whole argument for not balancing the rears falls down when you take into account the fact that a lot of people (me included) rotate the wheels front to rear during their life to even out the wear.

I KNOW not everyone does, but it isnt uncommon to switch fornt / rear at a service to keep them wearing evenly is it.

If you dont agree with that statement, what about this as another reason? if I get a puncture in my front wheel, I`d rather fit the spacesaver to the rear, so I`d take the good rear wheel/tyre off, fit the spacesaver then take off the punctured front and fit the good wheel from the rear until I could get it fixed.

I cant see the benefit of not having a balanced rear wheel that you may put on the front at some stage. Its not as if it costs 20 per wheel is it??????

14. benthejettaman Forum Member

so how do u figure out that utter cobblers then

15. Supercharged Forum Member

Amazed by this thread - can't believe anyone would consider this or any tyre place would fit without balancing... absolutly bonkers!

Most backstreet places seem to beat internet prices and charge a fiver for a new valve and balance, the only thing that usually costs extra now is trye disposal (as it costs them)

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

mine are all tip top now. 0-whatever speed, no wobbles. the car feels good

mine field out there. seems no one wants to do a job properly :S

17. Seraph Banned

provide some, any, kind of realistic evidence to show this and i'll retract

unless you work in a engineering research lab?, i imagine you have no evidence.
    Theres no research into the effects of missing wheel weights on suspension wear that im aware of, probably due to the fact theres far more probable and important things to research in engineering.

18. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i doubt missing wheel weights effect suspension. i have no wheel weights on my NSF and its balanced up to damn near vmax so far lol

i think he is saying an unbalanced wheel will effect suspension and the components, which IMO is common sense. with all the shaking around, forces going off in different directions, the damper will be almost constantly acting against the vertical movements. the dampers will be taking a lot of abuse too.

or would they somehow avoid a severe battering when an unbalanced wheel starts to go epileptic at 80mph?

19. abf"d mk1 Paid Member Paid Member

i would imagine it would be the wheel bearing that would suffer from an unbalanced wheel on the rear. i have also experienced a perfectly balanced wheel when fitted on the front of a car with worn t.r.e. shaking the car violently.

20. benthejettaman Forum Member

cheers mat that is wot i was trying to get at

also i work in the tyre trade so i also get to see the effects of all different types of tyre wear on a daily basis

ps before anyone ask no i dont work for kwik fit or any other rip off company like that