omfg, i cant believe this just happened

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Jolfa, Mar 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Matt, you are looking at it from the perspective of "any old barman". What you are forgetting is that they are good friends. Would you let a friend drive home after he came to see you at your home and had several pints???

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i would have at least had a word, let him know the risks so that i didnt have to put up with a guilty concience. By the sound of it he was probably a seasoned drink driver with the 'ive done it millions of times, itll be ok' view.

either way, jolfa was in a lose lose situation. have a stand up row with his mate, take his keys (would you let anyone take your keys?)

so as ever, people are looking to shift the blame.

it was the drivers fault to driving like an **** too. if he hadnt had attempted to drive quickly, he probably would have made it home! the driver's actions caused him to get into the car and have the crash.

IMO, serving him drinks is not linked in the chain of causation. anyone could have served the drinks.

3. The db

The db Forum Junkie

I agree with Matt on this one

I can certainly see where the golfman is coming from. I'm not a snitch, and I'm not sure if I would report abybody I knew personally to the police if all they did was tell me about a time they drunk drove as its just not my ethos in life (although if I was behind them in the car or a passenger or witnessed tha actual drunk driving then I probably would have to report it). As an individual you have to take responsibility for your own actions.

Golfman, if you have warned him, talked to him, even argued with him about the problem then you have done more than most people would tbh mate.

I have however, and will continue to report suspicious driving on the road if I believe the person is drunk or an extremely bad driver/dangerous to others. I once had to get a taxi I was in stopped by police as the guy was all over the road, and have had to make a call when behind a car before to report suspected drunkeness at the wheel, but of course its now illegal for me to take that action, and detremental to not reporting the crime immediately, from what I know about the law, is the fact that the person has to be caught in their car to be prosecuted propperly.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  4. Alfa_Delta Forum Member

When I was eight years old I saw a cyclist killed by a drunk driver.

That was the first time I'd seen anyone killed and it is a memory that will live with me till my grave.

Whenever I'm out on the drink, I leave my car keys at home. It simply isn't worth it!

Shame to see such a nice car ruined, I'm considering a Merc 190 at the mo - guess that's one less out there for me to choose from.

Only blessing is that no one got injured.

Hopefully it's lesson learned for everyone involved plus another eye opener to the dangers of drunk driving for the members of this forum.

5. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

yeah, hindsight is fantastic.... not really realistic to judge on it on that tho

7. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but so is common sense, and knowing what is right and what is wrong.

8. gorilly Forum Member

haha gutted!

he deserves it...!

he cant of been that drunk, he still managed to aim for the ****ter sitting in that driveway

9. scottymk2 Forum Member

personally if i am driving i will only have 1 pint, usually then i will make it a shandy, and ill have it as my first drink, follow it with soft drinks. if you do that, you can still have a beer with everyone but u remain under the limit no problems.

no excuse for drinking more than that.. in this thread there have been alot of "but if he had 3 and looked fine, walked straight" but at the end of hte day, just cos your not weaving all over the road, doesnt mean your good to drive - if you drink, your reaction speeds will come way down. if an adult or even worse a child ran out in front of you, and you werent concentrating as much as you should have been or had slightly a poor reaction time, it could easily be the difference between killing them or missing them. and you dont have to be ****ed to lose reaction speed.

as for people saying "its not my problem, if my mate drinks" - if your wife or parent or child or best mate gets killed by a drink driver or put into a wheelchair with brain damage, id like to see you have such a blase attitude.

10. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

okok i get the point, i already know im an idiot for letting him drive/serving him and you can say 'what if' as long as you like, but nobody was killed thankfully!

having done this before i didnt expect him to try any adventurous driving, like the land speed record down my street, we're both idiots, but as i said already i didnt post this up for sympathy, more of a warning than anything

lesson learnt, nothing can be done about it now...

11. fthaimike Forum Addict

"having done this before i didnt expect him to try any adventurous driving".

If he's done it before he shouldn't be back on the road especially after the 2nd time.

What an 4ss

12. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

Done this before you are joking, and you knew he was going to be in a car, sorry mate barman or not, you need your head looked at.

Why is it some people think it's ok to watch or give their mates drink knowing full well that they are ging out to drive a car.

As has been said Jofla, what if he had hit somebody like a member of your family, it's only by sheer good fortune, and no luck on yours or his part that he didn't hit anybody, it only gets worse as you know he has driven a car in the past whilst drunk.

13. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Whilst I agree that Jolfa's mate is a total D**K, I really don't see how Jolfa is in any way to blame. There are other bars & other barmen who would also have served him drinks, people who drink & drive will do it whatever anyone tells them.
    I very much doubt that Jolfa would have served those drinks had he KNOWN for a fact that the guy was going to drive & just because he drove to the pub doesn't mean he was going to drive home again.

14. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

I know, but he openly admitted that he has done this before, I really think the alarm bells should have rung a bit more.

So Jofla just to clarify a point have you served him drinks before knowing full well he was going out to drive a car.

15. fthaimike Forum Addict

having done this before i didnt expect him to try any adventurous driving, like the land speed record down my street,

16. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

Yeh Jofla, come to think of it, what kind of driving were you expecting, from a drunk idiotic tw*t.

17. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

binned a merc, not launched into a house at a rediculous pace!:lol:

i was kind of expecting the driving he usually performed after a couple of drinks, normal. i doubt everyone who's posted in this thread have NEVER driven even a bit over the limit...

obviously you havnt dunter because youre a saint[:*:][:[]

18. thegolfman Forum Member

Yeah, thats blatantly obvious!

19. fthaimike Forum Addict

Jolfa the way you worded it makes it sound like he has been done for drink driving before & he was drinking on this occasion but you didn't expect him to drive like an idiot because he only had a few?

20. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

So that makes his driving ok then, obviously more money than sense.

Not a saint, far from it, but sensible enough not to drink and drive, nope I never touch a drop when I've got the car, like many people on this forum, I have too much to lose if caught for drink driving, various studies have shown that even the slightest amount of alcohol, will impair your driving.

Personally I don't want to lose my job, possibly my freedom, my family, and my car as I would never be able to afford to insure it again.

But hey if you think that kind of behaviour is OK, then good for you mate, as I said just wait until one of your mates has killed somebody, thus hopefully you'll get done one day.

It's my opinion that as is shown in your attitude towards drink driving, that you are the type of person, who will get somebody killed on the road one day. This may be a bit harsh, but don't expect any sympathy.

Also thegolfman, I take you agree with his stance after that comment, but oh I forgot you see nothing wrong with it either.

By reading this thread only you Jolfa and thegolfman, are in agreement, that should tell you both something.

Also Jofla you never answered the question have you served him drinks before knowing full well he was going out to drive a car.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.