operation fat mk2

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Guests, Dec 4, 2004.

1. DuBDuDe Forum Member

yeah me to i gotta get my fronts done when i fit the coilies and drop it a lil more at front. Backs are already rolled due to it being pretty low with 8x16's.

The ideal fix for front is to fit G60 wings as also u dont have to cut the lugs off your new G60 arch mouldings, but they cost a bleedin fortune. As i found out when replacing mine during the respray. in the end i just used two new oem gti wings from vag. at 60 odd quid a piece they werent too cheap either but its only got to be done the once i guess.

incidently im using H&R hub adaptors and they are quality.

The best adaptors/spacers to use are the ones that bolt to the hub first then the wheel bolts to them. as do my hub adaptors. but these only come in the thicker sizes like 20mm plus. i think 15mm ones only come in the 'bolt thru' type.

with the spacers that u bolt thru with a longer bolt there is more chance of shearing the bolts.
    Edited by: DuBDuDe

2. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

well done :clap:

i was waiting on someone saying it :thumbup:
    no waaaaaaaaaaay would i ever use longer wheel bolts for risk of this.

as for the folk saying "well done for trying it yourself" - you'd be aswell saying "well done for fecking your car" :clap:

ok so it's "your car" and "at least you tried it yourself"... but if i'd have f**ked my car at at least want someone to tell me rather than me driving around blissfuly ignorant.

if you wanted to keep it longer than til next winter when the salt gets into it then you've gone completely wrong way about it.. as i said earlier, a little knowledge is more dangerous than none...

"at least you tried it yourself..."
    yeah!
    congrats!
    Edited by: darrynK

3. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

I think the reason this thread is lasting so long is because Recardo is a respected forum member. We all look forward to your photographic input, as you have a real talent there.

But I'm afraid that you do need a bit of guidance in the home mechanics department.

If this was a newbie then I think there would have been a different response from people.

I think people were shocked as they didn't expect it from you. I'm not trying to be nasty or anything (you know what I mean).

Oh well, you'll get it fixed and ya car will look great.

Just don't do it again! [:D]

4. Guests Banned

i never said i knew anything about cars, but i have done my car myself....

after paying someone 800 for a service and fitting coilovers i decided i wasnt going to let other people touch my car if i can help it....you either get sticthed up or a cowboy works on your car.

ok so half of you on here insist i have f**ked my car up. to be honest i think i f**ked it up more when i smashed into a stationary car or a the time a car ploughed into me at about 30mph.

whats done is done.....'if' the car rusts ill be the first to let you know and you can all stand round and say i told you so.

all i can say its its only been 4 days and i havent even put the spacers on and people are turning there heads even more. thats why i did it. i know it looks phat.

:)

5. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

I totally with you on the DIY thang. I had to take my audi in the other week for a brake recall.
    All I'm gonna say is they left my engine bay in a right mess all for one lousy plastic pipe!!
    This was the first time I'd taken my car to a dealer. Never again.

Anyways, make sure you post some pics when you have your car how you want it!

6. Guests Banned

no light when i get home [:x] so wont be till the weekend [:^(]

a photoshoot is in order tho ;)

7. vealige Forum Member

Car looks as good as ever mate, be great to see it with spacers on [:D] Im not keen on G60 arches so hopefully when yours is finished it will convince me they can look good :lol: [:D]

8. DuBDuDe Forum Member

mine look good[:$]

see! [:D]

[​IMG]
    Edited by: DuBDuDe

9. LLOYD Forum Member

nice one again , and as has been mentioned you learn something everyday as i too didnt know abot the rear arch needing welded,does this apply to Jetta's as well ?

10. GolfBryan Forum Member

At least you had the b4ws to try mate!! I don't for the FEAR of doing something wrong!

Very nice car also!!!

11. Dubplate Forum Member

how can it be strong as factory if you have cut away the right angle lip [:s] :)

The car is looking subtley hard Ricardo :thumbup: :clap:

12. Andy947 Forum Addict

And that is a good thing, means you wont fuck anything up ;)

And why all the 'recardo i want to suck your cock, you're so awesome for having a go, even if you did it wrong'

Christ, dozens of folk on here atempt far more complicated things such as doing headgaskets and replacing rear beam bushs's themselves for the first time, they never get such blind admiration.... [:[]

13. GolfBryan Forum Member

Ya big bully! ;)

14. Guests Banned

andy how did i do it wrong.....i just havent finished it.

once welded and painted it will be the same as yours??

15. Andy947 Forum Addict

You didnt need to cut the verticl part of the arch at all. Mine still have all of this, jus the inner lip taken off and then spot welded.

As i said in the post towards the bottom of the previosu page, you may still have problems at the 10 and 11 o'clock positions of the rear arch.

Did you notice on the rear arch moulding how it was shaped at these positions so you could still see part of the lip?? This will likely need to be removed, although as your rims are only 7's you may get away with it.

You're jus gonna have to fit the spacers and see what else needs to be done.

16. sportline Forum Junkie

because Andy, people are just trying to make him feel better after know alls like you rip into him for wreckin his car when as he says, he hasnt even finnished it yet.
    it does take guts to have a go yourself, and if no one did, i doubt this forum would even be hear.

17. Guests Banned

yeah andy i know the bit your on about.....i think i will have to take that off too. only a 5min job that one tho.

anyone know where i can get long rivets from.....i had real problems getting the cack halfrauds ones to go through the plastic and metal? so i wanna take them off and try again with something more suited? [:s]

18. Andy947 Forum Addict

VW rivits, they are longer and have a lrge head. 20p a piece or so and have a black head to blemd in.

Really are the best things for the job. :)

19. Guests Banned

cool ill get some of those then, do i need a vw rivet to match? [:s] [:D]

20. Andy947 Forum Addict

Any rivit gun will put them in, if thats what you are meaning.

ETKA calls them A4x14 size if you wish to try get equivalents from somewhere else