Please help, I'm being raped by VW :(

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by 1981GOLFGTI, Dec 15, 2010.

Tags:
  1. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

It doesn't say the amount of hours, it's just a labour total of 180 plus parts at 230.58 & the 71.85 vat

2. golf_nuts Forum Member

This is exactly what i thought as soon as i read that they were making silly demands like the clutch needing to be changed for a g/box oil change...

The likely scenario is they gave the job to their apprentice, who did what most relatively inexperienced mk1/2 owners do when they look at the gearbox, and presume the clutch inspection hole is the oil filling point as it's the only likey looking filler plug...

Hope you get it sorted mate.

3. muppet9966 Forum Member

Couldn't agree with you any more.
    From the day I have my Golf I have been on this forum, and it is a wealth of information with some great guys on here.
    Can't believe the clowns in this dealership!!

4. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Maybe the dealer won't care but perhaps VW UK might, they won't be too keen on the bad publicity especially on a forum that is read worldwide. I suspect that might hurt them more than a single letter of complaint.

It was only an idea[:D]

5. prof Forum Addict

should have asked to see the parts they removed, if the old clutch smelled like cat wee, then they'd filled it through the inspection hole. You'd think they'd have a manual on disc or whatever for a mk1, surely if they were unfamiliar with it they'd check before launching into it

6. N/B

N/B Forum Member

"Erm, sorry sir, we threw out that old TV 'cos it didn't have no HDMI, innit."

[​IMG]

7. CovGTi Forum Member

this story just gets more and more shocking

sorry your having so many problems

8. mk1. Forum Junkie

so you need to be asking why they changed the clutch.[8(]

9. Admin Guest

thats not a lot for 500

sorry

10. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

did they throw i the oil for free then? if its not listed on the bill but it is part of the quote then thats definately ileagal as their charging for a product and service not provided

and thats an even better point, they've given it to you in writing why they didnt change the oil because of diff problems but they also insisted on doing the clutch because it was related to the oil (which its not) so the question to trading standards and the garage is why did they do it?

11. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

also if an engine oil change is part of what they quoted for; and what you expected to pay for, then in theory you have no reason to inspect your own oil due to a fair expectation of their competance. they may have drained the oil but not replaced it or just left it low which explains the knocking noise.

push hard enough and its free rebuild time [:D]:thumbup:

12. pigbladder Forum Addict

thing is ..(assuming mk1 is like a mk2 here) if they did the gear oil change and then you realised the clutch had gone theres no need to drain the oil to swap a clutch

but if the diff bearings are gone then the oil is wasted so that makes no sense

did you request that the looked into any gearbox noises at all? id have thought theyd run it on the ramp and do the work you asked of them , must have test driven it to know the diff bearings are gone

13. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

Hello everyone, hope you're all ok.
    Just updating from yesterday. Phoned the main dealership in the area & they said they couldn't think of any reason why that garage couldn't do the service. They said they shouldve done the gearbox oil without the need to change the clutch. They said the only reason to change a clutch is if it ****ed. As mentioned before my clutch was fine, it is a little stiffer than say a new vw, but all my mk1s have been the same with no problem whatsoever. I told them of the knocking etc, & they said I should take the car back and tell them about it, but I simply do not trust this garage. I had to cut the call short due to being at work, but told them I will be taking the matter further.
    I will be getting VW UKs number tomorrow & phoning them & letting them know. I didn't drive it today as I was scared it might break down on the motorway :(

14. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

I've got it in the car, will get it out & smell it now

15. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

The clutch doesn't smell of cat wee

16. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

he said they had topped my gearbox oil up but as I said I wanted a full change ofGearbox oils. I didn't get charged for this.
    I will be updating with trading standards after my call to VW uk.

17. bigeyd Forum Member

They don't realise a lot of people are on CGTI and the money the dealers make (if they have) skanking people will be lost big style in the long run as word gets around.
    Hope it gets sorted bud.

18. Matty-Westside Forum Member

Check the old clutch to see if it genuinely needed replacing.
    Look at the grooves on the clutch disk and see if it has worn flat (or close to) with the rivets that hold it together, also see if it is oily, as it may have been slipping due to a gearbox oil leak which contaminated the clutch. If its still got life left in it then they definitely have some explaining to do

19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

But what does it look like? It's not just one test. What do both sides of it look like? Are the springs broken? Is the friction surface worn down to the same level as the rivets?

Whilst I can see that you're not in tune with some of the mechanicals here, you're not watching or questioning what you've been presented with at any stage. This is part of the reason you haven't been able to tackle the dealer there and then, sense checking their steps one by one, and that's why you've got a 500 bill on a 29 year old car.

If you're still not sure, try to use www.photobucket.com to put up some pictures.

20. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

they were meant to do the oil as part of the full service. But they said my sump was damaged & they didn't want to remove the drain plug incase they broke it, cue covering backs story. I will get the car running tomorrow & check the engine oil level.

I will be pushing but not for a rebuild, at the very least I want refunding for the clutch & the work I initially wanted doing carried out at another vw garage for free. I can hope eh