Please help, I'm being raped by VW :(

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by 1981GOLFGTI, Dec 15, 2010.

Tags:
  1. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

they were the ones who said they couldn't carry out the work due to neededing a new clutch, then a new seal, then the sump....Can you imagine the price of them getting the gearbox open. It's like talking telephone numbers trust me.
    & yes the car had used quite abit of petrol (super unleaded too :( ...)

2. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

I'm not entirely sure which grooves you mean, i'm on my iPod as the pc is on the blink at the moment but if you message me your number I can send a picture message from my phone. I can see the springs are intact, it is a little oily round the edges but nothing wet/running just dry oil?

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

4. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

I'm sorry I shouldve written it all down. & no access to pc but can send a mobile picture message

5. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

I can get the photobucket app for my iPod, but it needs the software 4.0 installing which I need a pc to do so until i get on another pc with iTunes I will have to send mms message. Sorry :(

6. Matty-Westside Forum Member

Ill PM you my number if you want to send a photo or two of the clutch disk surface. You want to get a photo of the side with the textured pads on it, which shows how much has worn off, and whether its worn down to the top of the rivets that hold it in place...

This is a worn clutch and you can see its virtually smooth and almost worn down to the rivets
    [​IMG]

This is a new clutch and you can see theres deep grooves and the rivets are recessed into the disk
    [​IMG]

7. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I wish I lived near you, I would tear them to pieces. You were badly ripped off.

8. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

hi matty, Ive checked my clutch and it is on the worn side, but I had no clutch slipping etc so why would they refuse to do the original work without the need for a new clutch? If the clutch had gone, say whilst driving, I couldve had my roadside repair pick it up & I wouldve gladly got a new clutch in. But it didn't have any problems before, it was running sweet as a nut :(

9. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

Matty, Is the picture you've shown the clutch plate?

10. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

I'm not 100% on this one, but the ramps they used ran from front wheel to back wheel with some rubber blocks on the sills. I went to jack the car up yesterday to have a look at the sump, & my jacking ridge on the passenger side has collapsed in :( I'm not sure if this couldve been their ramp or just my jacking ridge been old(I haven't had to jack it up since I bought so only just noticed this. Is there another area I can Jack it up other than the ridge & if so I'm guessing I'll need a trolley jack?

11. neil kaye Forum Junkie

sounds like the old style ramps they used when i worked for a VAG dealer,you drive over it square then pull the ramp legs out and set the stool to the jacking point,its possible its their doing,i still belive theyve tw4tted the sump on the ramp and poss theve crushed your jacking point too,if you can get a trolly jack under,get it on the subframe

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

As opposed to what other component?

13. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

I got a few bits with my clutch when I got it back. I just wanted to know if the component pictured is the clutch plate (like I said I know very little)

14. danster Forum Addict

Yes, the component pictured is the clutch plate, or also known as the friction disc.

They do not always have lines on them to tell how worn they are. Some are just a totally smooth surface with the rivet hole depths being a gauge to how worn the plate is.

15. Admin Guest

you'd have got two bits back, the clutch plate and the pressure plate

[​IMG]

Clutch on the right, pressure plate on the left.

16. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

Thanks dan, & yes jon those are the same bits I got back, along with my clutch cable. Thanks :)

17. possle Forum Member

i have just read the thread and im disgusted at how a vw dealership would do this. i work at a ford delearship and this very rarely happens. it does but not to that extent. (everyone think PD lumps with the alloy sumps. threads go quite easy imo) customer has the choice, not it needs this needs that.
    not only charge stupid amounts of money but possibly/likely replaced parts which did not need replacing.
    my first question is that they told you the clutch needed replacing. you agreed which i can understand that (they are the experts) but why change the clutch cable? that says to me that the cable is stretched but lets get a clutch out of him while were at it.
    110 for gearbox oil....HELL NO. i can get castrol 75/90 for 7 a litre (for reference)
    you could of bought me a four pack of lager and i would of changed that for you!!!
    and also if the car drove fine when it went in then i would of refused the work and got a second opinion.

but as said always check this site there is always someone willing to help. the people on here are very helpful and very clever also mk1 O.C. is good to.

rant over, i dont mean to sound patronising in anyway towards you its the fact that vw can do such a thing. by the sounds of it to me you just want to look after your golf. your an hours drive from me and i would be happy to help you out if your stuck with something. as would other people on here.

hope you get it sorted mate

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  18. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

Hi everyone, just an update on my recent thread.
    I phoned VW UK yesterday who gave me the number of the garage I'd taken it to, & names of two of the main people from the garage. I started phoning immediately & it was engaged....all day......& even this morning. So i phoned VW UK again saying the number was constantly engaged. They then put me on hold & said they'd try connect me in call. They put me through to the garage & the 2 peoples names I'd been given hadn't worked there in a long time & one they didn't seem to recognise?
    I then phoned VW UK back up, & they said they will contact the garage & open up a case, & should be back to me within 48-72 hours, whether these people work over Christmas I do not know. They told me I should take the car back to the garage but I'm simply not taking it there ever again. I explained this on the phone, & also how the 1st person I'd spoken to at VW UK said if I wasn't happy with the garage I could take it to a main dealer instead. I would rather be 500 down than ever take my car there again!

19. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

hi mate, thanks for that. Yes I did think sending the car to VW, albeit quite expensive, that I would recieve good service. I didn't think about saying I wanted to refuse the work at the time, I work 12 hour continental shifts(days/nights) & I'd been recieving calls at work firstly with the clutch, then the seal, then the sump, & to be honest I had to get out of work early & get the car out of there, I was furious. Now I'm just dissapointed if I'm honest.

20. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Sorry if I've missed something but wasn't the place you took the car to a main dealer?