polo vr6 conversion 6n

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by powernut, Nov 25, 2008.

1. AngryBob Forum Member

I have no problem with you putting a VR in a polo. Have done similar myself and its great fun.

I've been doing this a long time and i'm telling you that setup is not strong enough. I'm not gonna argue though, i dont really care, if your happy with it, crack on.

-bob

2. powernut Forum Member

bob i reckon if u reckon my setup wont be strong eneogh ,id hate to see ur replys to other vr6 restos ive seen lol ,,scary in a word ,,this wasnt my idea of a vr polo ,,would u agree my t5 bug/vw caddy 4wd/vw split etc isnt strong enoegh as well ,,,take a look ,as if i can get tracksion that will be a 500bhp caddy ,,,(with welded driveshafts ,,,,:lol:

3. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Having read Angrybobs comments, and I'll be honest I'm don't know everything there is to know about these sort of things, but is this bracket strong enough at the piont where it bolts to the gearbox?

[​IMG]

With the weight and vibrations and stresses etc running through where the 3 bolts are, will 3 or 4mm plate with no extra stengthening be man enough for the job? It seems to me with my limited knowledge it looks like enginered strength in with the boxing of the top bit of the bracket where it bolts to the Subframe but not where it bolts to the diff.

I can see it bending and cracking round the bolts myself tbh......

4. powernut Forum Member

hiya pal ,no it wont reason is ive not finshed yet,,,,i just wanted the engine sat in place before i beef things up ,,, ,if u look at the front and say is that ur engine mount id laugh ,as u can see ive just algine things up first before i start beefing things up ,:thumbup:

5. CorradoVR6-Turbo

CorradoVR6-Turbo Forum Member

I think your doing a cranking job lad! that steal will be stonger than the stock pressed tin for sure !

whats the worst that can happen? cracks...then improve it !.

6. powernut Forum Member

cheers i can understand peoples thoughts ideas etc ,,,,but if people try things out out ..i.e do a spot weld and do a seem weld as well as re enforce inside there would find its defo...stronger then a spot welded subframe ,,,,:lol: not to worry ,i supose if it worrys some people then maybe they shouldnt either read the post or do a little reasearch first ,,,:thumbup: but if this is bothering people poeple that mutch please say and ill remove the therd ,,,to save anyone worrying ,,,,,as end of the day its homemade track fun ,,,,not custom ,1000s spent here and there :lol:

7. powernut Forum Member

not mutch to add ,just beefed the mounts up and algined driveshafts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Pricie Forum Junkie

Cracking job mate! :thumbup:

Keep up the good work!

Has your mate got decent shocks or coilovers on his car? just thinking everytime he brakes hard, his cars gonna nut the floor. lol

Hows the turbo caddy doing?

Once again! craking job! :clap:

9. powernut Forum Member

cheers pal ,,just wanted to make sure the mounts werent going to break off ,,ive got some vr6 40mm lowering springs from a mk3 ill get them to fit ,and found some bodge rear coil overs to help assit the damping ,im thinking of cutting the rear boot out to make way for a counter balance weight ,which can be filled with water too ,,,,may help with the weight ratio ,,

the caddy ill be doing a bit on that 2moz so my have a few updates there too,,,;)

10. challice Forum Member

ace may be a heavy lump but hell yes, last thing i saw lie this was a corsa with a calibra
    V6 lump in it...

nice fabricating to:thumbup:

11. powernut Forum Member

yearh ive done one of those ,too that was fun to drive ,, tuck me a week ,,,there easy ,,little tight to fit ,but everthing goes in ,,lol cheers may have a bit more thursday update wise:thumbup:

12. coupechamp Forum Member

i tell you, Some Polo's need extra weight at the front, especially on track, it's one thing mine suffers from, it wont turn in to slow corners like it's big sisters it's trying to beat, and i have a 2 ltr lump and 6 speed box........ and i still need more weeeeiiigghhhtttt....lol good luck and have fun

13. NIK

Nik New Member

Everything dosnt fit easy tho.For a start the rear manifold needs to be cut and the angles reduced for it to clear the steering rack.;)

14. powernut Forum Member

i know ive done one ,,,just depends on some call easy and hard ,sorry i didnt find it too hard to do ,,

15. TrackCab16v Forum Member

awesome fabricating skills m8 , much inspired ,

16. powernut Forum Member

cheers hopeing to get a bit more sorted this week ,,

17. ihaveajetta Forum Member

sweet work !!!! some people are wussys worrying about stuff bein strong, its blatantly gonna be strong n u obviously know what ya doin!

18. powernut Forum Member

trust me ,it wont break my welds ,,;) ,ill try get some updates this week

19. tom-mk2 New Member

fantastic wort there mate!!! i have neva seen a vr going into a polo haha!!

keep up the good work. cant waint to see this done!! =]

20. powernut Forum Member

well i couldnt find mutch info ,,so it cut chop .modify lol seems to be working either way
    bit of an update ,,
    started on the front engine mount and suport bar
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    bit of cutting was needed to get the front pannel back in place ,but at least ,the inlet just misses ,so no need for chopping there ,lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]