Porsche 928. left standing for 10-15 years

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Matt82, May 28, 2008.

1. lufbramatt Forum Member

mmmm 928, thats defo on my list of cars to buy in the future :)

dont spose you happen to have a spare 7x16" alloy off it by any chance? hehe

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

nah, only 4 that are on the car. the rears, im quite sure of it, are wider than the front

3. lufbramatt Forum Member

nah they look like theyre all 7's on that car- the 8" wide ones have a dished effect going on on the little spokey bits at the edge.

Ive got a set of 4 7" wide ones for the passat but noticed the opther day that someone has tried to drill a locking wheel nut off one of them and munched up the bolt seat, wasnt happy :( think itd be ok to run on the back but dont wanna risk it tbh

4. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Just have the seat recut at an engineering shop, unless it was really deeply mangled it'll be fine. Or cut a couple of angled slots on the mating face of a wheel bolt and give it a buzz with a drill - I had to do that on one of my old sets of rims because some prick had used the wrong bolt...

5. lufbramatt Forum Member

one of the holes has gone all the way through to the back of the rim [:x] and the rest of it is pretty deeply mangled. cant beleive i didnt see it when i picked them up [8(] o well i sold the porsche sized tyres for 100 so the 4 rims only cost me 55 in the end.

have spoken to BJV and they wont touch it to weld the hole up, cos its a forged rim? not sure if thats BS though. i googled it and apparently forged aluminium is really good to weld cos it hasnt got any pores in it?

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  6. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

They're probably worried about accident claims - the metel they would weld in (not being forged) would be weaker than the forged ally, so concievably if something ever went wrong they could be held liable. Might be worth trying a small ally welding place, who wouldn't know it was forged and would do it cash in hand?

7. NicD Forum Member

Do it you numpty!

8. Pricie Forum Junkie

I can get any and all car parts at trade prices mattaous.

Just ask if you need anything. [:D]

You know my feelings on this project.

9. mark25 Forum Junkie

The 16v can damage the valves if the cambelt goes, like a 944, some do, some don't. The 32v always wrecks the valves.

10. GRINGOG60 Forum Member

Enough about all this valve bending! Get some pics up of what it looks like now!

11. corradophil Forum Member

Pictures, Matt, Pictures. Come on we're all waiting...

12. grumpy New Member

Drag it out of the garage - replace the battery and stuff half a can unleaded, with a shot of redex or some other boost additive in it. turn key! If it runs check tyres and proceed slowly into road - squeezing brakes! 100 yards of this should get rid of all the black stuff off the discs. if not go shopping! Honestly the 928 build quality is solid - run in - most of the stuff will loosen up with a gentle drive and then start on the stuff that doesn't. Just go easy - let it idle for half hour - slow 'break cleaning' drive and then review.

13. Seraph Banned

Hehe. Amusing thread:clap:

14. Mike_H Forum Addict

1. Negotiate with old man on ownership / share
    2. Get yourself busy on all the porsche forums - You can't use the porscheclubGB ones unless you join (50 ish a year), but there are others
    3. Get a Bentley Manual on CD or paper.
    4. Start ringing round breakers.

I was surprised how many bits ECP and GSF do for my 911 - so try them for a few bits.

I've got some recent porsche club mags if you want to scan through for breakers and parts suppliers - I don't want paying for them, but a bit of postage would be good. PM me!

If you get it back on the road, with that mileage, it could be quite a rare and valuable one. Most of them have been to the moon and back!

AND GET SOME FECKIN PICS UP!!!!!
    (as it is now)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  15. t'mill Forum Member

Why can't i see the pictures of it in it's hayday?? And yes i do have my eyes open before the wise crack merchants reply :lol:

16. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

matt if you dont post pics soon im going to have to assume your telling porkies and there is no porsche in your garage...........now you wouldnt want to be called a lier on an internet forum would you :lol:

17. Claypole Forum Junkie

All talk and no action, ban him. :lol:

18. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

lazy and had lots to do.

its on the front garden now, ill get a pic up tomorrow to stop you lot from moaning lol

19. Aphex Forum Junkie

Cool, I was away when this thread started. Good to see you're starting working on it

20. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

no, its just out of the garage haha