Quaife ATB Diff

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by quattro, Apr 3, 2004.

1. quattro Forum Member

Hi
    was thinking of installing one of these whilst re-building the gearbox on my Golf. Is anyone using one of these at the moment and how do they rate it ? / comments.

Kind regards

2. madmk4 Forum Member

I havnt driven a car wih one in.. (actually thats a lie,i have, just not 'spiritedly'

My dad has one in his car, most people tend to say they kill all understeer, dont make the steering any heavier and outright grip off the line is a million times better.

No good for competition use though.
    Edited by: madmk4

3. AndrewF Forum Addict

traction is greatly increased, you need to alter your driving tho, you don't wanna lift of mid corner (not that you should anyway) as it will snap sideways.

4. eViL Forum Member

I didn't find off-the-line grip improved at all. Definately a billion times better coming out of bend or off islands though..

5. madmk4 Forum Member

Didn't you ?

Maybe it was the way the diff was set..

6. DarrenH Forum Member

theres is no "set" with an atb, its all gears. incidentally the quaiffe atb is identicle to torsen.

7. JEZ

Jez Forum Member

I had one in my last mk2...superb piece of kit :) deffo worth it.

8. dirtydubber Forum Member

Grip around roundabouts in the wet is superb [:D] only the slightest bit of understeer if I plant the throttle right down. Not much difference in a straight line. I was told that if you loose traction on one wheel (ie. lifting the inside wheel mid bend) it makes no difference to the standard diff.

9. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I always thought grip "off the line" was their main bonus - just lucky I didn't buy one then. I think I might just weld one of mine up into a spool - should be fun in the multi-storeys...... ;) :lol:

10. JEZ

Jez Forum Member

grip off the line improved when I fitted mine. Before the diff fitted I could spin up all the way through 2nd gear and even a little in 3rd in the dry....pooty falkens :lol:

After the diff was fitted, same piece of road and same tyres, I could only get a chirp in 2nd gear :)

dirtydubber: it's when you lift the inside wheel that the diff really comes into its own. You would lose all drive with a standard diff whereas the quaife will allow power to the wheel with the grip.

When driving hard through a tight bend the diff would weight the steering up a little, but not excessively (I used to run without PAS and it was fine, I later fitted PAS due to laziness). I also noticed I lost a certain amount of self centering, but then again I liked that.

:)

11. quattro Forum Member

Thanks for all your replies - I have just ordered one ( but havent told the wife) ;)
    Apart from things like syncros and obvious damage/wear is there anything else worth doing or looking at while the box is apart? ie. mods or things to look out for?

many thanks

12. madmk4 Forum Member

Oddball, i think you will find that you can set how 'intrusive' the diff is.

13. H8SV8S Forum Member

With the torque from a VR6SC I'm not surprised!!! [:D]

14. dirtydubber Forum Member

As I said its only something i heard and can't speak for experience, and i'm not sure that the guy I heard it from actualy has one fitted. I think he may have been trying the slate them cos I have one and he dosn't ;) You are obviously speaking from experience so I'm more likely to bleive you :). The reason I said i didn't notice any difference in a straight line is because I never get any wheelspin through the gears, even before the diff. But that is probably just my driving style.

15. ianb Forum Member

Brilliant piece of kit !!!

Mad MK4.............No you can't ;)

Ian

16. DarrenH Forum Member

actually dirtydubber is correct. with the gear based torque biasing diffs, both wheels have to be in contact with the floor for it to work.

the only diffs i can think of where this is not the case are plate types and i suppose viscous setups.

and i also agree that the atb will help with grip off the line. with a standard diff, all the engine power is transfered to whichever wheel is easiest to turn, and the output speed also doubled due to the pinion gearing. with a slip diff you can still get wheelspin, but it would be both wheels !
    Edited by: 0ddball

17. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

change the final drive

I love my 3.94:1

18. Vento_Gareth Forum Member

I have a 24v Vento running an O2A VR6 5 speed, I fitted a 3.94 final drive as I run 18's but I also fitted a Quaife ATB and it is a nice improvement in grip. I have also run a VW Motorsport plated diff with stright cut gears and the improvement over a Quaife is big but that is also why they cost so much money (3,000 for the diff alone!!).

19. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

WTF are you on about?
    ATB diff... not plate diff

snap oversteer is lift mid corner induced not ATB diff induced..

Mine have never done this... chassis setup can, but not the ATB diff in my experience. (MK2 Jetta 16v, Ibiza Cupra, MK4 Golf)

20. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

It only feels that way becasue you back off in a panic as you're not used to cornering so fast, and the only reason the back end steps out is due to lift off oversteer BECAUSE you're going so fast.

Keep your foot planted and just steer through it.