Roids?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by andypaterson, Sep 28, 2010.

1. b'locks Forum Addict

i weigh 75kg with a one rep max of 175kg although i haven't done a 1 rep max for ages now

yesterday i did 150kg 5 x 8 reps

my squat is strong too, doing 125kg for 5 x 5 atm (@rse to the floor, no going to parallel bollox)

my bench is **** in comparison to my other lifts though, i can only do 100kg max lol and currently doing 90kg for reps although i have been held back with a rotator cuff problem for a while arggghh

my lower body and back definately seem to be stronger than my forward pressing movements but I think it's just the way my body's built, I'm quite endomorph with thick bones. i find lifts deadlifts and squats are where i seem to do best and also they feel very natural for me to do.

2. Collie Forum Junkie

i have managed to go down from 16 to 14 .5 stone just by cutting down on my beer and bread. beer belly gone, and i feel healthier

3. prof Forum Addict

good lifts man, I've been out of training fro a while, so hope to progress quickly now I'm back on a mission

watch the Dave tate thing should help.

4. b'locks Forum Addict

can't watch vids at work but just read most of the article, some good advice in there, will try and put it into practise next week! cheers, dude.

5. prof Forum Addict

I'm going to catch you up soon :thumbup:

6. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

Ive only been lifting for 6 months.

My squat has gone from 75kg to 110kg (again **** touching the back of my heels can't stand watching people do half squats) thats 3X8 at that weight not one rep max unsure what it is as haven't tried.

Bench I do DB, and gone from 18kg to 26kg's in each hand 3X8.

Deadlift 65kg to 95kg 2X8

Lat Pull down 50kg to 75kg 3x8 with totally straight back and not leaning back

DB Shoulder press 10kg to 18kg 3X8.

The figures probably don't sound that impressive to you guys but I am almost militant with my form and don't cheat any exercise. If I can't do it perfectly the weight stays as it is. Will show you some progress pics

Im 5"10 and did weigh 92kg and I now weigh 85kg :thumbup:

7. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

I'm afraid I disagree with you Prof on multivitamins and D3

There's more benefit from an egg yolk than a multivitamin. They are jack of all trades, master of none.

D3 is over rated yet is seen as the next big thing.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  8. prof Forum Addict

lots of support for D3 in the literature, Lyle, Aragorn etc all recommend it

I eat loads of egg yolks, multi is just an insurance policy

good work Rip mk3, keep it up

9. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Not another one of these threads..:lol:

10. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Vit D3 was reccomended to Scots recently as the weather and office jobs doesn't let them get enough sunlight. I've been taking 10k ui a day now for months and not a sniffle despite all my colleagues sneezing all round me with colds and manflu - and normally I'll pick up anything. I have got food poisoning, but I don't think it's meant to protect you against dodgy work canteen burgers...

11. danster Forum Addict

I never heard. Not listening to the radio or watching telly must have meant I missed out on that. Mind you I do not go out to work so it is unlikely I would catch anything anyway. :lol:

I must thank Vitamin C though, as it cured my cancer! I kid you not. :o
    Surgeons were all for operating to remove it, but I went freestyle, and for the price of one Vitamin C tablet I sorted it out myself. :thumbup:

12. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Iv got confused with all this weight lifting jargon, im just gona go shoot up some roids...

13. prof Forum Addict

heammoroids?

14. Admin Guest

you at L'boro?

Might be up there in a few weeks.

15. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

well prof most of the ingredients in multivitamins aren't readily available for absorption or not in significant quantities. they are a waste of money.

As for vit D it is over rated with what it claims to cure etc.

We had a 34 page discussion on it here:
    http://community.myprotein.com/adva...ssion-debate-re-benefits-supplementation.html

with one of the highlights being this article:
    http://mpkb.org/home/pathogenesis/vitamind

I think you can only make a balanced opinion if you read all of the above at least the second link

16. prof Forum Addict

I'll investigate further, vit D is good news in the other stuff I've read

17. b'locks Forum Addict

i stopped taking vitamins and fish oils about a year ago and haven't noticed the slightest bit of difference to my health, mood, skin, or anything whatsoever....

18. prof Forum Addict

"Moreover, vitamin D deficiency is associated with an increased risk for nearly all major human diseases such as cancer, autoimmune diseases, cardiovascular, and metabolic diseases. In addition to the treatment of bone disorders with 1,25(OH)(2)D(3), these newly discovered functions open perspectives for the use of 1,25(OH)(2)D(3) as an immune modulator (for example, for the treatment of autoimmune diseases or prevention of graft rejection), inhibitor of cell proliferation, and inducer of cell differentiation (cancer).Kidney International advance online publication, 24 February 2010; doi:10.1038/ki.2010.17"

think I'll keep taking the vit D

19. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Think I will as well - don't want that "doi:10.1038/ki.2010.17" at the end, sounds painful.

20. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

Populations that avoid vitamin D remain healthy despite low levels of 25-D

According to Professor Roger Bouillon of the University of Leuven, “over one billion” people worldwide need to increase their vitamin D intake due to vitamin D “deficiency.”5

Yet, observational studies show that populations which avoid vitamin D consumption have naturally low levels of 25-D and remain healthy with such levels.

Healthy Chilean women – A study which tested the level of 25-D in 90 “healthy, ambulatory Chilean women” showed that 27% of the premenopausal and 60% of the postmenopausal women had 25-D levels under 20 ng/ml.6
    Healthy Bangladeshi women – A study on healthy Bangladeshi women found that approximately 80% of the women had a level of 25-D under 16 ng/ml.7
    Healthy Chinese infants – In a 1992 study, healthy full-term infants from China had serum concentrations of 25-D ranging from an average of 5 ng/ml to 14 ng/ml.8

One research team, studying patients with xeroderma pigmentosum, a genetic disorder in which patients are unable to repair damage caused by ultraviolet light, found that vitamin D levels are maintained even when patients practice at least six years of rigorous photoprotection and not supplementing with vitamin D. More importantly, the researchers also concluded that the clinical manifestations of vitamin D “deficiency” were absent.

The patients all wore protective clothing and sunscreens when outdoors. Estimated mean vitamin D intake was normal. The mean values of serum 25-OHD were low normal, but 1,25-(OH)2D, calcium, ionized calcium and parathyroid hormone levels were normal [italics added]…. Despite rigorous sun protection normal vitamin D levels can be maintained in ambulatory patients with XP.

Armando Sallitto et al. 9

Even when lactating mothers take all but exceedingly high levels of vitamin D – 6,000 IU which is 15 times the United States' Recommended Daily Intake – the vitamin D content in breast milk remains very low.10 This is confusing for advocates of vitamin D supplementation who would think that breastfeeding mothers would give their infant extra levels of vitamin D during formative stages of growth.

The Vitamin D Council, an organization that advocates vitamin D supplementation, states:

One of the great mysteries in human biology is the fact that most human breast milk is deficient in vitamin D. How could Nature overlook such an important nutrient in the “perfect food”?

Vitamin D Council

Ramifications of a simplistic understanding of vitamin D metabolism

Numerous studies have identified patient populations that are “deficient” in vitamin D. Patients suffering from obesity, schizophrenia, fibromyalgia, multiple sclerosis, autism, etc. all seem to be suffering from vitamin D deficiency. One could list hundreds of such studies.

Although it is not unheard of, few seem to explore the possibility that a low 25-D is the result of disease. Perhaps it is because researchers conceptualize vitamin D as they might a resource which gets used up and needs to be replenished – not unlike gasoline when a car runs low. This metaphor is not at all apt, because vitamin D is regulated like the steroid it is.11 12

Large segments of the population are consuming vitamin D at historic levels. Like the first-line treatment for many autoimmune diagnoses, the corticosteroidA first-line treatment for a number of diseases. Corticosteroids work by slowing the innate immune response. This provides some patients with temporary symptom palliation but exacerbates the disease over the long-term by allowing chronic pathogens to proliferate. Prednisone, vitamin D temporarily reduces symptoms of disease, but long-term use dramatically increases the odds of disease relapse.13

In practice, widespread and systematic supplementation of vitamin D may serve to drive a kind of self-fulfilling prophesy. When whole populations are given large amounts of vitamin D, the only members of that population who remain “deficient” are those whose immune systems are fighting disease by actively downregulating 25-D. In other words, the more rigorously vitamin D is added to milk, juice, snack bars, and breakfast cereals, the less likely it is that someone has low levels of vitamin D but no chronic disease.