simplest way of converting a 1990 mk2 PB to VR6

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by G60KG, Jan 20, 2010.

1. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I am confused as the brown and red wire I am talking about go into the 16pin diag port, are we talking about the same wires?

2. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I have bought a 1.3 speedo cable from gsf. Its just has a tiny square drive pin on the gbox end. Do I pull the orange gear thing off the original mk2 cable?

3. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

Ah this takes me back a few years... complete wiring loom stripped back on the kitchen floor, ABF in the garage and a golf to boot...

[​IMG]

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

sorry confused myself there, the red wire goes to a permanent live feed (from factory it would be spliced to ciggy lighter red wire) and brown you just earth.

no, what you do is unscrew the electrical bit off the back of the VR6 gearbox speedo sensor, and screw the 1.3 cable on in its place

5. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Oh yes the electrical part of the speed sensor comes apart from the actual drive bit yes now I remember as I snapped one when removing the engine out of the corrado [:$]

6. nealey Forum Junkie

Hows this coming along, im having a serious think about some vr6 action myself!

7. G-Man Forum Junkie

Go on it makes sense ;)

However i'm still sorting out my wiring from the previous owner [:^(]

[​IMG]

8. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Me too!!!
    [​IMG]

If your struggling with the diagnostic port search for my threads with the word 'diagnostic' in the title and theres a thread with pics of how I did mine, the previous owner didn't bother[:[] :thumbd:

9. G-Man Forum Junkie

Mine's wired up, but couldn't get it to connect fully to the code reader. Think i've sorted it now but tackled more of the wiring has had to remove the old alarm system which was horrid!

Now just trying to remove the electric window system sometime next weekend and finish the remaining 'missing' electrical connections.

10. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Its Alive!!!!

well finally got the engine in yesterday night after a few delays. at around 9:30pm I was determined to get it all plugged in at the engine end, all connected bar the lambda as the exhaust is still buried in the car under whells bumpers etc...... any way I was sure the thing would not start but on first click the fuel pump primed and then turned it all the way and it fired up first time then off after a second, I think this is due to the lambda but only a couple of hours left till completion. thanks for all the guidance everyone :thumbup:

11. nickdrivergti Forum Member

get a vr6 corrado and drop the enigne out with subframe and bolt that on to the golf, the corraado subframe will fit and the engine mounts will alllow you to bolt on to your front cross member, front uprights will fit, rear axle will fit as well. Its the perfact donner car.

12. G-Man Forum Junkie

Glad to hear its up and running! :) Can't wait to get mine on the road and get it weighed and dyno'd :)

13. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

cant wait to road test it all I need to do is secure wishbones to hubs drive shafts to trans and get the front end bolted back on. Still need to wire up the diag port too. Flywheel has gone from 9kg down to 5.7kg so should free up the revs.

14. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Glad to hear its now running. Yes it will rev up very quickly with the lightend flywheel. Engine should fly in the Mk2 as well and sound awesome!

15. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

slight hicup which I need help with. I didnt realise that the vr6 had a fan control unit and electric water pump and that it was plugged into the mk3 lighting loom which I have chopped off.

so need to know the following.

- is the electric water pump essential or can i leave it unplugged?
    - if it is essential what is the best way of getting control unit wired up and working

16. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Right the car has now been put together and everything plugged in but it still starts and dies straight away. Any ideas? could it be transponder related?

17. rubjonny

does sound chap, you mean it fires up for a second a bit then cuts out? oh, and this mind a bit funny, but tries flooring the accellerator as you cranking. someone actually managed to bypass the transponder like that sometimes! was on an 8v tho.

18. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I have tried that too. Basically it behaves the same weather or not the mk3 key is inserted into the transponder ring. I have noticed that there is a thin single pin plug from the transponder box not going anywhere the one coming back from the green plug ( I used the mk3 green plug so everthing is intact)

19. rubjonny

if you put your ear to the transponder box, you should hear it click when the ignition comes on, if not need to have a fiddlke with the wiring! also ideally you want to get vag-com going, then you can check the fault codes on ecu and transponder box. this will tell you if it is indeed the transponder blocking it, and if so why!

20. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Problem solved. Now that i have learnt how to use my multimeter I realised that the transponder box was not getting ignition live from the green plug (not sure why) so I snipped the blag wire and held it on the direct live and the car started. I am so relieved that it was a simple fix. Just need to know a suitable ignition live to tap into on the fuse box as i dont really want to leave it perm live.