speed gun artice

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by gorilly, Jan 23, 2007.

1. gorilly Forum Member

anyone see this in the paper?

[​IMG]

the comment at the end by the home office is just sheer ignorance

i thought they all had to be on tripods now anyway? (because if the police's arm slightly moves when they do the test it will give an inaccurate reading)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  2. Seraph Banned

^
    quote: 'clocked a wall doing 44mph':lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

3. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

Personally, I've never used the mentioned gun, but in any case if you don't have a clear line of sight, the quideleines state that you shouldn't operate the gun at that point. You must have a clear line of sight. It states that a pole was in the way, thus you wouldn't have a clear line of sight, thus the case should have been thrown out.

The Pro Laser 2, is tri-pod mounted, however the Pro laser 3, and TSS falcon, both are hand held, and even if your hand moves it will never alter the speed. When I use the last 2 these are checked on a daily basis, and they are accurate, however if there was a inaccuracy I wouldn't use them.

Re the home office bit, thats he party line, basically if it's operated to the guidelines, it will be only in rare cases will you be able to challenge it. You will never win againsy the government

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  4. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Hmm, you a copper then dunter??

5. fthaimike Forum Addict

They used them on a gadget program & said that if you moved it down slightly along the bonnet as the car was getting closer the speed could jump up so they weren't always accurate?

But the percentage was very low to get the error but it can still happen.

6. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

Unfortunately, aye

7. gorilly Forum Member

from a mate who has a copper mate i have heard that the only place the gun can be aimed at is the numberplate as the rest of the car gives a false reading, so if you get done and your front number plate is cracked, dirty or damaged then the reading will be out.

the mate in question got done for speeding but supposedly it was thrown out of court as earlier that day someone had reversed into his car in a car park leaving him with a cracked and broken number plate (so he said)

8. fthaimike Forum Addict

Did they book him for the plate? :lol:

9. Seraph Banned

thats interesting......given the frequent boasting on here about doing 120mph on the road[:[]

10. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I've clocked the Showrings Pavillion at Shepton Mallet Showground at 8mph with an LTI gun,
    the traffic guy who it belonged to was a bit embaressed.

Apologies for the grammar, I meant to say " to whom it belonged"

11. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

Seraph, I've never boasted aboout doing 120mph, I think you've got your wires crossed.

You can point the gun at any part of the front of the car, it will give the same reading. There is no part of the guidelines that you must point it at the number plate.

Think about it both the devices I mentioned can be operated at night, and if a cars coming towards you with lights on, how on earth are you going to see a number plate. The Pro Laser 3 can pick you up more than 2000 feet away (which is perfectly legal).

The only thing that will affect the reading is the angle you are from the front of the car, even that is tiny amount. Thats why cops stand near or at the side of the road.

Other than objects between you and the car nothing else will affect the reading, especially the Pro Laser 3.

12. gorilly Forum Member

yeah yeah you keep on about guidelines. id like you see you shoot it at a metallic object from 2000 feet while moving your arm from left to right, up and down, back and fourth.

if it measures speed by calculating the amount of time it takes for the signal to bounce back then surely if you moved your arm towards yourself you would make the result appear to be less?

13. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

Look I'm not sticking up for any of these devices, but the end of the day, the courts take them as red, the pro laser only works when it is locked on so if you moved your arm about, it won't make a blind bit of difference. Trust me I've been using them for years so I think I know what I'm talking about.

And yes gorrilly it wil lock onto a vehicle at 2000 feet. By the way this is the maximum distance as set out in the governments guidelines, but it will pick up at distances well over that.

14. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

Gorrilly

Check out the following website

www.tssltd.co.uk

amd check out the specs of the PL III, you have to read it with adobe

15. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Dunter's right, if Police Officer says, under oath, that he used the thing correctly, you (the defendant) can ***** all you like but who will the Magistrate believe?

16. fthaimike Forum Addict

There's a very high chance that the reading was right so not much luck with getting off.

17. JettaTDi

JettaTDi Forum Member

Some of the old guns that were used years ago, you weren't allowed to use them inside the car, because if you pointed them at an air vent it would give a reading.

Also on a more funny note, if you were stupid enough to point the laser at a fighter jet, it's full weapons system would go into overdrive, and lock onto you, you would then blasted.

18. Admin Guest

i think it was a warning to others on the forum about boasting on speeding rather than suggesting you had said the above.

19. fthaimike Forum Addict

I thought it was aimed at him as well :lol: [:$]

20. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

You could walk into a Police Station & say you'd just done 150 in a 30 limit, they couldn't do much about it without further evidence, except for to detain you under the Mental Health Act